PO Soon: Hayden - Moving Careful (20th anniversary)

bridley

Looks like a 20th anniversary of Moving Careful is on its way with added bonus material.

From Hardwood Records:

Hardwood Records will release the second piece in its 20th Anniversary Vinyl Series with Hayden’s Moving Careful on March 9, 2018 on digital and limited edition vinyl formats. This vinyl is the first pressing since the original 10” and features the original EP from 1996 with added rare recordings from 7” singles released between 1994 and 1996.

“After touring my debut, Everything I Long For, across Canada for the better part of two years from 1994-96, I celebrated its imminent International release by developing a strong dislike for the sound of my music. A major sticking point in my negotiations with Outpost Recordings (my US label at the time) was to have the ability to release singles and EPs on my own or through smaller labels. They agreed, and Moving Careful was born from late night obsessions on the third floor of a rented Victorian house in Toronto. Although much of my debut was recorded on a 4-track cassette, I was eager to get back to my Yamaha MT100 II, and very inspired by what Eric’s Trip and Lou Barlow were doing at the time.”

Moving Careful was released on Hardwood/Sonic Unyon in late 1996. Side Two of this 20th Anniversary edition also includes home recordings from the time period, things that Hayden had tucked away and found homes on Canadian Indies like Lunamoth, Landspeed and Squirtgun.

Side One:
Pots and Pans
Stride
Middle of July
Old Fashioned Way
Half For Me
Choking
You are All I Have

Side Two:
A Fortune I’d Kept
Hazy
I Wake Up With Me
Mild
Winter Trip
Carry On Mentality
Wasting My Days Away

Edited by bridley

3 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

yessssss. So into this. I love all of these songs. This was my dream - moving careful plus all of the singles!

Totally. Despite having the original 10" all the 7"s I am INTO this. Little worried about the March 9th sale day though as I am flying home from a work trip to Ventura California that day and am likely to be without reliable service. 

Either way, stoked that Hayden is doing this. 

6 minutes ago, bridley said:

Totally. Despite having the original 10" all the 7"s I am INTO this. Little worried about the March 9th sale day though as I am flying home from a work trip to Ventura California that day and am likely to be without reliable service. 

Either way, stoked that Hayden is doing this. 

There was no indication of just how limited (though guessing from literally every other album he's put out other than the A&C albums, it'll be a low pressing count). But I'll try to buy an extra copy if I can just in case - if you can't get one, holla at me.

Also, I know/have heard all of the 7 inch tracks (and A Fortune I'd Kept from the More of Our Stupid Noise comp, which was a favourite when I was 14), but the only instance of Winter Trip, to my understanding, was from demos for The Closer I Get. Did it come out in any other way?

22 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

There was no indication of just how limited (though guessing from literally every other album he's put out other than the A&C albums, it'll be a low pressing count). But I'll try to buy an extra copy if I can just in case - if you can't get one, holla at me.

Also, I know/have heard all of the 7 inch tracks (and A Fortune I'd Kept from the More of Our Stupid Noise comp, which was a favourite when I was 14), but the only instance of Winter Trip, to my understanding, was from demos for The Closer I Get. Did it come out in any other way?

Thanks for the offer! If I'm on a plane or stuck without a signal somehow I'll happily buy it off you. I'll let you know either way. 

Winter Trip, to my knowledge isn't out anywhere. Even though I've been a big fan since early on I don't remember ever even hearing it. It's the one track I guess I'm most excited for. 

Now on the webpage, but not yet up for sale. Appears to be $30. Also not clear on how limited, but based on the previous Hardwood albums, I would venture no more than 1000.

http://hardwoodrecords.bigcartel.com/product/moving-careful-rarities-20th-anniv-ltd-ed-vinyl

17 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Now on the webpage, but not yet up for sale. Appears to be $30. Also not clear on how limited, but based on the previous Hardwood albums, I would venture no more than 1000.

http://hardwoodrecords.bigcartel.com/product/moving-careful-rarities-20th-anniv-ltd-ed-vinyl

Up for early preorder mailing list subscribers  now. Grabbed one despite floating on an East African island in the Indian Ocean right now. Good timing with the WiFi, so no need to worry about hooking me up Mr. Crosley. 

Edited by bridley

8 minutes ago, bridley said:

Up for early preorder mailing list subscribers  now. Grabbed one despite floating on an East African island in the Indian Ocean right now. Good timing with the WiFi, so no need to worry about hooking me up Mr. Crosley. 

The Hayden love knows no boundaries. I picked one up for myself as well. Super excited for this album - I have such a special affinity for this era. My family was travelling by car to Vancouver in 1998, and I looked in the classifieds to find out that Hayden was playing a night we were there, and awkward 14-year-old me went on my own to see him. I picked up a copy of Carry On Mentality (later badly damaged and since sold), and it just felt like a really special night. It was 17 years before I saw him live again (though have seen him three times in the last few years).  Can't wait to get this.

19 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Mailing list pre-order notice confirmed /1000.

6 hours ago, Clownshow said:

Grrrr, how did i miss this, now sold out for pre-order mailing list.

Yeah, all Hayden social media has made it hard to miss so I'm surprised anyone who'd want this album could miss out.

You shouldn't worry though, it took a while for the preorder to sell out, so I assume it shouldn't be too hard to order from the site on release day. Just make sure you visit the site early EST on the 9th.

On 16/02/2018 at 9:31 AM, Sidney Crosley said:

yessssss. So into this. I love all of these songs. This was my dream - moving careful plus all of the singles!

Thanks for doing that legwork. I like Hayden, especially the early 2000s "comeback" era but literally have never heard the original EP so will go into this 2xLP edition cold once the pre-order window opens. Hopefully I can sell a CD (of all things) on Discogs to pay for it by the 9th.