NHL Discussion

You know, we ARE in the last spot and we WILL go to the playoffs...(barring crazy collapse)...but we'll get knocked out in the first round.

It's frustrating because the Blues never build properly.

2002 and 2016...history repeated.

Lost the goalie that took the team to the Conference Finals. Lost the heart and soul of the team. I can go on.

Wait..I think we went to the second round the year after the last one...well...we'll see.

I actually like how the Blues are structured. Barbashev coming up has been great, they're really missing Fabbri who has been phenomenal. Jaskin is solid depth and Parayko has made losing Shattenkirk not nearly the problem it looked like it was going to be two years ago. My only problem with the team is I've never understood the blind devotion to Jake Allen. I just don't see what the the team sees in the guy. He's been with the big team for three years now and never impressed. 

This will be the first year in my life there hasn't been Red Wings playoff hockey. 

Edited by kylekrische

Thanks for the Fabbri bit. I've been wondering if we've overvalued him here in STL. I mean, I have no idea.

Barbs seems like he's matured nicely in Chicago and looking ready for a full time opportunity. He and Magnus Paajarvi (sp I'm sure) have made both Lehtera and Jaskin expendable, but Lehtera is now getting paid big(ish) dollars for the next four years....so we're probably stuck with him.

As for Allen...yeah...we've been wondering about that down here too...but he's at about the age where Elliott starting putting it together for us. Since he's been working with Broduer instead of Jim Corsi, we've seen a big change in his fundamentals. Jake's always had good streaks of play, but he's never had strong fundamentals.

He's the kind of player who's always had enough talent to get by on talent alone, till the NHL that is...so now he has to work...

The weirdest connection to a current NHL player for me is that I worked at Zach Hyman (on the Leafs)' Bar Mitzvah.  I was working at the Hockey Hall of Fame - got to meet a ton of players, including the 2005 Canada World Junior Team (basically one of the best junior teams of all time), and all kinds of Hall of Famers, but I remember Hyman's Bar Mitzvah in part because of how ridiculously opulent it was , namely that they used the hall as a venue. His family was in the paper for a long time because his dad would buy each hockey team he played on as he grew up to help make his way forward. Never really thought he'd make it as far as the NHL though...

Kitchener, Ontario has a bunch of hockey boys. Mike Hoffman, Tanner Pearson went to my high school and played on my age's AAA team but he was 3 years younger. Mark Scheifele, Kevin Klein, Kyle Quincey's brother went to my trade school. Scott Stevens was here before he was ending careers. Cool when it's playoffs and shit and they announce your hometown during the opening ceremony. 

Yeah, growing up in Edmonton I have had the pleasure (???  They're usually douchebags) of knowing a lot of NHLers.  Mark Pysyk's dad was my principal and I used to play guitar hero with him during breaks in junior high (LOL).  Also knew Duncan Siemens pretty well though he's a bust and douche.  Joe Morrow, Brendan Gallagher, went to school and was pretty well aquainted with Sam Steele's brother, who sadly passed away a few years ago, so it's really cool seeing Sam light it up.  My best friend throughout my childhood was drafted by Chicago and is the goalie for Ohio State, so it would be cool to see him make it.  

But yeah, chances are if you grew up in Canada you know a lot of NHLers.

Also can't wait to kick San Jose's ass in the first round.  I'll be at the first Oilers playoff game in a decade.  I AM SO EXCITED.

21 minutes ago, ianmonsta said:

Heads have rolled in LA

Dean and Daryl fired, Blake named GM & VP, Luc promoted to preseident

How do you feel about this Ian? I think Lombardi getting fired was deserved and actually helps this team. I think he's really mismanaged it over the last few years. Not sure you're going to get a better coach than Sutter though. Wish the Wings would hire him

7 minutes ago, kylekrische said:

How do you feel about this Ian? I think Lombardi getting fired was deserved and actually helps this team. I think he's really mismanaged it over the last few years. Not sure you're going to get a better coach than Sutter though. Wish the Wings would hire him

Sutter was expected, I thought they would just keep Dean as President of Hockey Ops, so that's a little bit of a shock.

Its obvious that Deans vision of a perfect team doesn't work anymore (Kings or last Team USA) and he failed to adapt to the new NHL.

I think Sutter had to go as well, its time to give the kids more expanded roles and he is pretty resistant to do that and make them earn it instead of being patient. He also extremely frustrating when it comes to keeping lines together, he gives no one time to gel and is extremely quick to line juggle which makes it pretty hard for guys to develop chemistry. Kempe for example should of been glued to Kopitars side for a few games, instead he makes 1 mistake and is dropped to the 3rd line.

Hopefully now we can get Kopitar some real line mates.

It will be an interesting summer.

Edited by ianmonsta