Rega Planar 1 & changing records (Queries of a complete noob!)

So,  I'm looking to get into vinyl and plan on getting a 'proper' set-up, with all the key components seperate, as opposed to an all-in-one cheap briefcase style, but I'm merely looking at the entry-level: around £250 for the turntable. I have a couple of queries (please see bottom of post) that I was hoping some of you lovely people with the knowledge I lack, could help me with. Please note: I've done my research and I know considerably more about record players than I did previously but I still have a lot to learn, I'll try to use the correct terminology and refrain from asking the obvious, but I apologise now if I make any stupid errors: I am admittedly an utter novice.

Having done my research, the Rega Planar 1 (2016) appears to be the best bit of kit for the money, at least in the UK (if I was in the US, which I'm not, I'd have probably said the U-Turn Orbit instead) and it sounds great but one silly thing puts me off, and that is the fact you are seemingly forced to keep switching the motor off and on via the switch underneath, which apparently according to Rega themselves, causes undue strain on the motor and the belt, and therefore they advise you leave the platter spinning whilst changing records. I have found mixed opinions on this, and even many audiophiles who have been part of the vinyl community for 30+ years appear to hate this idea and would never dream of potentially scuffing/scraping or dropping their records via having to quickly lift a record spinning at at least 33.3 RPM.

My queries therefore are:

1) Is the strain on the motor/belt really that pronounced? Surely, that would imply the build quality is rather poor, and I am led to believe that Rega are a fairly prestigious and well-respected brand in the world of record players.  Could I switch off and on every time I switch sides/records and still have a bit of kit that will last me decades or will it inevitably break after a fairly short length of time due to doing this? I ask this because I am unlikely to want to upgrade any time soon and may well be content sticking with an 'entry-level' bit of kit for a long time.

2) Assuming the consensus is with the fact that not changing records whilst spinning will have a majorly adverse affect on the life of the motor, my next questions are :just how difficult is it to lift up/place down a record whilst the platter is spinning? will it take a lot of practice to master without hiccups? have you ever tried this and experienced a mishap (such as scuffing a record)? and finally, how on earth do you do this with tiny singles that are spinning at 45RPM and, what about if you want to use a clamp on warped records?

Thanks in anticipation :)

22 hours ago, CloodyBlueless said:

2) Assuming the consensus is with the fact that not changing records whilst spinning will have a majorly adverse affect on the life of the motor, my next questions are :just how difficult is it to lift up/place down a record whilst the platter is spinning? will it take a lot of practice to master without hiccups? have you ever tried this and experienced a mishap (such as scuffing a record)? and finally, how on earth do you do this with tiny singles that are spinning at 45RPM and, what about if you want to use a clamp on warped records?

I have a Planar 3 (which I love) and I flip the records while the platter is still spinning.  I did a fair amount of research and saw split opinions, decided to go with what the Rega recommended.  I've never had any issues doing it, no dropped records or anything.  Regarding 7"s, it's a bit of a pain sometimes, but I also don't listen to them that often.  Don't have a clamp, so I can't really speak to that.

I stop mine (RP3) between records. I give the platter a bit of a start by spinning it before turning it back on. My friend who also has an RP3 doesn't stop his when changing albums. I really don't think you'll cause that much strain by turning it off, whatever option you choose should be fine.

Firstly if you really want a Rega then buy a used Planer 3 or RP3 over a new RP1 every time if you can, the RP1 is a very cheap product dumbed down to try and compete with the lower end Projects overseas.

And to help answer your questions:

1) With the standard Rega platters (glass, delrin, mdf etc.) you use a mat that acts as a slip mat much like on a DJ table which does allow you to flip records whilst they are spinning, now whether that's the correct thing to do is debatable and I personally favour turning the turntable off when changing records and the answer to stress on the belt (stress on the motor is minimal at worst) with any belt drive table on start up is to give the platter a helping spin by hand as you switch it on. And this is the best way to go if you upgrade to an acrylic platter where you don't use a mat at all.

Also another plus point for the older but basically identical Rega tables is that the on/off switch is on the top where it should be.

2) refer to 1) really and there's no need to worry

I have the RP1. I think its a good option for the money. Mine wobbles a bit and others have found the same but I honestly can't hear any effect from the wobble even when listening with Sennheiser Studio headphones. Rega says the wobble occurs as its an entry level product and the wobble is within the tone arm's tolerances. Make of that what you will. I think it sounds great. I flip records when it is spinning, just hold my fingers on either side and kind of grab and lift in one motion. Took me once or twice to get the hang of it but its not hard to do. 

Edit: As mentioned earlier, the RP3  would be a better turntable but its also more expensive. I didn't have the funds available so went with the RP1

Edited by ebert

I have the Rega RP40. I replaced the felt mat with an 3mm acrylic platter mat (link below). I never turn the motor off, but I use a TTPSU (if that matters). No damage to my LPs that I can tell. Just keep spinning the albums!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Turntable-Black-Slipmat-Made/dp/B01NAHMUFW?th=1&psc=1

Edited by zdkaiser

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post.

From what I can understand, it would appear that removing and placing records to and from the platter mid-spin is a fairly easy task that'll not cause any damage to the vinyl, but, equally, if I was to opt for turning the TT off and back on again every time I either change a record or flip sides, then any added wear on the machine is minimal at best and therefore, basically it's just personal preference, either options are fine and ultimately, there is zero cause for concern, just enjoy playing records. Is that pretty much it?

Also, a bit cheeky but instead of starting up a whole new thread. Anyone got any recommendations on a good amp and set of speakers that would pair nicely with the P1? My current finances are not the best but I'd really like to experience vinyl, albeit at a relatively bare-bones entry-level for the time being, as soon as possible. Therefore, while I appreciate the Marantz 5000 amp and the Mission LX2 speakers are not the best pieces of hi-fi equipment, by a long shot, would they be more than adequate paired both with one another and with a P1? If not, any cheaper entry-level receivers and speakers that would go well with a P1? My maximum budget right now is £550 and preferably I'd like to get some speaker stands in with that too (I know, I'm not asking for much!). The LX2's seem to get very good press and seem to be among the most well revered among the entry-level speakers available but I have heard that they can be troublesome when pairing. Not sure if understanding the sort of music I listen to would help at all but I generally listen to rock from the 60s onwards,  my favourite artist is Electric Light Orchestra, I like a lot of the classics like The Beatles and The Kinks, and some more alternative bands such as Pixies and The National, I also listen to quite a lot of snyth (OMD, Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, Human League etc), as well as some classical, a bit of ska and I occasionally like to listen to something mellow and relaxing with a female vocalist, such as Enya! 

• 1 month later...

P1 is a great choice, but I would recommend upgrading the cartridge as soon as you can they put the carbon cartridge on to keep the price competitive but if you even put a $100ish cartridge on it you will see a noticeable improvement in sound quality. It's a really well made table, the 2 even moreso.