PO: A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant 2xLP (Out on 4/20)

jhulud

Oof, that artwork...

$125 for a standard 2xLP and CD in a box with a deck of cards and a prism. I like deluxe box sets if they offer me more music, or an improved listening experience.   Cards, art books, or trinkets, not so much.

i hope it’s a great album as I like the music on the other albums.

Just listened to "TalkTalk" and while it was pretty good and "The Doomed" was pretty good, this new output is devoid of most of the unique tropes of classic APC songwriting and the beautiful approach to leads and riffs that Billy Howerdel made a name for himself with.  I'm still going to buy this but I miss the dynamic of the original band and the way it felt like an actual cohesive band instead of just a couple dudes in the studio adding layers and instruments. Just feels bloated and over the top. Nothing feels raw anymore. I'll give it a chance and add it to my collection but I'm not sure I'm going to love it.

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

Oof, that artwork...

$125 for a standard 2xLP and CD in a box with a deck of cards and a prism. I like deluxe box sets if they offer me more music, or an improved listening experience.   Cards, art books, or trinkets, not so much.

i hope it’s a great album as I like the music on the other albums.

Eh, Maynard sold out long ago. Once you have a store dedicated to nothing but kitsch, and autographed material jacked up hundreds of dollars. It's hard not to see him in a hypocritical light after what he wrote early on, then he just became another cog in the music $ystem, taking full advantage of it like anyone else.

I say this as someone who loves most of his material, particularly the first few Tool albums.    

2 hours ago, ethereal said:

there will probably be an RSD related release for this. it seems too much of a coincidence that it’s coming out around the same time and RSD social is promoting the release. I guess we will see

I would bet my money that this will NOT be released on RSD especially since RSD posted it. RSD doesnt like to promote albums that are RSD until the list has been posted. 

6 minutes ago, ntslash said:

Anyone else thinking about not ordering just because of the artwork? I don't think I've ever passed on an album because of artwork, but damn that's bad. 

I’m thinking about not ordering because the singles are boring, eMotiv was garbage, and I haven’t been impressed with Maynard’s output since the last APC record.

I’ll listen to this one.  Hopefully the singles make sense in context and it’s a good record.  If it’s worth buying on vinyl, I’ll get whatever copy is around - hideous artwork or not.

Edited by highfives