PO Now! Underoath - “Erase Me” (Out April 6th)

RadDonut

12 hours ago, drawcody said:

Just throwing this out there, but if someone picked up the Emo Nite exclusive viny, I’ll trade my Smartpunk clear with acid splatter for it.

I'm going to their acoustic show in Lancaster next Friday if you wanna message me your info on how to get up with you that evening. They might have it there since they have an emo nite afterwards.

My 180g Acid green and the 7" box set arrived today. 

The LP is nice and all but I have to give props to the 7" box set. Although completely impractical, and mostly a collector's item, it came out really nice. The box is super nice and the whole thing is pretty heavy. I'm very impressed on how it turned out. I'm not even going to unwrap mine because, again, so fucking impractical. Still, a solid buy. 

4 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

My 180g Acid green and the 7" box set arrived today. 

The LP is nice and all but I have to give props to the 7" box set. Although completely impractical, and mostly a collector's item, it came out really nice. The box is super nice and the whole thing is pretty heavy. I'm very impressed on how it turned out. I'm not even going to unwrap mine because, again, so fucking impractical. Still, a solid buy. 

So not to be rude, but how are you determining that it turned “really nice” and was “a solid buy” if you haven’t opened it up yet to examine the craftsmanship or quality of the pressing?  I’m all for people keeping this Underoath album sealed and off their turntables, but I’m just curious what you’re gauging off of.  Like, did you unbox it and hold it in your hands, and think to yourself wow I was expecting a light 7” case but this has some heft!  I am impressed.  This is a good product.  I am content with the weight of this...?  Doesn’t matter but would still enjoy hearing the thought process.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

So not to be rude, but how are you determining that it turned “really nice” and was “a solid buy” if you haven’t opened it up yet to examine the craftsmanship or quality of the pressing?  I’m all for people keeping this Underoath album sealed and off their turntables, but I’m just curious what you’re gauging off of.  Like, did you unbox it and hold it in your hands, and think to yourself wow I was expecting a light 7” case but this has some heft!  I am impressed.  This is a good product.  I am content with the weight of this...?  Doesn’t matter but would still enjoy hearing the thought process.

Opinions and shit.  I wasn't expecting the packaging to be so nice.  I have now purchased 4 copies of this album, so it's not like I'm keeping it sealed for some heinous reasons.  I bought this strictly as a novelty piece.  A collectors item.

I think I made it clear that I was not referring to the audio quality by saying I'm keeping it sealed.  I think that this is a solid buy for anyone who collects Underoath records.  I think this because it surprised me when I opened it and felt how nice the box is.  The alternative artwork is nice.  The packaging is solid.  The weight feels like it was sturdier than most box sets, at least what I own.  I kind of compared it to the Touche Amore 7" box sets that they put out which are just in glorified pizza boxes.

Also, I don't need to have to defend my opinions to you.  You're always such a Debbie Downer about everything so it doesn't surprise me that you picked apart my post just for the hell of it.  Is this even a topic that you care about or did you just stumble in here to put other people down.  I don't mean that facetiously, you seriously do this in almost ever topic on this board.

24 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

Opinions and shit.  I wasn't expecting the packaging to be so nice.  I have now purchased 4 copies of this album, so it's not like I'm keeping it sealed for some heinous reasons.  I bought this strictly as a novelty piece.  A collectors item.

I think I made it clear that I was not referring to the audio quality by saying I'm keeping it sealed.  I think that this is a solid buy for anyone who collects Underoath records.  I think this because it surprised me when I opened it and felt how nice the box is.  The alternative artwork is nice.  The packaging is solid.  The weight feels like it was sturdier than most box sets, at least what I own.  I kind of compared it to the Touche Amore 7" box sets that they put out which are just in glorified pizza boxes.

Also, I don't need to have to defend my opinions to you.  You're always such a Debbie Downer about everything so it doesn't surprise me that you picked apart my post just for the hell of it.  Is this even a topic that you care about or did you just stumble in here to put other people down.  I don't mean that facetiously, you seriously do this in almost ever topic on this board.

Nah dude what you said was hilariously dumb and I'm sure most people were scratching their head by the end of it.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, Sunshine said:

The Jews are mostly bad. Heard about Weinstein? And how they killed Jesus? At least Christian terrorists keep it IN AMERICA.

Speaking of hilariously dumb....

It didn't even take me more than one page to find the most ridiculous post in this thread.

Edited by Buffbloom
assholes

4 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

Well that’s completely hyperbolic.  I share the hype for releases I anticipate with others.  I stay out of threads for music that doesn’t capture my interest.  And I participate in (some) discussions for releases for bands I relate to or have a history with.  My posts typically fall into one of those 3 categories.

I listened to this band a fair bit in high school and college.  I used to own their records.  I have things to say about them.  Just because I’m not delusionally deepthroating this band and cupping their balls does not revoke my right to post in this thread.  Sorry dude.  I’m sure the world would be a better place if everyone only had positive things to chip in at all times... but quite frankly, that’d be a pretty boring read.  Wouldn’t it?  Diversity is a hell of a thing.

Looking back on this thread, I feel like there’s a handful of people still stoked on this release – good for you guys – and a broad stroke of users who are pretty disappointed with the direction the band has taken.  We’ve been having some jokes at the expense of ribbing the band’s new sound.  I’ve basically had my fill of faux-shaming fans of this record in good fun, since I strive not to beat too many dead horses.  I assumed most people interpreted it in good jest.  But if you really want to get offended or assume that I’m brooding behind my phone while I type this, that’s fine.  But that sounds like a personal problem.

My prior post wasn’t even being a “Debbie Downer” – to me, this really and sincerely suggests that you have an issue interpreting posts on the internet.  Or at least mine.  That’s something we can stick a pin in for now, though.  In actuality, like I said, I was genuinely curious to hear how you can determine the quality of a 7” boxset by picking it up.  I just wanted to know if there’s a universal weight that they’re expected to clock in at.  And how you can assess the material and deem its quality from behind the shrink wrap.  I honestly don’t care that you’re stoked on this release, man.  Bully for you, for owning 4 copies of a new Underoath record in 2018.  That’s great.  I was just hoping you’d provide some insight on how you determine something’s quality without opening it.  If you had said that it makes a fine paper weight or half a bookend for small novels, then I wouldn’t have said a word.  But to praise a vinyl release while not listening to it or even opening it to exam is... well, puzzling.  I guess that’s the word I’d use there.  I can probably find a record or two on my shelf that feels heavy to hold but is poorly constructed and pressed onto vinyl.  Let it be said that this is not me trying to impose on your right to own variants or collect sealed ones.  You are more than welcome to do that and make claims that they’re quality - determined by their weight - but I’m also allowed to question the logic there.  That doesn’t make me an asshole and it doesn’t mean I’m pissing on your parade.

I will give this record a proper listen when it’s available to stream.  I’ve spent enough time in this thread that I feel like I at least owe it that much.  I’ll make sure I keep it super serious though, and not horse around at all.  Did you want me to add spoiler tags to the critiques I may have, so you don’t have to look at them?  I plan on listening to it with a very open mind but I can make no promises on how my thoughts may flow.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Well that’s completely hyperbolic.  I share the hype for releases I anticipate with others.  I stay out of threads for music that doesn’t capture my interest.  And I participate in (some) discussions for releases for bands I relate to or have a history with.  My posts typically fall into one of those 3 categories.

I listened to this band a fair bit in high school and college.  I used to own their records.  I have things to say about them.  Just because I’m not delusionally deepthroating this band and cupping their balls does not revoke my right to post in this thread.  Sorry dude.  I’m sure the world would be a better place if everyone only had positive things to chip in at all times... but quite frankly, that’d be a pretty boring read.  Wouldn’t it?  Diversity is a hell of a thing.

Looking back on this thread, I feel like there’s a handful of people still stoked on this release – good for you guys – and a broad stroke of users who are pretty disappointed with the direction the band has taken.  We’ve been having some jokes at the expense of ribbing the band’s new sound.  I’ve basically had my fill of faux-shaming fans of this record in good fun, since I strive not to beat too many dead horses.  I assumed most people interpreted it in good jest.  But if you really want to get offended or assume that I’m brooding behind my phone while I type this, that’s fine.  But that sounds like a personal problem.

My prior post wasn’t even being a “Debbie Downer” – to me, this really and sincerely suggests that you have an issue interpreting posts on the internet.  Or at least mine.  That’s something we can stick a pin in for now, though.  In actuality, like I said, I was genuinely curious to hear how you can determine the quality of a 7” boxset by picking it up.  I just wanted to know if there’s a universal weight that they’re expected to clock in at.  And how you can assess the material and deem its quality from behind the shrink wrap.  I honestly don’t care that you’re stoked on this release, man.  Bully for you, for owning 4 copies of a new Underoath record in 2018.  That’s great.  I was just hoping you’d provide some insight on how you determine something’s quality without opening it.  If you had said that it makes a fine paper weight or half a bookend for small novels, then I wouldn’t have said a word.  But to praise a vinyl release while not listening to it or even opening it to exam is... well, puzzling.  I guess that’s the word I’d use there.  I can probably find a record or two on my shelf that feels heavy to hold but is poorly constructed and pressed onto vinyl.  Let it be said that this is not me trying to impose on your right to own variants or collect sealed ones.  You are more than welcome to do that and make claims that they’re quality - determined by their weight - but I’m also allowed to question the logic there.  That doesn’t make me an asshole and it doesn’t mean I’m pissing on your parade.

I will give this record a proper listen when it’s available to stream.  I’ve spent enough time in this thread that I feel like I at least owe it that much.  I’ll make sure I keep it super serious though, and not horse around at all.  Did you want me to add spoiler tags to the critiques I may have, so you don’t have to look at them?  I plan on listening to it with a very open mind but I can make no promises on how my thoughts may flow.

Alright, enough of this nonsense.  I think that I just took what you wrote a little too personally.  I'm over it.  We're both veterans of this board and we're entitled to our own opinions... Which I don't think are that different.  This album, from what I've heard so far, is a flop.  We'll see how I feel about that tomorrow.

I don't want to argue.  I'm not even good at arguing.  I just felt like my original post made it clear that I was talking about the product as an Underoath collectors item, not necessarily a record that even has music on it.  And I know that sounds incredibly dumb... I don't even know why I bought the box set.  I just felt like I had to have it because I think it's cool.  As a coaster, a bookend, or whatever, I'm impressed how this came out.  

Sorry I was butthurt for a minute.

6 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

Alright, enough of this nonsense.  I think that I just took what you wrote a little too personally.  I'm over it.  We're both veterans of this board and we're entitled to our own opinions... Which I don't think are that different.  This album, from what I've heard so far, is a flop.  We'll see how I feel about that tomorrow.

I don't want to argue.  I'm not even good at arguing.  I just felt like my original post made it clear that I was talking about the product as an Underoath collectors item, not necessarily a record that even has music on it.  And I know that sounds incredibly dumb... I don't even know why I bought the box set.  I just felt like I had to have it because I think it's cool.  As a coaster, a bookend, or whatever, I'm impressed how this came out.  

Sorry I was butthurt for a minute.

No harm done.  I don't aim to truly suck the wind out of the sails for this album – I think that it has its work cut out for it if it wants to impress Underoath fans, as a whole, but if there's a group that really enjoys it, that's great.

4 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

Also!!  Remember, I'm the person on this board who weighs all of my records.  Like, why do I weigh them?  I don't even know why I do it but I feel like I have to keep doing it because I started doing it 5 years ago.

There's a lot wrong with me.

Are you actually the guy who weighs the records?  That's funny.  I forgot all about that, and haven't read mention of it in years.  I do recall seeing that thread back in the day though.

Just now, Derek™ said:

No harm done.  I don't aim to truly suck the wind out of the sails for this album – I think that it has its work cut out for it if it wants to impress Underoath fans, as a whole, but if there's a group that really enjoys it, that's great.

Are you actually the guy who weighs the records?  That's funny.  I forgot all about that, and haven't read mention of it in years.  I do recall seeing that thread back in the day though.

I actually am that guy... And weighing records is about the most normal thing that I do in life... When I first started listening to records I thought that the weight of a record was somehow directly related to it's sound quality.  I don't think I've actually weighed one in over a year though so I'm in recovery.

So besides everyone getting at each other’s throats on this, I just finished giving this album a full listen to on wax for the first time. 

First of the real hero of this album is Chris Dudley. Holy shit was his programming on point for the entire record!!! I have to say that the production quality is really fantastic. I’ve been listening to the leak all week and in no way did it do this record justice when compared to my stereo! I know I’m a little biased because they’re my favorite band and all, but after sitting down and giving it a solid listen this record is really good. 

Equipment

Pioneer Elite SC-63 Class D Amplifier

Definitive Technology 8060 tower speakers

Kenwood KD550 turntable

Here are my thoughts on the album. 

I hated it at first listen, which is why I said what I said. I woke up the next morning, however, and the first thing in my head strangely was the chorus to I Gave Up, so I gave it another chance. I've been listening to it a lot since. The album is not terrible, it's just not the record I was expecting as I prefer a much heavier Underoath. The choruses are really catchy, which is weird to say, and I find myself having them stuck in my head a lot.

Chris is the clear standout on the album. His synths and whatever you want to call it are really well done. 

I'm very disappointed that the guitarwork is mostly absent on this record and there are only a couple standout riffs. 

I was wary about Aaron being back in the band because I was liking the band without his vocals a little more, but I think he's used very well on this album. His vocals blend better than they did in the past and he's used more as an accent than a secondary vocalist. 

The first song on the album is my favorite. If the whole record was like that song, this would possibly be my favorite album by them. Great hook, awesome guitars, beautiful keys, and the scream at the end makes my blast my stereo every time. It's got everything. Awesome stuff. 

The closing track is super strong too, it's my second favorite. 

This isn't my favorite album by Underoath, but I think if they use this album as a stepping stone towards the next one, and hone their new hookier side and pair it with more of the atmosphere and guitarwork they used to be so good at, that could be a really really good album. 

3.5/5

Edited by backpackoat

6 hours ago, drawcody said:

So besides everyone getting at each other’s throats on this, I just finished giving this album a full listen to on wax for the first time. 

First of the real hero of this album is Chris Dudley. Holy shit was his programming on point for the entire record!!! I have to say that the production quality is really fantastic. I’ve been listening to the leak all week and in no way did it do this record justice when compared to my stereo! I know I’m a little biased because they’re my favorite band and all, but after sitting down and giving it a solid listen this record is really good. 

Equipment

Pioneer Elite SC-63 Class D Amplifier

Definitive Technology 8060 tower speakers

Kenwood KD550 turntable

i couldn’t agree with you more!

Chris has done an awesome job and it’s great to hear him louder and more than every before!

I also think Aaron’s drumming is solid and really stands out in every song! Time off has done him well.

overall it’s a solid album, i can’t stop listening to it, yes i think some parts in certain songs sound a bit weird but they’re still catchy as hell.

(again slightly bias as i am underøath’s second biggest fan after cody)

This album is top notch.  I just gave it a listen and I wasn't disappointed with any of the tracks. I'm considering picking up a copy of the milky white deluxe. 

7 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

the verdict is in! I'm no longer wearing Underoath shirts in public. 

giphy.gif