post your set-up thread

590653902.jpg?key=6121024&Expires=1338831954&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=biTAmcZrkgKP6NutqSRfeELDe5Wbv6enKqTE47WOvyCUbZS8p1D7UUS27aVNtPE4ry0r3gLJ46iELK8OV0oXaeG~XQd82pv9drqncWLPUPgYE7vdPXiMjSsBWkh5vMiNTzkqDR3lZBQdX9DOR0PGsYExsnhGzg5B6c2xx9XwcV8_

I've got my dad's old Fisher MT-728. It's fully automatic, which is kinda lame, because I like the manual arm setup. But it was a free turntable and my first! I found the vinyl cabinet in my Uncle's abandoned house with tons of old shit dating as far back as the 50's. It's 2 sliding doors, I have one slid open, but you slide it back and there's one behind it and more records. It's full now though....so another shelf should be in the plans.

Nothing too flashy, but here is what a college student-budget setup looks like. Also worth noting, the big Technics speakers and the small bookshelf speakers beneath my records are not being utilized.

Table: Audio Technica ATLP120

Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR-65

Speakers: Pioneer Bookshelf SP-BS41

w99uA.jpg

L82Hz.jpg

dsc0265medium.jpg

This is the desk and the stereo area.

dsc0266medium.jpg

Different view. I like my new record hangers. Basically, just two grooves that you put the albums in and out of. Easy access and allows me to display them and play them without too much hassle.

dsc0267medium.jpg

Little DVD area. Mostly just music DVDs and TV series

dsc0268medium.jpg

I know it looks like its on an angle but it isn't. I was trying to get the whole thing in by standing on a chair.

dsc0269mediumt.jpg

The turntable. The stand is an old radio that my dad had. I took out the guts and set up the receiver in there as well as a speaker. I have a piece of oak separating the turntable from the tape deck. I rarely use the tape deck so at this point it's pretty much aesthetics

dsc0270medium.jpg.

Close up of the table. Its a Pro-Ject Xpression. Speed box is there and the black thing in the centre is the puck. As well, the required/standard Discwasher.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my set-up finished (minus the wire management, which will be done later tonight). So excited, hence all the pictures I've added here.

Here's the whole record area in the living room.

photo22.jpg

Rega RP1 with JVC A-GX3 receiver (excuse the Goodwill price tag). My roommate drew on the dust cover and built the shelf that the Rega is sitting on.

photo5.jpg

Close-up of the file holder used as a record queue.

photo4.jpg

Close-up of jacket display for what's on the turntable- also made by my awesome roommate.

photo52.jpg

Back view of the jacket display. The back is from the inside of a dvd player.

photo2.jpg

Front view of the jacket display. Hard to see, but the front piece (lip) is from a record.

photo23.jpg

Side view of jacket display.

photo42.jpg

I really like the record display and the extra shelf. Your roommate sounds like an awesomely creative person.

Thanks! Well, I'll tell my roommate since my only contributions included telling her that I wanted to put my tt, speakers and receiver on the top of the Expedit but it felt too crowded, getting super glue on my hand and telling her that other people on VC had cool "easels" and I wanted one too. Haha!

I was a little skeptical when she said she was going to try the DIY approach since I'm the least handy and creative person... but I love how everything turned out!

653j0w.jpg

Sony PS-LX155A Turntable

Sony STR-S255 Receiver

Sony cassette deck (can't find model #)

2x Realistic Optimus T-120 speakers

Got the whole set up for free including the cabinet from someone on Kijiji so I can't complain too much about it!

Oh, and I also have a Dual 1214 turntable that I'm not using right now.

653j0w.jpg

Sony PS-LX155A Turntable

Sony STR-S255 Receiver

Sony cassette deck (can't find model #)

2x Realistic Optimus T-120 speakers

Got the whole set up for free including the cabinet from someone on Kijiji so I can't complain too much about it!

Oh, and I also have a Dual 1214 turntable that I'm not using right now.

This needed a Big Lebowski reference

img2.jpg

dnsnlsn, does that amp have enough juice for those diamonds? From my experience they need a shitload of power to trully sing, an I'm not sure that the Fatman (or Dared or whichever rebranding you have) can deliver. Ever tried them with anything else?

To address your question, the speakers really do need more juice. I really have to turn it almost all the way up to get the speakers to sing and if I turn too high, the bass on the speakers do not respond properly (They just wobble).

I have tried them with a NAD C316 BEE and I felt like that did the job. But my room isnt that big and I like the tube sound better so I stuck with the dareds.