PO: Coil- Worship the Glitch and A Thousand Lights in a Dark Room

Coil Presents Black Light District: A Thousand Lights in a Dark Room PO

ElpH vs. Coil- Worship the Glitch PO

During the transitional period in which Coil’s primary leadership (Peter “Sleazy” Christopherson and John Balance) reorganized their creative direction by taking on new membership in the group through their inclusion of Drew McDowall, Coil took a drastic turn towards the metaphysical unknown. Employing the subtle handiwork of Coil’s “real life” members, as well as the cleverly guised aliases and spiritual collaborators, the band chose to filter their identity through a the nome de guerre, Black Light District, setting the precedent of Coil’s future exploration of otherworldly influence.

Recorded during the Winter of 1995/96, Black Light District reflects more on their formal avant-garde pursuits and academic interests rather than their industrial pedigree resume. Starting off with an obvious nod to John Cage with their introductory “Unprepared Piano”, the tone is prepared in exactly the same way… unpredictable. Conceptually abstract, Black Light District shows Coil’s old guard disregarding the pop rhythms found on previous albums, such as Love's Secret Domain, and fully embracing their experimental electronic trajectory. Subtle patterns of looping melancholy and malaise are placed delicately underneath ghostly electronic timbre. Approaching their creative method as something from the beyond, another realm in which sounds blur and performers seemingly appear from the ether.

"Unexplainable" may well be the best explanation for the members of the UK based electronic outfit COIL. Making a radical shift from intentional accessibility, by means of traditional pop songwriting, to abstract happenstance, Coil had entered into a new phase in their career…uncharted waters utilizing what was then the newest computer technology, digital and analog synthesis and the newly formed ideas that something outside of themselves was steering the ship.

During the studio sessions that developed into what would become “Worship the Glitch”, Coil became aware of random compositions emitting from their gear, and were at odds with constant “accidents” that were perpetually plaguing the recordings. The band called these unintentional emissions "ELpH": a conceptual being that is one part physical equipment, one part celestial being… constantly playing the role of trickster, throwing a wrench into Coil’s methodology. Eventually, these accidents and mistakes were embraced by the band, and the process of misusing audio software to create intentional "errors" was adopted as a musical technique. The acceptance of the "mistake", and the use of discovered mistakes as intentional elements slowly became the drive and concept behind the album, thus birthing the title “Worship the Glitch.”

Originally released in 1995 on Coil’s in-house imprint Eskaton, Worship the Glitch was Coil’s first proper album-length attempt at conceptual ambient composition, with a radical focus on chance. Seamless vignettes of shattered electronics (though ebbing softly and in delicate balance with each other) provide an underlying uncertainty and discomfort to the listener.

Both releases have been remastered by engineer Josh Bonati and supervised by Coil's Drew McDowall, the double LP vinyl releases are packaged in a beautiful matte 24pt stock gatefold jackets. First pressings of the vinyl is pressed on 200 clear, 500 red, 600 blue, and standard black vinyl, with an edition of 500 yellow exclusively for Europe and UK shops and distros.

I'm glad I checked my phone and saw the email they sent out this afternoon in time to get the clear pressing since they're already sold out.

I've been checking their site regularly since the unofficial announcement on Facebook a few weeks back. Dais handled Time Machines well so I'm definitely looking forward to these.

Grabbed both clears yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of all of the re-releases and drama since their passings but at least i know Dais will do a good job with them. It is odd to me that it is really just the side projects getting oficially released and none of the major albums. Especially considering that albums like MTPITD v1 sells for $500. But maybe that is just because McDowell is alive and contributed on them?