VC Book Club

Confederacy of Dunces is hands down my favorite book ever. It only got published b/c the dude's mom basically hounded this lit proffessor after her son's suicide.

Also, O'Toole wrote another novel called The Neon Bible when he was 15. It's the only other work he ever published, and the source of the Arcade Fire album title.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished "Blindness" by José Saramago, and i can say it's one of the best books i've ever read.

I'm currently reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan and will soon start "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Anyone finished "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein? I thought of starting it as well.

Guest genericinsight
I finished Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis yesterday. It was pretty damn depressing. I also bought Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. It should be here tomorrow.

Less Than Zero is great, though yeah, depressing.

He does repeat himself a bunch, but he brings up a lot of interesting ideas and is pretty funny at the same time. I loved that book.

I'm kinda on the fence about CK, too. Although, S,D, & CP is definitely his best. IV is II, and Killing Yourself To Live would be second if not for the interspersed emo-kid-diary parts throughout the book. Fargo Rock City is meh.

Guest falloutcollapse

Stoked on this thread as I just rekindled my love for reading. I am currently reading Tuesdays with Morrie as just a quick read, I started today and I'm already halfway done. It's really good, kinda cheesy but I like that. I also picked up Michael Ian Black's book of essays. So stoked to get started on that soon.

• 1 month later...

I havent really sat down to read in over two weeks. I'm currently halfway through Chuck Palahniuk's "invisible monsters". I hope to finish it this week. After that, I'm on my last Palahniuk book (Diary). And then after that, I'm gonna go back to a thread I made asking for recommendations, and start picking stuff out.

I havent really sat down to read in over two weeks. I'm currently halfway through Chuck Palahniuk's "invisible monsters". I hope to finish it this week. After that, I'm on my last Palahniuk book (Diary). And then after that, I'm gonna go back to a thread I made asking for recommendations, and start picking stuff out.

he has a new one that came out about a month ago called snuff... its pretty good.