NHL Discussion

Giroux suspended for game 5. I have no problem with it.. was a stupid move out of frustration. Can't allow that to happen.

Shanahan is still an absolute joke though. The lack of consistency makes the league look terrible.

Very surprised that Ovi didn't at least have a hearing.

However, TSN made a good point that if the Flyers can win game 5, Giroux is going to be incredibly revved up for game 6. I'm cautiously optimistic but the Devils are far from safe at this point.

The devils have never lost a 3-1 lead in franchise history and the flyers have only come back once from behind like this once. I say those are pretty good odds. Giroux totally deserved the suspension. Just can't be hitting someone in the face like that. I know he has a clean record but it was really uncalled for. Had the roles been reversed I would have been fine with the suspension.

Bryzgalov fucking blows. Straight up he's awful. Anytime Philly has any momentum he blows it. Good for my hockey pool though.

That Giroux hit was just dumb. I wonder what it feels like to lose a series for your team.

1. Bryz has kept them in the past two games, he is the one of the very few decent things going for them.

2. Not sure how Giroux lost the series for them, he hasn't done much in the series, as well as the entire rest of the team.

A lot of this simply comes down to (for the first time in Philly) Laviolette getting out-coached, badly. Stop fucking with the lines so much, stop with this bullshit dump & chase against an amazing puck handling goalie, when it is clearly not working, and get control of your team.

agree with lastwordspoken. I have no idea why the flyers continue to dump the puck around the boards. it's gotta either be dumped soft or far corner so brodeur can't play it. they also need to work on something different for the breakout, maybe a stretch pass because they can't get out of their own zone. the giroux, hartnell, jagr line was great all year - he split them up and they're doing nothing.

as far as the suspension - the inconsistency from shanahan is ridiculous. they're supposed to take into account the play, any injury, and prior record, yet more severe plays (weber) have gotten no suspensions and players with previous warnings (neal) have gotten the same penalty as those with no record.

Bryzgalov fucking blows. Straight up he's awful. Anytime Philly has any momentum he blows it. Good for my hockey pool though.

That Giroux hit was just dumb. I wonder what it feels like to lose a series for your team.

1. Bryz has kept them in the past two games, he is the one of the very few decent things going for them.

2. Not sure how Giroux lost the series for them, he hasn't done much in the series, as well as the entire rest of the team.

A lot of this simply comes down to (for the first time in Philly) Laviolette getting out-coached, badly. Stop fucking with the lines so much, stop with this bullshit dump & chase against an amazing puck handling goalie, when it is clearly not working, and get control of your team.

He hasn't been nearly as bad the last two games but it was WHEN he gave up goals that made the difference. Anytime Philly had the momentum he gave up a softie. I agree, his defence hasn't been there for him but in playoff hockey you need to be able to count on the goalie for the first save. In a playoffs being won almost single handedly by good goaltending, Bryz just doesn't stack up.

I don't think you can honestly think Giroux hasn't been your best all around player of the playoffs, including this series. Brier has the goals but Giroux has the assists, the power play work (Philly's powerplay is almost exclusively centered around the Giroux one-timer from mid/top circle), the penalty kill and he had both your goals last game (one short handed). I think it's going to be a HUGE loss for them tonight. But we'll see.

I don't think any of them have shown up to this series. All thought it would be a breeze, and it's fucking them badly. There hasn't been a single player on the ice in the orange & black in this series that has been great.

I'm not giving up, and will be going tonight, but really hope they wake the fuck up and start playing hockey.

And I should clarify.. don't get me wrong, having Giroux not on the ice is a huge loss, I am certainly not taking that away. But the team has the talent and potential to rally and win this without him, we'll just have to see if they do. I just wouldn't say Giroux lost the series by getting suspended this game.

And I should clarify.. don't get me wrong, having Giroux not on the ice is a huge loss, I am certainly not taking that away. But the team has the talent and potential to rally and win this without him, we'll just have to see if they do. I just wouldn't say Giroux lost the series by getting suspended this game.

Brodeur is beatable in these playoffs. He hasn't stolen anything yet except your offensive zone possession time. You guys need to get some shots on the damn net!

After seeing Philly come back from 3-0 against Boston and Devils blowing that crushing game 7 in regulation up by 1 with 2 minutes left a couple years back...this is not over at all. One eyed Pronger needs to make a surprise locker room appearance.

Bryz is 3-0 against the Devils this year, with a 0.29 GAA and .987 save percentage

Stats don't mean squat in the post season. I'm making another prediction: devils stun philly in 6! Not that I care one way or the other, just calling it as I see it.

Apparently, I gave Philly more credit than they deserved. Still called it pretty close though.

And the Devils advance. Wow. I'm sure as hell no one predicted the 3 current teams to get this far.

Maybe a certain fella from NJ who's watched the Devils gut out three Stanley Cups had faith?

Let's Go Devils. Had tix to game 3 and had to give them up for work. Like hell if I won't hit up the Conference Finals.

Playoffs sadly are about being the best for 16 games, nothing more. The best team doesn't always win, just the one that executes the best. The Flyers, Preds, Blues, Canucks were pretty tough in the regular season just didn't execute in the playoffs.

So presidents trophy > Stanley Cup?

You are truly a great team if you get the Presidents and Lord Stanley in the same season but it rarely ever happens. You have to play the best 16 games you have played all season to win it all along with having timely goals, great goaltending and last but certainly not least a shit ton of luck. The last one might be the most important. Phoenix is in the Western Conference Finals for exactly that reason. Mike Smith has been pretty good but everything that could go their way pretty much has. If winning a trophy was simply about being the best team the New England Patriots would have about 10 championships under Belichick. Also despise the playoff formats where division winners are seeded higher than teams with better records. NHL and NFL do this and its an absolute joke.