PO SOON : Sleep - The Sciences

One of the questions I keep asking, I this on going saga, is why did this have to be a super secret release? Was it to test and reward the loyalty of record stores and make sure that future stupid secret releases will be ordered without question simply because it's a TMR release? Either way, the whole thing is just lame and it's a shame that some long time fans haven't been able to track down a copy of a record pressed at 10,000.

25 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

One of the questions I keep asking, I this on going saga, is why did this have to be a super secret release? Was it to test and reward the loyalty of record stores and make sure that future stupid secret releases will be ordered without question simply because it's a TMR release? Either way, the whole thing is just lame and it's a shame that some long time fans haven't been able to track down a copy of a record pressed at 10,000.

If they are fans of the music....they can buy the regular black version no problem.  If they want the variant ....they should get off their asses, my local stores have had copies just sitting of the green variant.  Sorry TMR and the band aren't spoon feeding everyone the variants.

27 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I actually think it's a pretty fun idea. I'm not a huge fan of the music but I'm into the hype so I went to reckless in Chicago and scooped this up. They definitely had a bunch when I went down there. Personally I think variant collecting is silly (it almost always sounds better on black wax anyways...).

I do understand that not everyone lives in a densely populated area with a plethora of record stores so I can understand why people would get upset. It's not easy for a lot of people to get their hands on this.

Seriously tho. Always bet on black.

38 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

11 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

If they are fans of the music....they can buy the regular black version no problem.  If they want the variant ....they should get off their asses, my local stores have had copies just sitting of the green variant.  Sorry TMR and the band aren't spoon feeding everyone the variants.

I think regardless of the variant, the secrecy was shitty. People like to know that a record from their favorite band is coming out at least with a few months notice these days. They knew people were waiting for this release since 2014. I'm the kind of freak who likes to buy my favorite bands' records on release day and dedicate time to having a ritualistic first listen ASAP, preferably that same day. I've always been this way. This method of release prevented me from having that in just the way that I like. Its not the end of the world but its really annoying. The method they used also made it really difficult to the get this record in the hands of fans. That's THE WORST business model for physical music in the post-Napster/Record Industry Collapse world.

Edited by mcpherson123

6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

My signature exists because they came to my door with pitchforks and torches for preferring black vinyl and having the audacity to talk about it.

I never noticed that. I think that's excellent. Speaking of pitchforks, I feel like if we keep talking about this (off topic) the pitchforks will come after us. So I'll end this conversation like this...

Even though I prefer black vinyl, I have an ass ton of variants. If someone tried to take away Jurassic Park Dino DNA splatter I would throw them off my roof. So I understand why fans would freak out.

#leaveyourpitchforksathome

#ILOVEALLVINYLZ

#JOKINGiKNOWitsVINYLS

#ImeanVINYL

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

Maybe you can pick up some green copies and sell it for cost to people on the board? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Don’t really get all the negativity towards the surprise aspect of this release.  Personally I would rather be surprised with  the actual release of a record the.mn be surprised there is a 2 month early pre order.  You could’ve gotten it online at third man so it was available online.  There are 10,000 of these if you are patient you’ll find one or this is Sleep just wait for one of the other dozen variants to come out.

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

I grabbed the green pretty quickly when it was still up on Rough Trade but I wasn't fast enough to get into their first shipment since they divided first wave and second by people who placed their orders before or after 4:20PM EST (which unfortunately for me was only 1:20). I don't know whether I've secured one or not because TMR has been shorting stores and distros on their orders. I might get mine cancelled, who knows?

Honestly, I kicked myself for not hitting up my local store earlier than I did to pick up a copy, but then I remembered how nuts I went for the Clarity single when it came out. Especially considering how they said that was going to be exclusive. Now I look around and it's all over the place. I am feeling the same way about this record. This initial hype is hype. Yes it sucks to not get a first pressing, but I'm fine with getting a copy when it becomes more readily available.

One of the biggest missteps I can tell besides making this such a secret release was that it was literally released the day before RSD, so record store owners/workers were already preparing for that fun and adding this sudden release on top of that all probably didn't help. 

Oh Well

38 minutes ago, apirk said:

Don’t really get all the negativity towards the surprise aspect of this release.  

You can't pre-order a surprise!

You can't keep checking your mail one or two days before release date to see if you got the album delivered early...when its a surprise!

You can't scour the internet and make sure you've PO'd every single variant of a total surprise!

In other words, it's a cool marketing tactic that focused more on the music than the collector-competition / consumerism and that just stinks.

2 hours ago, gracetoo said:

You can't pre-order a surprise!

You can't keep checking your mail one or two days before release date to see if you got the album delivered early...when its a surprise!

You can't scour the internet and make sure you've PO'd every single variant of a total surprise!

In other words, it's a cool marketing tactic that focused more on the music than the collector-competition / consumerism and that just stinks.

I actually feel like its the opposite of your final assessment. This actually feels like it focused more on a gimmick of the release and the gimmick of a special variant cover and vinyl split color for a 1K piece limitation and then the gimmick of another less limited variant of green "bcuz WeED!" I don't have a problem with multiple variants in vinyl color but I think the practice of tiered limitation is stupid. Why not just keep pressing all three colors? Why need a special handpicked record store variant and then another plentifulish but still limited variant that we have no idea where they are or how many we'll get and stores don't get the amount they ordered blindly.

When you announce a new LP and put up a pre-order people have something to look forward to. They can gauge whether they need to pre-order or whether the numbers are plentiful enough to end up in local shops (regardless of variant) and then they can choose with notice how they plan to pick up the release. They can know the specification of the format (single or 2x or 2x LP or +7" and the like). They can ask their local store to special order if they weren't going to already. We can't rely on the channels of distribution for vinyl records to be as liquid and palatable to surprises as they were in the 60's, 70's and 80's. The economy just doesn't support that anymore and the record industry doesn't have the capital to gamble with anymore. When you release a bands' music, the more info your potential customer has ahead of  time and the more notice they have of it coming, the better it is for everyone.

Its cute. They snuck it out under our noses. Next time just tell us you've got a new record and let fans plan on acquiring it.

5 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Not all of us possess the drive and determination like you. Don't waste all of your informative posts yet. We still have the entire Con season ahead of us.

My wife bought me a copy thinking I still needed it, so I have an extra. Waiting on a friend back home who was also looking, but if he flakes it’ll be available here. $35 shipped in the US. 

Edit: also willing to swap for a copy of Dopesmoker on an interesting color. 

Edited by KnifeStreet