pressing information

I know that this seems like a huge moot point and everything.

My process for acquiring such is to first search on howsyouredge, and then google for the label site, and finally the bands myspace or any other last resorts.

Are there any better ways of doing this, any more well rounded resources? I've just recently been checking out Dead Format and it just doesn't seem to be so complete.

I'm considering trying to work on an absolute resource for as much as possible, was wondering if anyone else is doing this, or anyone else would be interested in helping put it together, It'd be time consuming, stressful, and a huge pain in the ass, but how glorious would it be, and how much do you wish for this every day?

Thoughts?

Guest nickman

what do you mean about deadformat not being so complete? if you know information that's not in the database, you can submit it.

if it's features you're talking about.. the site is constantly being worked on and i'm always welcome to hearing new ideas and suggestions.

while it's an excellent resource as far as UI goes and content, it seems like a lot of these sites are geared toward people who buy a certain spectrum of music. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and i'm not knocking the site at all.

but perhaps you are adding stuff in, and some is early dischord, some is oi, some is 90's screamo, some is lesser known 90s hardcore bands on small labels that existed for 3 releases, you come across several color variants of your favorite 90s alternative rock band, colored steely dan records, and some is new hydrahead stuff, etc.

i just think it all deserves to be one place where everyone can go. see the problem with HYE and VLV is that HYE is mostly hardcore records, VLV was only screamo records, and incomplete information for things like bane. etc.

doesn't it all deserve it's own place?

Oh, I know. It just seems to happen that way, obviously VLV and HYE are mostly their own respective things. Like I said I'm not knocking it at all, and when I get the time, which I might just do the next 4-5 days I'm hanging out at home all day, I'll add as much as I can.

I guess I just get frustrated looking for things and not having information anywhere. Which is probably just lack of care or whatever on the end of the people in bands/releasing it.

I asked if anyone else was doing it, for that specific reason. Maybe it's just a certain type of people that likes to post lists/pressing information, as well. I don't know.

Now I just kinda feel like I've pissed you off haha. And I didn't mean to at all.

Guest nickman

nah dude, it's cool.. i opened the site as a resource for any record collector to be able to find stuff out about their records, no matter what kind of music they were into.

it has only been up and running a few months and so the majority of the contributions really only come from a handful of people, so maybe that's why it seems like there's only certain stuff covered.

obviously there's no way of getting EVERYTHING in the database, but the site is expanding pretty rapidly and hopefully more people get ambitious enough to contribute more.

deadformat isn't really geared toward any particular kind of music at all. anyone can submit any record they want regardless of genre...

nickman, I just have to say that I love deadformat its a great site. I dont know why people dont understand how its not just you entering the info, or only certain types of music getting put up. But I know as more people use the site and learn how it actually works then the variety will grow.

Thanks for putting the site up and maintaining it.

+1

I contribute to the site as well but I have run into some time restraints lately and havent been able to get on as much.

the vivalavinyl site has a bunch of pressing info, mostly for more obscure hardcore stuff.

most record labels release their pressing info.

also there is a site called

www.t-dt-b.org

it doesnt have a ton of pressing info but it has a lot of pictures and info on some pretty obscure releases.

I just started messing around with Dead Format a few days ago and so far I love the site.

I was using it last night to help me fill out details for my list, but I ended up spending hours adding artists and releases that weren't on there to the database.

It's so easy to use too, I really like the site.

Sal, your third paragraph is basically saying "I want to make another dead format".

Why not just contribute to the one that already exists? If it's incomplete, complete it.

i do what i want. i do what i want.

at the initial point of having posted, id only looked at dead format a few times.

it doesn't matter, it's obviously clear that i've made myself look like an ass, for posting a thread in which i just asked a few questions trying to find out what was going on with that entire spectrum of the vinyl world. was clearly not knocking on dead format.