Mastersystem - Dance Music (Members of Frightened Rabbit & Editors)

I'm having a hard time dealing with the loss of Scott Hutchison. One of the only things helping right now is listening to his music. 

“I thought it would be interesting to play around with the themes of restlessness and dissatisfaction on this album, both as a counterpoint to the exuberance of the music and as an obvious reference to the angst and tension I heard in the grunge and fuzz of my teenage years. This is not the angst of a teenager, however. This is the anxiety of a man in his mid-30s, and for a lot of this record I found myself wrestling with the ways in which I am not quite doing life right, in spite of appearing to lead a relatively joyful, playful and artistic existence.”

To be fair, that doesn’t sound too far off from what he’s long done in Frightened Rabbit, and the debut Mastersystem single, “Notes on a Life Not Quite Lived”, even feels like a Rabbit track at first. Once the overdrive is turned up on the guitars and the drums crack out like gun shots, however, the song reveals itself to be far grittier than anything Hutchison has been involved with before. Take a listen below.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/02/frightened-rabbit-editors-minor-victories-members-form-new-band-mastersystem-share-debut-single-stream/

Record is out now and really fucking good. 

Edited by veggiecorecords

2 minutes ago, PookdaddyG said:

Same. I didnt see a listing in Discogs, so here is hoping it shows up. I still need to get a copy of Sing the Greys, too. 

Not sure if you knew, but you can actually grab a copy of the recent release of Sing the Greys from the band's merch store: http://store.warnermusic.com/canvasback/artists/frightened-rabbit/sing-the-greys-limited-edition-orange-vinyl.html

Not sure how much longer it will stay in stock.

2 hours ago, GhostTrail said:

Not sure if you knew, but you can actually grab a copy of the recent release of Sing the Greys from the band's merch store: http://store.warnermusic.com/canvasback/artists/frightened-rabbit/sing-the-greys-limited-edition-orange-vinyl.html

Not sure how much longer it will stay in stock.

Oh sweet! I checked my usual places and didn’t see it in stock. Thanks for the heads up. I got a little worried when I didn’t see any on discogs. 

On 5/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, PookdaddyG said:

Yeah, i saw that it was sold out earlier yesterday, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was prior to that.

I had not heard of this record, unfortunately, until I started reading the initial articles relating concern for Scott's whereabouts and wellbeing. I checked Rough Trade then and it was already sold out. The release just fell under my radar, but I was able to pick up the standard black vinyl without a problem.

And thank you, GhostTrail, for the Warner's link. I ordered a copy of Sing the Greys. A couple UK listings for the record on Discogs are going for about the same as the band's webstore, but the one US seller is asking $230.

Edited by tvrec
added thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...