post your set-up thread

Care to elaborate what the big difference is in running the turntable through the pre-amp first compared to just straight to the amp?

From the looks of it I guess it's a vintage (Kenwood? Onkyo?) amp. If so, it already has a good phono stage, no?

Thanks!

ajxd pretty much covered it. the receiver is a pioneer sx-939, it was purchased brand new in the 70's by my dad, and is in great shape. however, the downside of this generation of the pioneer sx series is that they used these cheap push button selectors for choosing inputs. the two phono switches don't work so great, and the built in phono preamp in the stereo is nothing to write home about.

as ajxd mentioned, i am using a yaqin ms-12b phono preamp, which is, in my opinion, an excellent value for the price. i love the preamp, and have used it for about 2.5 years now without a hiccup. i did replace the tubes when i first got it since the tubes it ships with are pretty trashy.

i run the yaquin into one of the pioneer's aux inputs, since these switches work just fine.

moral of the story. if the phono switches worked properly on my pioneer i probably would not have purchased the yaqin, but i am completely happy with the way everything sounds now so i cannot compain.

Those switches can be easily cleaned up with DeOxIt. But, that Yaqin is probably still better.

i have, it doesn't seem to help. deoxit works great on my guitar switches, but i think on these pioneer switches, the design just doesn't let enough/any fluid into the mechanism. i have tried deoxit d5 and faderlube. the switches still suck.

My current set-up:

5anl9d.jpg

20kbo89.jpg

Turntable: Denon DP-60L | Cartridge: Denon DL-160 | Clamp: Orsonic Disc Stabilizer DS-250

i6krrq.jpg

Preamp: McIntosh MX110

bfkv3q.jpg

Amp: Pioneer SA-750 (will eventually be replaced with a McIntosh MC2105... before everyone tells me to sell the preamp like they did with the other guy!)

29m3uw6.jpg

Speakers: Quad 77-11L

24odetd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...