post your set-up thread

24 minutes ago, mondie said:

^^ nice second system made up of some of your 'spare' bits :) This is mine, I mainly play vinyl into active ADAM speakers.

SFG14662a_zpskbnmoeru.jpg

SFG14669a_zpssg15xpyd.jpg

As a rule I'm not a fan of powered speakers but when they're done right they can be quite impressive and those are pretty imposing beasts, I bet the mid top end is impressive with that ribbon tweeter array.

Wow, there's some great rigs in here. Mine is very modest compared to some of these I'm seeing.

For my vinyl I run...

Lounge MCR MK III phono preamp

Carver CT-29v preamp/tuner

Carver AV-505 amp

Klipsch RF-15 towers

Klipsch KSW-10

I have a separate 5.1 surround sound setup for home theater

Denon 2312Ci receiver

Sony satellite speakers

same KSW-10 sub as the vinyl setup

IMG_20160504_083141_zpsq0lxkqbn.jpg

IMG_20160504_083058_zps6luhjqm4.jpg

IMG_20160504_172753_zpst6ohtjbe.jpg

6 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Can I have that? What tt is that?

Speakers are ADAM Tensor Alpha's, a German made 5 way design. Turntable is German too, a Brinkmann LaGrange.

6 hours ago, allenh said:

As a rule I'm not a fan of powered speakers but when they're done right they can be quite impressive and those are pretty imposing beasts, I bet the mid top end is impressive with that ribbon tweeter array.

They are air motion transformers not ribbons. Sounds like you haven't heard a well engineered active system to me.

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo said:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Any ideas on what I should use to raise them?

those are stand mount speakers.  You'll want to mount them on speaker stands.  The specs will likely give you some guidelines on positioning, but the rule of thumb is that the tweeter should be at roughly ear height from your listening position.  those are large speakers, you'll likely end up needing stands that are a bit shorter than average if your listening from couch-height.

12 hours ago, mondie said:

Sounds like you haven't heard a well engineered active system to me.

11 hours ago, Tardcore said:

Sounds like you only read half of the first sentence of his post?

I've not heard any ADAM speakers no and it's not a brand I'm really aware of hence not knowing they weren't ribbons but I've heard enough other Active speakers both good and bad so as my learned colleague says read a little further.

As someone who builds amplifiers in my spare time my preference to external amplification is from an electronic engineering standpoint, that and the amplifiers I generally build contain valves which tend to not like being in closed boxes with magnets

Edit

And now I've got to go and find some ADAM's to listen to, I make a point of listening to as much sound equipment as I possibly can in one lifetime and I can't hold an opinion on something until I've heard it.

50 minutes ago, allenh said:

And now I've got to go and find some ADAM's to listen to, I make a point of listening to as much sound equipment as I possibly can in one lifetime and I can't hold an opinion on something until I've heard it.

ADAM made their name in Pro audio so nearly all of their designs are active but sadly the Tensor range is no longer made. They nearly went bankrupt about 2 yrs ago and had to scale back their ambitions somewhat hence no monster 5 way actives like mine are made anymore.

10 minutes ago, mondie said:

ADAM made their name in Pro audio so nearly all of their designs are active but sadly the Tensor range is no longer made. They nearly went bankrupt about 2 yrs ago and had to scale back their ambitions somewhat hence no monster 5 way actives like mine are made anymore.

I had a quick look at the website and couldn't find yours so that explains it, they do look to display the sort of attention to detail you'd expect from Teutonic engineering. The tweeter design looks very interesting

My experience of active speakers is mostly from the powered BBC Rogers speakers, the  and the Boothroyd Stuart and Cambridge domestic units and so far none of the modern active's I've heard quite measure up to the Rogers and I notice now there seems to be a trend in studios to use domestic passive speakers with some studios employing speakers from people like Bowers & Wilkins and Focal, funny how ideas change, we'll be back to NS-10's and LS3/5a's soon

On 05/05/2016 at 11:23 PM, shaizada said:

@mondie, Hi!!  I am the one who bought your Kuzma Stabi XL4!! :)  The one in your avatar.  How are you doing? 

So do you like the Brinkmann better....if possible, can you tell me a bit about the differences sonically?

Hello Gaurav!

It would be wrong of me to say I like it more because when I sold my XL4 to you it had received little use for 2 yrs due to the rental property we were stuck in at the time. The Brinkmann however does sound utterly superb in every way, it is such a simple, elegant design but beautifully made. I am big fan of the Kuzma 4Point arm so when I saw this deck available ex dem including the optional HRS base I had to have it. You may recall I sold the XL4 as I wanted to downgrade to something simpler but I can honestly say I haven't lost anything on SQ.

I suggest you try and borrow a HRS isolation base under your XL4, I reckon that is a major contributor to the incredibly solid 3d images the Brinkmann creates. Its really surprising just how well the HRS does of isolating vibration. Its easy to try for yourself -  if I knock on my rack I cannot feel any vibration on the deck at all. Its really is an effective isolation system and I would now consider it an essential part of any mass loaded deck that lacks suspension like the XL4 or Brinkmans.

Cheers,

Simon

SFG14675a_zpsdvbmzpqg.jpg

On 5/7/2016 at 7:49 AM, mondie said:

Hello Gaurav!

It would be wrong of me to say I like it more because when I sold my XL4 to you it had received little use for 2 yrs due to the rental property we were stuck in at the time. The Brinkmann however does sound utterly superb in every way, it is such a simple, elegant design but beautifully made. I am big fan of the Kuzma 4Point arm so when I saw this deck available ex dem including the optional HRS base I had to have it. You may recall I sold the XL4 as I wanted to downgrade to something simpler but I can honestly say I haven't lost anything on SQ.

I suggest you try and borrow a HRS isolation base under your XL4, I reckon that is a major contributor to the incredibly solid 3d images the Brinkmann creates. Its really surprising just how well the HRS does of isolating vibration. Its easy to try for yourself -  if I knock on my rack I cannot feel any vibration on the deck at all. Its really is an effective isolation system and I would now consider it an essential part of any mass loaded deck that lacks suspension like the XL4 or Brinkmans.

Cheers,

Simon

Howdy Simon! 

Good to see you around here :)  I actually picked up a vibraplane to use under the Kuzma Stabi XL4.  Non ideal suspended floor setting, so had to decouple with active air compressors.  It worked out very well!  I will definitely keep your recommendation of the HRS Isolation base in mind if I ever get to place the system on a solid ground floor :)

I've been eyeing the Brinkmann Balance table as it looks like such a german masterpiece...I bet it is a great sound as well.  These top notch turntable manufacturers are really something else.  Their craft is simply superb!

I'm very glad you were able to change turntables without losing sound quality!  That is really great to know.

Having used the Kuzma Airline for a while, what do you feel about the Airline vs Kuzma 4 point tonearm?