Renters Insurance with reasonable coverage for records/gear?

Tardcore

I was doing a little adulting last night looking through the particulars of my renters insurance.  Unfortunately, I found that coverage for “collections” (ie my records) is limited to $250 and coverage for electronics such as TVs, receivers, etc is limited to $2500.   So...it’s fairly useless when it comes to my music hobby.

Can anybody recommend coverage that would actually cover the stuff I own?

Edited by Tardcore

Some insurance companies will allow you to insure your record collection.  When I bought my house a couple years back I talked to some agents about this.  But it often requires 1) an official appraisal (which only works for what you currently have in your collection) and 2) buying a policy that is above and beyond the normal.

The gist that I got is that, unless you have a collection of Presley 78s, original Buddy Holly pressings, and 50 copies of the Butcher cover album, your money is better spent on getting an apartment that doesn't leak on your albums.

Edit: Sorry, that being said, State Farm did offer to insure the records.

Edited by nancy_raygun

What you will need is an insurance rider. This is a specific addition to your standard coverage. Contact your agent and discuss if they can create a rider for records & equipment. I had a rider on renters insurance for my wife’s engagement & wedding ring. It added like $10,000 of coverage for $4 a month specific to the rings. It did require an appraisal.