PO: A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant 2xLP (Out on 4/20)

jhulud

8 hours ago, beags said:

What's everyones thoughts on these tracks after we've had a few weeks to digest them??

They're definitely growing on me, TalkTalk is probably my favourite of the lot, with Disillusioned being a close 2nd and then The Doomed. 

If Disilusioned didnt have that slow, boring verse about putting the silicone obsession down, it would probably be in my top 10 APC tracks of all time...

Overall im pretty hyped for this though! Definitely a grower!

I'd agree with your ranking. Looking forward to the album.

• 1 month later...

This last single is like a fucking bad 30 Seconds To Mars song. A BAD one. The band is already pretty bad. This is like a bad cut from a bad band. All these songs have been pretty weak.  "The Doomed" and "TalkTalkTalk" are pretty good. The other two are bad to terrible.

3 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

This last single is like a fucking bad 30 Seconds To Mars song. A BAD one. The band is already pretty bad. This is like a bad cut from a bad band. All these songs have been pretty weak.  "The Doomed" and "TalkTalkTalk" are pretty good. The other two are bad to terrible.

Agreed. How the mighty have fallen. How can you seriously get excited about this shit? 

Edited by skycriesmary

eMOTIVE was bad. Just unengaging for the most part. The worst part was that it was not even original songs, I don't care how re-worked the instrumentation was. Those weren't truly APC songs. Just reinterpretations of classics. Thirteenth Step had great songs but some small bits here and there felt uninspired. Solid album though. Mer de Noms is the greatest. I wish they could get back to a place where they wrote beautiful songs with just two guitars, bass, drums and vocals. That original sound is so wonderful and Billy's sense of melody and composition was so imaginative in that configuration. This new album just feels flat and over-produced. Feels like everything got beat aligned to a grid and had midi piano dropped on top and smashed into the mix. Sounds like the horrible new way of producing music. Might as well have hired Max Martin based on how some of this sounds.

It sucks to say that because I really loved this band for the first two records. I can't even describe how much I loved them then. 

I'm still yet to listen to new single(s), but first ones grew on me with the time. I hope it will not disappoint as a whole as I share the same feeling to the old albums as mcpherson123. And have first chance to see them live in June, but the lineup is getting shorter and shorted in terms of members..

Anyway - lazy question - where to get white vinyl at cheapest price?

Seen them back in November and would still highly recommend it. MJK & Billy were firing on all cylinders 

And speaking of Thirteenth Step, it took me YEARS to fully appreciate it after it also being a pretty big departure musically from Mer De Noms. 

New one reminds me a lot of 13th step in terms of tone/vibe.

Oh shit, I forgot I pre-ordered the white from Bullmoose. Just got a shipping confirmation. I wasn't gonna purchase it after hearing the first three songs... But oh well, c'est la vie... Maybe it'll grow on me. 

Then I could get some medication for it...

Edited by VinylMario
dammit

26 minutes ago, beags said:

Apparently this has leaked... Are we able to link a source for download here or is that illegal? Would love to dive head first into this asap

Are you asking because you want to post the link or because you need a link? Anyways... no you are not allowed to post links to download music for free on a message board hosted by a music store.

If only there were a Kingdom for Leaks such as this?

my biggest issue with this album has nothing to do with the music. its the artwork. holy shit, its bad. looks like a cover you'd have seen from a third rate nu-metal band in 2002. anyway, i gave the album a few full listens today and i kind of dig it but its definitely no mer de noms or thirteenth step. so, if you go into it with that sort of hope you're definitely going to be disappointed. 

So I had decided not to purchase this due to the previous songs that have been released, but I had forgotten that I jumped the gun a couple months ago and pre-ordered the indie variant from Bullmoose and received it today. Ssssssoo...I gave it a few spins and the verdict is... It's not as bad as I thought it would be. But only when not comparing it to the first two and taking it as a stand alone release. It does not compare to to the first two which I absolutely love and cherish. It's definitely a grower, but it is very dynamic and very produced.

So I'm not angry at myself anymore, lol

On 4/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, KingTacoMunster said:

actually was looking forward to listening tomorrow and finally checked out "so long and thanks for all the fish" and holy crap its horrible. totally wasn't expecting that. kinda bummed.

Listened on the way home tonight in hopes it’s good but oh my it’s fucking awful

On 4/19/2018 at 3:29 PM, beags said:

It's taken me a few listen throughout but I'm absolutely loving the album now. Thanks for all the fish is great, and I hated it at first. In saying that I'm a bigger APC fan than tool (just) so the clear lack if heaviness and anger in the album isn't the end of the world for me

I'm a much bigger Tool fan than APC fan, and I love this album. I had it on repeat all day. Still hate that fucking artwork though.