PO: Dr. Dog - Critical Equation OUT 4/27

25 minutes ago, swb said:

Confirmed that that's why the sequencing is different. Their keyboardist replied to a comment on Instagram saying that they submitted the track listing for the vinyl production process then, later, had a change of heart and changed the sequence for all mediums afterward. IMO, the vinyl track listing is better. I don't like all the familiar pre-release tracks stacked at the top and there's something nice about the record starting by "coming out of the darkness" on a bright note and then ending with an energetic, rowdier song about "going down fighting".

Yeah. I love Dr. Dog but they have slowly gotten so deep into Dr. Dog over the last few records that they've lost some accessibility outside of hardcore fans, IMO. Based on one of the interviews last week, I think they reached a breaking point (or had a realization) when they recorded Abandoned Mansion, sat on it for a year plus, and then when they went back to release it, they realized they didn't really dig it very much.  Having a producer to guide them a bit helps them stay focused on making good rock/pop/folk/jammy songs instead of making very Dr. Dog-y Dr. Dog songs, if that makes sense. My anecdotal experience is that I've tried convincing indie rock loving friends to give them a shot for the last 6-7 years and they haven't been able to get into their records (outside a handful of songs) but I've had friends tell me they really dig this album. 

That's crazy to read. Abandoned Mansion is incredible.

Long time Dr. Dog fan here. My opinion on this and everything else after Shame, Shame really,  is that they continue to make fantastically consistent records. However, they're just getting boring. The music is great, but I cant help but feel like I've heard every song off Critical Equation about 500x already

35 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

That's crazy to read. Abandoned Mansion is incredible.

I wish I could remember the magazine/site but the lack of excitement on Abandoned Mansion came from the band themselves. I think it was Eric Slick being interviewed and he said their recording and release method, and even the name they chose, made the album feel like a b-sides record for people and he didn't necessarily disagree. I like AM a lot personally but I do view it as kind of a loose collection of songs rather than a strong studio record.

Although this new one does sound like standard Dr. Dog, it really was an effort by them to re-group and re-focus. I think they succeeded–not based on this being some wild new era for them but by the songs being tighter and having more accessible production. I'd have loved to hear what the best of B-Room, Abandoned Mansion, and Swamp sound like with this kind of production.

Edited by swb

14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Long time Dr. Dog fan here. My opinion on this and everything else after Shame, Shame really,  is that they continue to make fantastically consistent records. However, they're just getting boring. The music is great, but I cant help but feel like I've heard every song off Critical Equation about 500x already

Dr. Dog is the best Dr. Dog cover band!

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, maximuss said:

Some Christmas songs are coming on vinyl from Dr. Dog. 

The limited advanced copies for PIAPTK super fans are gone, so I think it's OK to post a direct link now.

http://piaptk.limitedrun.com/products/627181-dr-dog-oh-my-christmas-tree-100-upcycled-record

I've been chasing after the tree shaped vinyl version of this for years. Super stoked to finally own a physical copy on a weird laser disc lathe with handmade covers. I'm hoping I get the Father of the Bridge one.

• 2 weeks later...