PO: Liz Phair - Girly Sound To Guyville (7LP Box Set) (May 4 2018)

Now here's something I've been waiting to happen for a LONG TIME!

Pre-order -- Matador US Store

Pre-order -- Matador UK Store

"It's the 25th anniversary of Liz Phair’s landmark 'Exile in Guyville' album and to mark it, Matador Records are releasing 'Girly-Sound To Guyville', an extensive limited-edition box set to celebrate the anniversary. 

The box set contains the first ever official release of the legendary 'Girly-Sound' songs, which have been restored from their original three cassettes and mastered onto vinyl. It also contains a remastered double LP edition of 'Exile In Guyville' and a 44 page book containing an extensive oral history, essays by Liz Phair and journalist Ann Powers, never-before-seen photographs, artwork and ephemera.

Originally released in 1993, 'Exile In Guyville' is a seminal album and a feminist landmark. Its legendary status has only grown over the years. It’s continually included in countless lists…Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest albums of all time + 100 best albums of the 90s, Pitchfork’s Top 100 albums of the 90s and so on. Numerous essays and think pieces have been written about it and the number of accolades piled on is endless.

Since the release of 'Exile in Guyville', Liz Phair has continued to defy expectation and break barriers. She has released five albums, and is currently working on a new one with Drift favourite Ryan Adams. She has also composed music for television shows and received awards for her trouble. She's also fulfilled a longtime dream to be an author, and she received a two-book deal with Random House. Her first book will be called 'Horror Stories'. which focuses on “heartbreak, motherhood, and everything in between.”

Edited by moodist

I think I will order the whole damn things. Being nitpicky...but the lettering/font on the cover is off-putting. No, not because it's covering her nipples...get your minds out of the gutter. It just looks a bit cheesy.

I do wonder how limited the box set and replicate tapes are.

Carted the whole set (LP box, 3-CD set, 3 tapes) just to see the shipping options.

United States Postal Service

United Parcel Service

I don't think I'd gamble it with Media Mail. Fuck no. And UPS ground is a 50/50 shot.

11 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I think I will order the whole damn things. Being nitpicky...but the lettering/font on the cover is off-putting. No, not because it's covering her nipples...get your minds out of the gutter. It just looks a bit cheesy.

I do wonder how limited the box set and replicate tapes are.

375 sets of tapes. Nothin on the box, but I'd imagine its a decent run. 

And I agree. The cover for this box is really weird. 

9 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

375 sets of tapes. Nothin on the box, but I'd imagine its a decent run. 

And I agree. The cover for this box is really weird. 

It's terrible. Like bad 90's photoshop. They should've just kept the original font and used that outtake instead.

Grabbed the tapes. I reckon they will go quick.

Liz & Emily Haines are my guilty pleasures. I have to get something, probably the tapes. AMEX is going to be very happy next month with all the vinyl and cassette charges racking up the past month, and I'm saying 'no' to lots of things I'd normally be caving on :/

Edited by drds89

10 hours ago, jhulud said:

I have the OG release as well. And the ATO reissue. And I'm going full-on with the box set and tapes. Fuck it. 

If you don’t mind, please do tell if the “new” mastering sounds better than the original.

I have heard the OG sounds better than the ATO press.

Edited by Plarocks

• 5 weeks later...