Albums you once wrote off

1 hour ago, 2notepockets said:

What did it for you? Still yet to find much Hip Hop that does anything for me, kinda liked Deltron 3030 and Lupe Fiasco (pre lazers) for a while but nothing has really pulled me into the genre, tried God Loves Ugly the other day and nothing...

To be honest, I was in high school and I went to a relatively small one, about less that 400 people. No one else was into the music I was into, which was the majority punk and metal. I was in high school when the Odd Future movement really took off and that was really my first hip-hop that I considered to be a fan of. My dad was huge into west coast gangsta rap so that was next for me, and then I fell in love with all eras and sounds of the genre. Based on your interests I'd try alternative hip-hop artists,  or conscious rappers. Maybe look up Noname or Rejjie Snow.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, 2notepockets said:

What did it for you? Still yet to find much Hip Hop that does anything for me, kinda liked Deltron 3030 and Lupe Fiasco (pre lazers) for a while but nothing has really pulled me into the genre, tried God Loves Ugly the other day and nothing...

I was the same as many 100% against it through secondary school, vehemently sticking to my "grunger" guns and associating a lot of it with the imbecilic assholes who made my life hell in my teens for being different. I probably  first started paying attention when my younger brother started getting into it and I heard Earl Sweatshirt's song Grief for the first time. The downright darkness of his stuff  got me to do more exploring and whilst I'm by no means an aficionado I do have a select bundle of go to artists like Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt, Run The Jewels, Killer Mike and even some more lighter stuff like Childish Gambino. There are still subgenres and artists I can't stand but that's the same with all music I guess.

As far as actual bands I didn't like on the first try I'd say Smashing Pumpkins were a biggy for me. I couldn't get over Corgan's nasal whine and always felt that the music was annoyingly way up my street but ruined by his vocals.

Also My Bloody Valentine, the first time I heard Loveless I was like "OK it's loud, what else?" but then again 16 year old me wasn't ever going to pick that up first time around. 

On 3/13/2018 at 11:13 PM, swb said:

Have you already tried the whole Madvillain (and any of the remix albums), Quasimoto, Madlib, MF Doom, etc. oeuvre yet? Or the older Tribe Called Quest or DJ Shadow stuff? I'm not a huge rap/hip hop fan but I can get with all of those artists anytime.

DJ Shadow is legit, the album Endtroducing... was my first introduction to him and I love that album.

As a side note, there's a documentary called Dark Days in which DJ Shadow's music makes up the majority of the soundtrack. It's about the homeless community that was living in the NYC Amtrak tunnels back in the 90's - well worth the watch, extremely well made.

Edited by bluethumb
typo

I wrote off Glass Animals solely because they had a song called Pork Soda and I'm a huge Primus fan, so naming a song that and having no allusions to Primus seemed like sacrilege. Turns out the album is pretty good, but it still seems stupid to have named the song that.

4 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

My Bloody Valentine, the first time I heard Loveless I was like "OK it's loud, what else?" but then again 16 year old me wasn't ever going to pick that up first time around. 

This was the weirdest album for me. I could only ever get through maybe 2-3 songs at  time, it was so jarring. but for some reason, every week, i'd come back to it and wonder why I kept being drawn to it. One afternoon while writing a college term paper I put it on at very minimal volume in my headphones and the melodies came through so beautifully, it was then I finally 'got' it.