VC Collector fo the month, Matt Flood

Guest admin1338560633

[image]

I am excited to bring you our December Vinyl Collector of the Month, Matt Flood. Besides being an avid record collector, Flood is also the mastermind behind Asbestos Records, the label responsible for putting out a majority of the Bomb! the Music Industry vinyl. Matt runs an incredible label and I feel really lucky to be able to work with him through Vinyl Collective.

I learned a few things about Matt from this interview, I never knew that Matt was in a band as you can see from the photo and there are several other interesting things that you will learn from Matt by reading further. Thanks Matt for taking the time to do the interview.

VC: Your name and the city you live in.

MF: Matt Flood, Ansonia CT

VC: How many records do you own?

MF: somewhere around 200 LPs, and about 600 7” in my personal collection, not including all the Asbestos Records stuff that’s kicking around the house.

VC: Why do you collect vinyl?

MF: I can always remember loving vinyl, from sitting on the floor my living room with that standard brown/beige/orange fischer-price turntable that everyone seemed to have as a kid listening to my dads records, or stuff my parents bought for me. Then once I discovered punk rock, I found a lot of really cool releases by bands I loved were only available on vinyl, most specifically Nofx 7”s and Eps. Now overall I appreciate the larger cover art, the liner notes.. having to actually sit down and listen to the music, flipping over the singles and whatnot, as well as the whole hobby aspect of it, tracking down rare presses and whatnot.

VC: What is your most prized record in your collection?

MF: It’d be really hard to pick a single piece, overall I think my Bomb the Music Industry! collection, will always be foremost in my heart, because of our part in releasing a good deal of the albums, also being the first vinyl we ever released. As far as other labels releases I have amassed a pretty ridiculous Against Me! Collection, including 6 test presses, and a bunch of rare stuff like the Red Explosion Disco Before the Breakdown, and all the in between pressings copies of Cavalier Eternal. Those two collections are far and away the prides of my collection.

VC: What release would you like to see come out on vinyl that hasn't yet been released?

MF: I’d love to see the rest of the Cake albums that aren’t available on vinyl pressed, as well as the major label They Might Be Giants + Dead Milkmen releases… especially Factory Showroom. After that probably just obscure ska bands like Sgt Scagnetti, and weird stuff like King Missile. I also don’t think they ever pressed Meat Puppets – Forbidden Places… I’d like to own a copy of that.

VC: What is the most you have spent for a record?

MF: I’ve spent more than I’d like to admit chasing down Against Me! Test pressings, although its nowhwere near what I pay to press vinyl.. so somehow it makes sense.

VC: What out of print record would you kill to own?

MF: a record release copy of the Against Me! – S/T 12”, or a copy of Converge – Jane Doe.

VC: Your last 5 record that you purchased?

MF: 1. converge – petitioning forever 2xlp

2. 108 – a new beat from a dead heart

3. Nofx – They’ve actually gotten worse live 2xlp

4. Propagandhi – how to clean everything

5. Baroness – the red album

thanks everyone,ill try not to abuse the power of the office.

scott - i think either fashion nugget, or prolonging is on vinyl.. it just goes for way too much money.

faith - at a good deal of our shows the entire band has worn our own shirts :)

ericthered - virgil is very partial to bribes consisting of alt-country records and imported beer.