Stuck in Salt Lake City

Guest admin1338560633

So my friends Zach and Nicole and I drove to salt lake city to purchase another Expedit bookshelf from Ikea (it truly sucks we don't have an Ikea in Denver). Although all 3 of us looked at online forecasts for the drive and saw that the roads were supposed to be fine, I-80 was a bed of ice. We stayed in Rawlins, Wyoming last night and rocked that hotel bar til 2am. We woke up at 8am to hit the road and the road conditions were so bad. We saw 12 diesel trucks in ditches (2 of which were fedex trucks) and the drive was touch and go the entire time. We finally made it to IKEA around 5pm and shopped for a few hours (Ikea is so fuckinng rad). The combined 13 hours of driving we did to get to Salt Lake is about 5 hours longer than it should have taken. We were considering getting back on the road tonight to stay in Grand Junction, CO, but we were just way too tired. Instead we ate some food (we almost ate at a place called GuadalaHonkeys) and then got a hotel in SLC. Please send good thoughts our way as we really hope the roads are better on our return trip back to Denver.

It will be all worth it when we get our 2nd vinyl book shelf up and our house will be less cluttered with boxes of vinyl!

I just picked up Jim Gaffigan's "Beyond the Pale" so that will make the drive that much better. Listening to the new Drag the River and this really great band, KK and his Weathered Underground, has been great road trip music!

I hope everyone else is having a better weekend than us.

hey virgil, did you ever get that elliott smith record from me?

not yet, but I only go to the po box on tuesday mornings. more than likely it will be there on Tuesday. thanks.

Guest scriptedrain

Sorry to hear, Virgil. Stay safe!

The roads have actually kept me at home... away from being at the 50-yard-line of the Vikings / Lions today. :(

Stay safe, Virgil! It just started snowing in Cleveland earlier tonight and already people on the road have completely forgotten how to drive.

Yeah last night at like 9 when the freezing rain started to really stick the roads, all we got were stuck calls at work. Twinsburg was getting hit hard, so I imagine you guys were too since it gets the lake effect too.

Have a safe trip back you all, driving in icey conditions is never fun- unless you are in a huge parking lot and doing donuts.