Stand-up comedy (Formerly I hate Mencia)

Maybe it's just me, but Norm kinda sucked on the roast. I didn't find himt to be his usual deadpan funny.

i dont think you got the point of the routine.

Maybe not his...then again, I wasn't fully paying attention when I watched it. I was on the computer putzing around the VC boards...just like I am now...how 'bout that!

I love Lewis Black and Eddie Izzard. Two of my favorites. Last time I saw Izzard he did this bit about Giraffes warning each other about a lion. No talking for about 3-5 minutes and I was mesmerized. It was hilarious

God, Izzard is amazing. I always considered him more of a performer than an comedian. Sure he's funny but his routine is so smart and well rehearsed that it doesn't seem like stand up.

And not smart like the Denis Miller, "Oh this is worse than (insert some remark about a painter in 3,000BC)". He just knows a ton about history and politics but incorporates it to make it clear enough to be funny.

I love Lewis Black and Eddie Izzard. Two of my favorites. Last time I saw Izzard he did this bit about Giraffes warning each other about a lion. No talking for about 3-5 minutes and I was mesmerized. It was hilarious

God, Izzard is amazing. I always considered him more of a performer than an comedian. Sure he's funny but his routine is so smart and well rehearsed that it doesn't seem like stand up.

And not smart like the Denis Miller, "Oh this is worse than (insert some remark about a painter in 3,000BC)". He just knows a ton about history and politics but incorporates it to make it clear enough to be funny.

Totally, 100% agree. I got lucky enough to see him in a tiny place in Santa Monica. It was great.

Maybe it's just me, but Norm kinda sucked on the roast. I didn't find himt to be his usual deadpan funny.

yeah, i love norm macdonald but it was kind of weird watching him and his reactions. i thought the jokes about him were funnier. most of the people on the roast only had a couple good jokes, like every olsen twin joke in the book isn't used up by now. should have had penn (fraser jillette) on there to rip saget a good one. i should have just watched dirty work for the 100th time. ;D

i kinda like carlos mencia, i like probably 30% of the jokes on each show but it's not a show i really find myself watching more than once. he has a few decent jokes here and there. definitely stuck in the stereotypical/race rut though.

can't stand seinfeld. blah. there's too much love around for that dude.

iliza schlesinger. yum. glad she won, figured she would from the start. jeff dye was cool, he should have been 2nd instead of that marcus douchebag (with the hot g/f in the audience!). the worst one of the whole bunch: RON G. i saw an ad on starz for 'Martin Lawrence Presents 1st Amendment Stand-Up' and he's featured on there. ugh. can't stand the dude or his stupid rehashed voice thing he does. was hoping to see him voted off from the start. him and papa cj can take a hike.

dave attell, probably my favorite. what's up with the gong show though? so weak. i miss Insomniac!

and henry rollins rules. ah, the stories.

[image]

• 6 years later...

Bumping a way old thread but my good friend has been doing improv classes and writing for a standup set for a while but now hes giving it a go at trying to make it a career and filmed a recent showcase he did.

I wanted to share it with everyone cause bias aside i think hes really good, he's always been the funniest person i know and best story teller so i'm really happy and excited for him to get the wheels turning.

Warning, it might not be everyone's cup of tea and the following video has profanity and is definitely NSFW