MLB Discussion

Yahoo fantasy baseball is opened up. I imagine the board will get a league going? I always have a hard time finding 11 from real life

if we get 10 people interested, i'll set up a yahoo keeper league for posters in this thread/forum if anyone would want too.  love baseball so much

I can draft a team. It will always just be the 3rd team on my mind and won't get full attention.

If you just need a guy, let me know and I'll do my best with it. If others are more interested, I'll sit.

okay, cool

if it helps, the league consist of only players who are admitted, accused, or suspected PED users.  you only get points for games suspended.

i'm down too if you're looking to fill slots, but it will also be my third and least important league. if it's head to head instead of rotisserie i'll have a better chance of keeping up with it.

Well with JV he had some good years previously, but the last 2 is when he really put it together and took that step up to elite. So it comes down to how far back you go in grading a player. Over the last 6 years have JV and Felix been pretty equal? Yeah. If you give more weight to recent performance (the last 2 years) JV is clearly better.

I know I said the AL/NL thing is overblown but you do have to give JV some credit for facing a DH instead of a pitcher (not that it adds a full point onto ERA, but it could easily add .25). I think he has been a little bit better than Kershaw over the last 2 years. Make the period of time their full careers so far, though, and Kershaw is the best of the bunch.

yeah, i agree. i think my view on verlander will hinge on his performance this year. three years straight of dominance is crucial, but if he regresses to a mid-3 ERA -- which is still great, but not mid-2 great -- i think it will be more telling of the type of pitcher he really is, and whether the last two years of being truly elite weren't sustainable. oh, and a quick data crunch: AL ERA has been .17 points higher on average than NL ERA the past five years. 

I would love to get in on some fantasy baseball from here. Baseball easily tops my list of sports.

I was surprised a little bit by King Felix's contract. If Kershaw keeps getting better I see him getting more money than Felix. I don't see Verlander surpassing Felix money be ause of his age.

He'll get more per year than Felix if it doesn't go 7 years. He's only 3 years older than Felix. And better. And teams just dish out money to top talent without concern for 7+ years from now (Pujols, A-Rod). And Illitch is just spending money like his 90 year old ass thinks "I can't take it with me".

JV will either break $200 million on a long term deal or get $30 million per year on a shorter term deal (like 5 years or so).

These deals just keep making that deal Weaver signed look better and better. Good thing they saved some money on him with these other contracts they are giving out lately are nuts. If Trout keeps it up, there's no way he signs a deal for less than $300M

I completely with all of this. Trout/Harper could both end up getting 300+ which just sounds insane

I don't ever seeing Harper being in the same class of player Trout is. People will always talk Bout him because all the hype he has had since he was 14. He is the Lebron James of basketball.

If you want to be optimistic, Harper's 19 year old season blows Trout's away.

But really, projecting $300 million for either is really jumping the gun. Yes, Trout is much closer to it. But both of those guys could easily regress this year instead of progress.

Trout has room to regress a little and still be in MVP talks again though, he set the bar really high. It took someone hitting for the triple crown to beat him out. Obviously I'm a huge Trout fan but I don't see Harper ever being as good as him either. Not that Harper isn't great, I just don't see him being on Trouts level unless he makes a big jump this year.

Trout has room to regress a little and still be in MVP talks again though, he set the bar really high. It took someone hitting for the triple crown to beat him out. Obviously I'm a huge Trout fan but I don't see Harper ever being as good as him either. Not that Harper isn't great, I just don't see him being on Trouts level unless he makes a big jump this year.

There is evidence (like BABIP) that suggests he was kinda lucky last year. That alone could be the difference between "really great rookie year" and "holy shit best player in baseball at 20" as some would believe. Most of the fantasy guys are projecting him between .300 and .310 this year.

Interesting bet would be who hits more HRs over their career. I'd consider betting on Harper there. Bigger guy with a bigger swing.

they both only have 1 year in the majors, Harper is 19, Trout is 21, both have less than 5 years of professional baseball in their careers... but I wont deny the insane talent both have... trout nearly had 200 hits in 139 games.  i mean, thats just insane to think about.  can he keep it up into his second season?  yeah, I think he'll be a monster this year, that Angels line up is just insane with the addition of Hamilton to the lineup... but I still think Harper will have a better career overall, based completely on nothing but my ability to randomly pick between two based on a feeling.

There is evidence (like BABIP) that suggests he was kinda lucky last year. That alone could be the difference between "really great rookie year" and "holy shit best player in baseball at 20" as some would believe. Most of the fantasy guys are projecting him between .300 and .310 this year.

Interesting bet would be who hits more HRs over their career. I'd consider betting on Harper there. Bigger guy with a bigger swing.

faster guys tend to have higher BAbips. i think i saw his was up in the .360 range for 2012 but i wouldn't be surprised if it regressed to something like .340 -- which would approximate to something like .315 BA, so that makes perfect sense.

edit: P.S. felix deal isn't finalized because of concerns with his elbow.

I understand your point. But a .383 babip is high, regardless of wheels. He also struck out a bunch.

Trying to think of a comparable guy to compare him to. Matt Kemp in 2011? Lot's of speed and pop there too (I wouldn't want to compare Trout to Michael Bourn because while equally fast, Trout hits the ball harder).

Kemp had a .380 babip in '11 and pretty close in value to Trout in '12. However, over Kemp's career he has had a babip of about .350, which has resulted in a batting average around .300 most years.

I think that is a pretty good example to show what could easily happen to Trout. Kemp was still a top-10 player in baseball last year when healthy and Trout will be this year. Sometimes the balls just land in the right places and you get a career year. But if that babip drops to .350-.360 this year as a lot of people are projecting, you probably have a .310 hitter.

Miggy hit .331 on a .330 babip. Not even sure how to really interpret that. I think I did the math and it means his At-Bats X Home Runs = Hits x (strikeouts + home runs - sacrifice flys). Guess that doesn't help too much.

Forget about the defense argument for a minute, how can you give Trout a higher O-War than Cabrera? You know what actually wins games? Runs produced, not batting average or steals or obp or home runs. And Cabrera produced 248 to Trout's 212. How can anyone justify a higher O-War (which is half of total WAR).

Your stat of runs produced is verrrrrry basic. Josh Willingham was closer to Trout than Trout was Cabrera. Of course, if Trout didn't spend 20+ games in AAA, he would be above Cabrera anyways

I would side with Trout's offensive season, but it's close. The difference is obviously Cabrera playing a corner infield spot like a slug, while Trout was an elite center fielder.

Definitely a simple stat. If someone wants to argue Trout is whole package while Cabrera is only offense and just sufficient as a defender, I totally get it. I just don't see how trout can have a better o-war when Miggy produced 36 more runs. How is he contributing wins offensively without producing runs?

Definitely a simple stat. If someone wants to argue Trout is whole package while Cabrera is only offense and just sufficient as a defender, I totally get it. I just don't see how trout can have a better o-war when Miggy produced 36 more runs. How is he contributing wins offensively without producing runs?

Mike Trout had 180 AB's with runners on and 111 with RISP

Miguel Cabrera had 291 AB's with runners on and 174 with RISP