post your set-up thread

40 minutes ago, Highlite23 said:

Are they? I have about another foot or so they can be moved out. Is there a rule of thumb for distance between speaker's and or from the turntable?

Not necessarily a rule of thumb,but the vibrations from the speaker can/will affect playback on the turntable.

On 3/31/2017 at 10:49 PM, EGsynergy said:

Klipsch 150m train from a shoebox sized student apartment bedroom. Great speakers. 110sw in the mail (should be here Monday.)

This is as far back as I can get for the picture.

onkyo a9050

klipsch 150m

klipsch 110sw (not pictured)

debut carbon espirit sb (downgraded from an RP3 carbon. the belt would constantly roll off).

pioneer cts44

Never updated on this. I mean I'm sure people don't care but I enjoy having some form of catalog of my setup's evolution. It sounds as good as a sub on a mini fridge can.

gSsI8W9.jpgI still haven't found the time to finally alphabetize my collection. There is another shelf to the right with upper shelves filled. Not a fan of the bottom shelves.

hobby lobby photo boxes are a godsend for 7"s.

Edited by EGsynergy

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, slinch said:

Was about to say. What are those, made of some old couches or something?

I wouldn't sit on them though the Electro in Electrostatic is quite big, about 10,000V

Quite a thing the Quad ESL57 considering they were fiirst for sale in 1957, the early ones were copper coloured, very distinctive and very sought after, a real piece of HiFi history these and something you should hear at least once, like everything good in HiFi they require a lot of careful looking after but when they are right there is nothing quite like them especially when driven with valves.

As it says on the Quad website The ESL was the world’s first full range, ultra low distortion electrostatic loudspeaker and set standards for accuracy and fidelity in loudspeakers that remains unsurpassed to this day. A labour of love for founder Peter Walker, the ESL-57, as it came later to be known, is still revered by audiophiles all over the world

Quad certainly persevered with this technology as they still make Electrostatics today http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/product.php?cid=5

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, rrd said:

QXdE9ld.jpg

just re-arranged my setup

Turntable: Pro-ject Debut III w/ Speed Box S and Acryl-It Platter

Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Blue

Receiver: Marantz Model 2230B

Speakers: Paradigm Mini-Mk3
Tape Deck: Technics RS-631
Backup Turntable: Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2 w/ MMC 4 Cartridge

You could benefit from an external phono preamp.

4 minutes ago, rrd said:

Thanks, yeah I've been thinking about one. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

I was a fan of my Schiit Mani when I had one. Tons of cartridge loading options.

http://www.schiit.com/products/mani

Edit: I have read some people have had issues with radio interference with them, but I had no issues.

Edited by Thomas³

15 hours ago, rrd said:

Thanks, yeah I've been thinking about one. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

I had a Schitt Mani and it sounded like crap in my setup. (I actually tried 2 of them) I got a whole bunch of RF feedback, picking up a local radio station clear as day. There's a thread on SHtv where others mention the same issue.

I eventually ended up with a Lounge Audio MK III preamp, and it blows the doors off that piece of Schitt I originally had.

Yes, it's $300, but it's well worth it! Also, the owner/designer is a member over on SHtv, so you can ask him all the questions you want. His name over there is Morinix.

http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

Edited by vinyl addict

14 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I had a Schitt Mani and it sounded like crap in my setup. (I actually tried 2 of them) I got a whole bunch of RF feedback, picking up a local radio station clear as day. There's a thread on SHtv where others mention the same issue.

I eventually ended up with a Lounge Audio MK III preamp, and it blows the doors off that piece of Schitt I originally had.

Yes, it's $300, but it's well worth it! Also, the owner/designer is a member over on SHtv, so you can ask him all the questions you want. His name over there is Morinix.

http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

I thought it was you who had the issues here. That's pretty strange, as I had no issues with one and I like 5 blocks over from a radio station.

15 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I thought it was you who had the issues here. That's pretty strange, as I had no issues with one and I like 5 blocks over from a radio station.

Me and a few others over on SHtv. When I messaged Schitt about it (after trying a second unit) they told me it was news to them and a unique issue, which I know is BS because others messaged them about it also.

• 3 months later...

Not audio equipment, so I apologize if this is the wrong thread.

Has anyone tried these shelves before? There isnt an Ikea near me unfortunately so thought these might work: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-8-Cube-Storage-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/29741111

Also has anyone tried putting records on just the top shelf/shelves and putting other things on the bottom shelf? Im not sure if it would hold or if it would be ok from the weight distribution.

1 hour ago, sirensongofra said:

Has anyone tried these shelves before? There isnt an Ikea near me unfortunately so thought these might work: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-8-Cube-Storage-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/29741111

Also has anyone tried putting records on just the top shelf/shelves and putting other things on the bottom shelf? Im not sure if it would hold or if it would be ok from the weight distribution.

I have one of those, a 3x4, and some 2x2s. As long as you store those sideways (4 across, 2 up), then you should be fine. They are a strong brand of shelves. I've had mine going on 4 years now and the shelves show no bending.

2 hours ago, sirensongofra said:

I have the kallax version. I have 2 setups that utilize a 2x4, with a 2x2 stacked on top.

With one of the 2x4, I removed the top middle spacer, and placed my turntable in the space. Don't forget, there is still a 2x2 full of vinyl stacked on top of it. It's been this way for at least 3 years without a hint of bowing or failure. 

Keep in mind, every one of my  kallax is securely mounted to the wall.

I posted pics on the storage/kallax thread a couple times, but I'm sure PB took them down. I don't how to post pics now.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted and my set up has changed a little, although it's still just as bad

38014536164_8815e98de5_c.jpg

38685455832_0f622d783c_c.jpg

2 Channel / Music : Marantz 2238

Boston Acoustics VR965

ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit with an AT-440mla

5.1 / TV / Movies: Marantz SR7009

Boston VR965

Boston VR910 Center (not pictured)

B&W ASW608 Subwoofer

B&W M-1 Surrounds

Edited by yanquiuxo

• 2 weeks later...