Underated Albums

What albums do you adore that don't seem to get the love they deserve from the wider music loving community? For me as someone who listens to mainly Metal and Hardcore:

Buried Inside - Chronoclast

Released in 2005. Rips as hard as Converge at their most intense, with the progressive nature and melodic sense of Isis at their peak. It's essentially one 10 part 40 minute track which is pretty much seamless. The intro is crushing and it just gets better from there. They released 1 album after this and broke up never to be heard of again it seems. I can't understand why this isn't widely considered a metalcore/post metal benchmark... To underline how underated this album is I've actually had people tell me how shit they think Buried Inside are when wearing one of their shirts... In my top 20 of all time.

Astronoid - Air

I can't understand how this band isn't as big as Linkin Park this thing should appeal to anyone who likes anything from Slayer to Slowdive to MGMT to Deafheaven and Killswitch Engage... I loved this so much when it came out I emailed the band about promoting it with the  hope of touring them... I was hoping I could fund my retirement on the limited first pressing of LP's alas they are readily available on discogs lol

Edited by 2notepockets

All of Martin Grech's albums are underrated gems especially Unholy. Aereogramme's back catalogue doesn't have a single album I don't love but a lot of people only ever talk about that split they did with ISIS, the two unwinding hours albums that came out from Iain Cook and Craig B of Aereogramme were also stellar but Iain's now only ever talked about in relation to Chvrches which is sad too. The Birthday Suit which was the band lead by Rod Jones from Idlewild never really got the traction they deserved either. Sucioperro were great too and heavily underrated especially Pain Agency.

17 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

That Isis/Aereogramne EP is so fucking good though. I really like their other records, but that one really does stand out.

Yeah I love the material there but Sleep And Release and all their albums should be showered in as much adulation as far as I'm concerned. I love ISIS too, and as a pairing they really did crank out some amazing songs. If you dig the other Aereogramme records I hope you've heard The Unwinding Hours and A Mote Of Dust records that Craig B n Iain Cook did post-Aereogramme, they are truly fantastic. Met Craig at one of his shows and he's such a lovely guy as well as a contender for my all time favourite lyricist.

Someone needs to press Seclusion at some point but it's so unlikely.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:12 AM, thebaucom said:

Anyone ever listen to Disengage  - Obsessions Become Phobias?

It was released on Man's Ruin in the early 2000s I think (CD only).  Catchy songs and still something I really enjoy listening to when I think to put it on.

this is pretty cool, getting a lot of Torche/Kylesa vibes from it

Kiss It Goodbye - She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not

One of the angriest records ever, when the singer is going off in "What If..." screaming "what if I had a badge, What if I had a gun" ...chills.

Will Haven - El Diablo

Mixes heavy music like Deadguy with a bit more atmosphere in a really cool way... This band is still going today too.

Bird Of Ill Omen - Self, Dare You Still Breathe

Just crushing and misanthropic heaviness, and while the production is a bit less than stellar, it adds to the desperate feeling and ugliness of the songs.

https://youtu.be/WDsmLuA4YFk

11 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Kiss It Goodbye - She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not

One of the angriest records ever, when the singer is going off in "What If..." screaming "what if I had a badge, What if I had a gun" ...chills.

Will Haven - El Diablo

Mixes heavy music like Deadguy with a bit more atmosphere in a really cool way... This band is still going today too.

Just crushing and misanthropic heaviness, and while the production is a bit less than stellar, it adds to the desperate feeling and ugliness of the songs.

Only familiar with Kiss It Goodbye and Will Haven, but fuck yeah.

Definitely going to check out Bird of Ill Omen.

21 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Hyde - The Sky's False Persona

is also excellent and along these lines if you haven't heard it 

nice thread, itll give me stuff to listen to.  Will haven is just what i didnt know i needed right now

my personal favorite underrated would be 

verse en coma - rialto ( perhaps this one is more "under the radar" but it should get a lot more praise)

travis morisson - travistan (yes, 0/10 according to pitchfork. not perfect but still love this record)

Edited by Boojie Horsie

• 3 weeks later...