PO SOON : Sleep - The Sciences

6 hours ago, vasdenyas said:

Wow, TMR managed to push what might be this year's most anticipated metal record like some silly RSD repress. What were they thinking? <_<

Also, if anyone stumbles upon a EU source that would be great. Don't care if it's green or black, just want to listen to it on my tt and not Spotify.

Yes, we need an EU source. Right now..

9 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

Does actually the black/green come on 180g. vinyl? Green is standard gram?

I missed this detail. 

Yep. I believe I read that the split is 180g. My green is def not. Sounds pretty great though.

Edit: Prob how they justify the $20 markup between the two.

Edited by erikness

12 hours ago, erikness said:

Yep. I believe I read that the split is 180g. My green is def not. Sounds pretty great though.

Lol, so you pay $30 and it's not even 180g? Well, the shitshow never ends. Let's hope TMR won't release the new Tool Album :wacko:

12 hours ago, erikness said:

No.  They knew they could markup the split because it was a smaller pressing that was only available at certain brick and mortar stores the day before RSD.  Those lines at record stores on Friday would have existed even if they charged $75

18 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

No.  They knew they could markup the split because it was a smaller pressing that was only available at certain brick and mortar stores the day before RSD.  Those lines at record stores on Friday would have existed even if they charged $75

I know manufactured rarity is a thing, obviously. According to the after market, it looks like they could have had a $150 MSRP and people would have bought it.

I was just saying it's how they might justify the price difference to consumers. Because ya know, heavier vinyl tends to cost more sometimes..

Edited by erikness

4 minutes ago, erikness said:

I know manufactured rarity is a thing, obviously. According to the after market, it looks like they could have had a $150 MSRP and people would have bought it.

I was just saying it's how they might justify the price difference to consumers. Because ya know, heavier vinyl tends to cost more sometimes..

It’s the answer they would give to justify it. I agree

2 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Anyone else think more of the split might show up somewhere at some time? Seems like not all 1000 got out there.

Some are being sold by the rolling store stops this week.  The list of 40 stores they put out for 4/20 probably covered half of them. Then another 100 to the UK. Not sure if EU got any? Add in the large amounts the 2 TMR stores sold and I'd have to assume they are pretty much gone.

Just now, Bladewillisisdead said:

I think 180g is more resistant to warping? But also, some people like a heavier feeling record. It's not the "TRUE AUDIOPHILE QUALITY" that some people hype it as, but it's not without its merits.

actually the opposite, heavier records take longer to cool giving it more opportunity to warp. The advantage is in theory a more durable record, all that stuff about enhanced bass response I don't think has any tangible proof. Records were pressed on 120-160 grams for years and sounded great, I think it's a way to squeeze a few more bucks out of people, but I could be wrong and it could have its merits 

21 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

You know 180 gram is just a marketing hype, correct?

People will complain about anything these days

Though it does not save a poor mastering job, 180g does in fact have advantages over 140g vinyl (durability, less warping, etc.). Even if it was just a marketing hype, it would be all the more reason to complain as it seems to be one of the main "advantages" of the /1000 Edition which is still $50. So if TMR used a marketing hype as an excuse to command another $20 premium on an already inflated price, all the more shame on them. :lol:

1 minute ago, NapalmBrain said:

actually the opposite, heavier records take longer to cool giving it more opportunity to warp. The advantage is in theory a more durable record, all that stuff about enhanced bass response I don't think has any tangible proof. Records were pressed on 120-160 grams for years and sounded great, I think it's a way to squeeze a few more bucks out of people, but I could be wrong and it could have its merits 

Personally, I just like how 180g feels but I'd never pay more than like $2 extra for it. Even that's a stretch.

I'm still mad about this release I ordered it immediately for my store and still haven't received my copies, I've talked to some other owners and managers and it seems everyone who used the same distro I did didn't get theirs either and everyone who had them on Friday used the other distro. On top of the stress of  RSD prep missing sales on this, and not being told what we were ordering was really agitating. At least i'm not my friend who had to cancel 70 online orders. Not naming distro names for job reasons.  They might show up in the next couple days or not at all, I'm not sure but it's possible more copies will appear due to one distro not getting these out on time

2 hours ago, vasdenyas said:

Lol, so you pay $30 and it's not even 180g? Well, the shitshow never ends. Let's hope TMR won't release the new Tool Album :wacko:

lol at thinking $30 for a double LP in a heavy gatefold is exorbitant.

that's not even touching on the fact that you completely buy into 180g gimmick bullshit.

You would like Tool.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell