my vinyl feels sandy! WTF

here is the response jeremy over at TRL gave for the dust on the Mono - Gone 3LP

The powder is just dust particles from the pressing plant. It happens often when they change colors on the machine during the same run, especially on clear records. Just wipe it off with a vinyl record brush or a soft cloth. It'll come right off and will not affect the playthrough of the record. If anything, the record will sound better the more times you play it, as the dust clears out of the grooves.

here are the videos on youtube:

i imagine the swirl is achieved by having a different color near the center of the wax before its stamped against the plate. i know the A/B inside out vinyl is achieved by having different color wax on either side.

Yeah I thought that might be it. So the bottom half of the wax patty is one colour, and the other side is a different colour.

And I guess splatter is done by putting a few different coloured pellets in the patty near the center.

yeah, its normal. it has something to do with the process of pressing the swirl vinyl. most of them come out like that. you just have to brush it off with a carbon fiber brush and you should be good to go.

This is a common and slightly annoying side effect of producing the "HAZE" vinyl from GZ where most places are getting vinyl pressed now. Not entirely sure what it is, but it doesn't scratch, and it doesn't affect play. I have noticed that sometimes it leaves little specks on the labels, but aside from being annoying, it is pretty harmless...

this thread is redundant!

Though it may seem redundant, I was attempting to point out slight differences in terminology. The OP's Red Sparrows record, the lower one from his pic, is a "haze" It looks like this record here...

[image]

This is the record where it is very common to have this gritty, sandy feel to them. It is from "something" in the manufacturing process in this specific color configuration.

Swirl, also know as "a side / b side" or "inside / outside" or "two sided" depending on if you go thru Pirates Press, or Record Pressing, who both use the same plant in the Czech Republic, looks like this.

[image]

In best cases, you have one side that is all one color, and the other side has the second color as well. Most of the time, it just looks "swirly" or "bursty"

In the couple years we have been using them, we haven't had records come thru with noticeable grit that weren't "haze" records. Just throwing that out there. Even went into the back to check some of the swirly and splattery ones we just did.

As far as it goes with affecting resale value.... just clean it. Should be fine. Also...what the hell is resale value?

This is a common and slightly annoying side effect of producing the "HAZE" vinyl from GZ where most places are getting vinyl pressed now. Not entirely sure what it is, but it doesn't scratch, and it doesn't affect play. I have noticed that sometimes it leaves little specks on the labels, but aside from being annoying, it is pretty harmless...

You really need to clean a record with that gritty stuff on it before playing it. If you play it you're more likely to lodge that crap into the grooves making your record noisy. You'll also damage your stylus.

this thread is redundant!

Though it may seem redundant, I was attempting to point out slight differences in terminology. The OP's Red Sparrows record, the lower one from his pic, is a "haze" It looks like this record here...

[image]

This is the record where it is very common to have this gritty, sandy feel to them. It is from "something" in the manufacturing process in this specific color configuration.

Swirl, also know as "a side / b side" or "inside / outside" or "two sided" depending on if you go thru Pirates Press, or Record Pressing, who both use the same plant in the Czech Republic, looks like this.

[image]

In best cases, you have one side that is all one color, and the other side has the second color as well. Most of the time, it just looks "swirly" or "bursty"

In the couple years we have been using them, we haven't had records come thru with noticeable grit that weren't "haze" records. Just throwing that out there. Even went into the back to check some of the swirly and splattery ones we just did.

As far as it goes with affecting resale value.... just clean it. Should be fine. Also...what the hell is resale value?

Resale value being, some collectors don't want scratches all over their vinyl and would rather pay more for a copy that is clean insted of a copy that is scratched up a bit.

[image]

[image]

Resale value being, some collectors don't want scratches all over their vinyl and would rather pay more for a copy that is clean insted of a copy that is scratched up a bit.

I was more kinda making a lil joke in regards to resale value, as I have never really been one into grading punk / hardcore vinyl in the way that comic collectors, etc, have done. I think that releasing records has actually made this worse, considering I see the condition that records get to us in...

Our last records were actually left on our loading dock IN the snow...while it was snowing. I lol'd.

The couple records that I have in my personal collection that have the gritty issue, I have just cleaned the vinyl, and replaced the paper sleeve. I haven't noticed any surface scratches, and certainly not anything has come thru with playing them.

Records are fun.

:)

I was more kinda making a lil joke in regards to resale value, as I have never really been one into grading punk / hardcore vinyl in the way that comic collectors, etc, have done. I think that releasing records has actually made this worse, considering I see the condition that records get to us in...

Our last records were actually left on our loading dock IN the snow...while it was snowing. I lol'd.

The couple records that I have in my personal collection that have the gritty issue, I have just cleaned the vinyl, and replaced the paper sleeve. I haven't noticed any surface scratches, and certainly not anything has come thru with playing them.

Records are fun.

:)

I do the same thing with my records. Infact all pirates press stuff I always change the paper sleeves. I think the "sand" settels in the bottom of those sleeves during shipping. At least that is what I've found.