PO: Beach Slang (Quiet Slang) Everything Matters But No One Is Listening

Early Bird Metallic Gold/Baby Blue at Polyvinyl /1000 and Clear

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/product/everything_matters_but_n

BSM: /200 Blue with Pink Splatter (BSM exclusive)

/400 Black

/400 Red (Indie Exclusive)

http://www.bsmrocks.com/products/613140-beach-slang-everything-matters-but-no-one-is-listening-lp-cd-preorder

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Surprised they're not on LP6 yet guess no one bought the second one they threw up so quick.

I think he's finally learned to slow down a bit. My opinion of them took a dive with that last album but seeing them a few months ago reinvigorated me. They really impressed. Now they have ANOTHER new line-up so he must be a pain to work with. I like these songs enough to get them in this format though.

Just now, pepperonigin said:

I think he's finally learned to slow down a bit. My opinion of them took a dive with that last album but seeing them a few months ago reinvigorated me. They really impressed. Now they have ANOTHER new line-up so he must be a pain to work with. I like these songs enough to get them in this format though.

I still dig the first two EPs but it's a shame his ego seems so ridiculous. I figured they had a new lineup again with the Quiet Slang focus on the last 7"

50 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

Yall crazy this band is the best.  I've seen them like 6 times and will continue to support them every chance I get. The last album is severely underrated in my opinion 

It's not bad necessarily it just sounded like b-sides from the previous one. I think they're great, just maybe could slow down the output, quality over quantity and all that.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I still dig the first two EPs but it's a shame his ego seems so ridiculous. I figured they had a new lineup again with the Quiet Slang focus on the last 7"

I agree with you about the first 2 EPs. Those songs have a very "urgent" and angsty sound and that energy just wasn't present on the following LPs. The full lengths just have a weird paint-by-numbers feel to them.

Great live band though. Maybe I'm missing something and should revisit the last couple albums.

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Surprised they're not on LP6 yet guess no one bought the second one they threw up so quick.

I would have liked an album with Cully Symington  drumming on it, he made the band 100x better. Hopefully James doesn't get even more ridiculous/out of control now that the band is all hired guns, so everything is completely his say.

Was stoked for this until I realized its all re-recorded versions of old songs.  There may be a time for new versions of old songs, but its not LP3.   Damn, at least give me half an album of new songs or something.

...and not to nitpick (but I am), but wasn't Too Late To Die Young already quiet enough?

1 hour ago, Dub said:

Was stoked for this until I realized its all re-recorded versions of old songs.  There may be a time for new versions of old songs, but its not LP3.   Damn, at least give me half an album of new songs or something.

...and not to nitpick (but I am), but wasn't Too Late To Die Young already quiet enough?

See, I'm the exact opposite. I would be really bummed if he wrote 10 new "Quiet Slang" songs instead of a new full-band LP. I'd rather this be reworked tracks, and then, he put the effort of writing new "Beach Slang" songs. 100% agree with you that "Too Late to Die Young" shouldn't be on this though. He should've redone another full band track.

To go along with the above discussion of their discography, in my opinion, the EPs are the best, first LP is solid and it grew on me, the second LP is eh. Quiet Slang stuff to me is really unnecessary, but I like their tunes enough to buy it. Their set at Fest was amazing, great live band.

while the acoustic versions aren't especially horrible to listen to, one still thinks when they (james alex/polyvinyl) will stop rehashing those songs to the death, since it really hasn't changed that much over the last 4 or so releases except for essentially not being the same band personally for quite a while now.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:39 AM, pepperonigin said:

I think the dude's got a pretty nasty ego problem, but wasn't one of the guys kicked out of the band for sexual assault allegations and another one just straight up quit in the middle of a show?

Whatever the case, I'm kinda over this band.  The first two EPs were great, the first LP was ok, and I think I only listened to the last album maybe two times.  Acoustic Beach Slang is not a thing that I'll ever be interested in.

Edited by tdogg241
Hit Post too quickly...

8 hours ago, tdogg241 said:

I think the dude's got a pretty nasty ego problem, but wasn't one of the guys kicked out of the band for sexual assault allegations and another one just straight up quit in the middle of a show?

Whatever the case, I'm kinda over this band.  The first two EPs were great, the first LP was ok, and I think I only listened to the last album maybe two times.  Acoustic Beach Slang is not a thing that I'll ever be interested in.

I don’t know about the sexual allegations but I do remember that they “broke up” on stage and that guy is gone. But they just recently toured and now they have another totally new lineup. Either way he seems very wishy washy. 

I still very much enjoy a majority of their output but I’ll probably be passing on this release as well. 

• 2 months later...

Got the BSM variant in yesterday and its gorgeous. Definitely a great 4th splatter for the little beach slang series they have going on.

33374926_10213828796411860_8440713190320

I honestly think this album is neat, its worth noting that James Alex only sings on this.  The piano and strings were done by other people, assumedly studio musicians, and as a result some of the melodies that get lost in the mix of the full band stuff really shine through here. Hell id even go as far to say that these versions made me like the second album better.

I gotta say, the EPs and first LP are all incredible, and I urge those who aren't that into the first LP to relisten.  The second album was definitely thrown together and this recent Noisey feature touches on that a bit, and really on a lot of the criticisms he/the band face.

ALSO this version of Too Late to Die Young is softer but way better than the original acoustic one.