Jump to content
salparadise

post your set-up thread

Recommended Posts

On 8/1/2016 at 0:45 PM, bjorn said:

^Nice. Thoughts on the Budgie? Have you compared it to any other preamps?

I love the budgie. It definitely took a little while for it to "burn in" (or more likely for my ears to get used to it) but I couldn't be happier with it. Great clarity, clear highs and smooth lows. It pairs excellently with my Ortofon 2M Blue, and Shannon Parks, the designer, is super helpful with any and all questions!

 

On 8/1/2016 at 0:55 PM, slinch said:

No speakers? ;)

I do have speakers, a pair of Polk Audio RTI A1 and the Polk Audio 111 Subwoofer, but these days I do most of my listening after my gf goes to sleep so my ATH M50x get a lot more run time than the speakers - and those headphones are no joke, crazy clear and comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple quick pictures of my setup:

 

B9b0eYk.jpg

WnXrhnV.jpg

 

It consists of a Michell Gyro SE w/Origin Live Silver arm and Dynavector 20x2H cartridge, custom chassis 125W monoblocks and preamp based largely on the M125's in Bob Latino's lineup, and a pair of Harbeth C7 ES-3's

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a separate setup that I share with the family.  Single driver speakers, low wattage amps, vinyl.  Simple and heartwarming sound from this one.

 

Amps:  EAR V20 Integrated or Almarro 318B

Turntable: Micro Seiki BL-91L with SME 3012 Series II (Early Version) tonearm, Supex 900 Super MC cartridge

Phono: Eddie Current Transcription 

Speakers: Blumenstein Naga's with dual subs, Townshend Audio Supertweeters

Cables: Kubala Sosna Emotion

 

30079951121_8273bbd812_b.jpg

Edited by shaizada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shaizada said:

This is a separate setup that I share with the family.  Single driver speakers, low wattage amps, vinyl.  Simple and heartwarming sound from this one.

 

Amps:  EAR V20 Integrated or Almarro 318B

Turntable: Micro Seiki BL-91L with SME 3012 Series II (Early Version) tonearm, Supex 900 Super MC cartridge

Phono: Eddie Current Transcription 

Speakers: Blumenstein Naga's with dual subs, Townshend Audio Supertweeters

Cables: Kubala Sosna Emotion

 

30079951121_8273bbd812_b.jpg

Surely that SME belongs with your Garrard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, allenh said:

Surely that SME belongs with your Garrard

The SME 3012 Series II, Early Version I have is a fantastic matchup with the Garrard.  But the Micro Seiki is already setup and singing with it, so I'm leaving it there.  I picked up a SME 3009R for use with the Garrard in the second arm board.  I'll set it up there and get that classic combination going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shaizada said:

The SME 3012 Series II, Early Version I have is a fantastic matchup with the Garrard.  But the Micro Seiki is already setup and singing with it, so I'm leaving it there.  I picked up a SME 3009R for use with the Garrard in the second arm board.  I'll set it up there and get that classic combination going.

See when you listen to the Garrard all you'll be thinking is, just how much better would it be with the 3012 on it?

 

I've got a plinth for my 401 now so I should have that built in a while, there's a fair amount of service work to do on the 401 but I won't know how much until I try it in a plinth. It's got an SME 3009 cut out arm board on the plinth so I'll go with that first but I have a mystery arm that I'm going to make into a 12" arm and put on it eventually,

 

I'd love to know what arm this is but it's a new one on me

arm%201_zpsy4nfxrvq.jpg

arm%202_zps2znduvbl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently building my own cabinet. About a week into the build. Pictured is right after I glued the pine top to the unit itself. It's clamped down as it dries. When it does I'll be cutting the ends so they're even, obviously. I'll be staining the whole unit, adding a little stopper to each 'cube' so all the records will be flush and won't go back but so far, as well as putting an LED strip under the top overhang (probably). Then I have a few minor things to touch up like sanding a few parts to make it perfectly even, as well as adding wood stripping to cover the face. Then maybe do some molding under the overhang of the pine top. This is my first time building a piece of furniture, so it's been fun. I'll take photos when it's done and all set up and an album if you guys are curious about teh design and build process.

Khobfj0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Currently building my own cabinet. About a week into the build. Pictured is right after I glued the pine top to the unit itself. It's clamped down as it dries. When it does I'll be cutting the ends so they're even, obviously. I'll be staining the whole unit, adding a little stopper to each 'cube' so all the records will be flush and won't go back but so far, as well as putting an LED strip under the top overhang (probably). Then I have a few minor things to touch up like sanding a few parts to make it perfectly even, as well as adding wood stripping to cover the face. Then maybe do some molding under the overhang of the pine top. This is my first time building a piece of furniture, so it's been fun. I'll take photos when it's done and all set up and an album if you guys are curious about teh design and build process.

Khobfj0.jpg

nice job. i built 4 shelves similar to that about a year and a half ago and they turned out great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.10.2016 at 0:19 AM, shaizada said:

This is a separate setup that I share with the family.  Single driver speakers, low wattage amps, vinyl.  Simple and heartwarming sound from this one.

 

Amps:  EAR V20 Integrated or Almarro 318B

Turntable: Micro Seiki BL-91L with SME 3012 Series II (Early Version) tonearm, Supex 900 Super MC cartridge

Phono: Eddie Current Transcription 

Speakers: Blumenstein Naga's with dual subs, Townshend Audio Supertweeters

Cables: Kubala Sosna Emotion

 

30079951121_8273bbd812_b.jpg

Seriously man, whatever job you have, I need the same... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Everyone can have fancy setups. Just allocate your money differently. Want $1k TT? Don't spend money on records, coffee, hookers, etc..

 

I've met poor audio techs in cinemas who make $20k/yr who have killer setups. I BELIEVE IN ALL OF YOU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

I don't know. I mean, if you're happy with what you have then does it matter if its not high dollar? Mine is pedestrian at best in comparison but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'd rather buy records than gear, though it is exciting elevating the quality of the sound you hear.

As long as it is not destroying your records, like some low end tables, then that's cool. Some people just get that bug to constantly improve their sound, and it does not go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×