R.E.M. - Document on gold vinyl

14 minutes ago, ExtraFox said:

https://www.facebook.com/REMhq/posts/10155808230752984

Limited to 2500 copies and available from Sound Of Vinyl (USA only) on May 31st and REMHQ.com on June 1st . Not sure if I want it as I have a MOFI copy.

I can't believe this album isn't currently in print.  I kind of want that gold just because I don't have it, but I'm sure it's going to be at least $30.  

Ever notice how simple and deceptively mean-spirited the lyrics are? Guessing most people never actually listened to the whole song.

This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time
Fire 
Fire

Fire 
Fire

Another prop has occupied my time
Fire 
Fire 
Fire
Fire

9 minutes ago, slipcraig said:

Ever notice how simple and deceptively mean-spirited the lyrics are? Guessing most people never actually listened to the whole song.

Fire 
Fire

Fire 
Fire

Another prop has occupied my time
Fire 
Fire 
Fire
Fire

The band always snickers when they hear that someone used it their wedding, which apparently occurs more than you’d think. 

1 hour ago, ExtraFox said:

https://www.facebook.com/REMhq/posts/10155808230752984

Limited to 2500 copies and available from Sound Of Vinyl (USA only) on May 31st and REMHQ.com on June 1st . Not sure if I want it as I have a MOFI copy.

My OG sounds sooooo good, I actually skipped the MoFi copy. :D

Would love to do a “shoot out” with that, and the Mo-Fi one day on a REALLY high end system.  :)

Edited by Plarocks

I only have the Out of Time reissue to judge but it fits in with the narrative that most of the non-MOFI R.E.M. reissues are pretty average or worse than the original pressings. Hopefully, this is an exception. I'm sticking with my $10 original pressing since it sounds great and I'm already spending way too much money on everything else in my life.

24 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

My OG sounds sooooo good, I actually skipped the MoFi copy. :D

Same.  This is my favorite album from my favorite band, but my OG copy sounds really great.  Plus, the one I have weirdly has the business card of Ron Scarselli from IRS Records, who designed the packaging for the album (and was actually nominated for a Grammy for it) taped to the back with several other business cards in the sleeve.  Which means apparent he was using the whole vinyl record as a baller business card, which is just epic.

53 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Same.  This is my favorite album from my favorite band, but my OG copy sounds really great.  Plus, the one I have weirdly has the business card of Ron Scarselli from IRS Records, who designed the packaging for the album (and was actually nominated for a Grammy for it) taped to the back with several other business cards in the sleeve.  Which means apparent he was using the whole vinyl record as a baller business card, which is just epic.

I wonder if we both have a “first pressing?”

1 hour ago, swb said:

I only have the Out of Time reissue to judge but it fits in with the narrative that most of the non-MOFI R.E.M. reissues are pretty average or worse than the original pressings. Hopefully, this is an exception. I'm sticking with my $10 original pressing since it sounds great and I'm already spending way too much money on everything else in my life.

I feel you here. I don’t have enough money for the records I don’t have. :lol:

It has to be a “stellar” re-issue to have me buy the same record again.

I did this with the Mo-Fi pressings of the first two R.E.M. albums. To be honest, the “Anadisc 200” pressings sounded wonderful, but my OG copy of “Murmur” was also really REALLY good.

The Mo-Fi “Reckoning” blew away my US stock copy though. ;)

9 hours ago, timsimmons said:

That was a huge disappointment. That record more than any REM needed that 3-4LP treatment. THe bonus stuff from the CD was really great. 

I agree. I don't know why it didn't happen since Out of Time already got the deluxe vinyl treatment. Maybe it didn't sell well or something.  

21 hours ago, YouTwo said:

It feels good!

In all seriousness I do not own any R.E.M. on wax, and I don't plan to unless it's a box set situation. 

I see used copies of the IRS records come through my local shop frequently, but these aren't my favorite albums from this band. Elite music, no doubt, but R.E.M. kind of starts with Green for me. The Warner era LPs seem to be scarce and somewhat pricey, so I just don't feel the drive to seek them out, and I'm not shelling out for MOFI reissues either (I've read implications here that these are the only good reissues). 

If they ever do a comprehensive and encyclopedic discography box set or box set series though, I'd immediately be all over that. 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:32 AM, mintplusplus said:

Off topic but I am crossing my fingers for a second record of demos and live tracks for the inevitable New Adventures in Hi Fi reissue.

I'm really hoping for any reissue of this tbh. And 'Monster'...for the love of all things, give me a RP of 'Monster'! :D