What video games have you been playing?

54 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Haven't played many games lately but holy jesus the Last Guardian is amazing so far. I feel like a real life little kid playing with a puppy on Christmas Day.

I'm so scared to play it. After ten years of waiting I'm scared it's not going to live up to my dreams. I would love a SotC remaster. 

14 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I'm so scared to play it. After ten years of waiting I'm scared it's not going to live up to my dreams. I would love a SotC remaster. 

I'm totally getting Ico / SotC feels for sure. I intentionally ignored critical reception and have no idea whether or not people like it because I didn't want any cons staring me in the face as I played. No complaints so far.

8 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

The series is amazing, but Uncharted 2 ... god damn that game is fucking amazing. You're gonna love them.

Agreed! 

Definitely play  through them in order. It's not necessary but the emotional pay off is so worth it. 3's my favorite. Those set pieces. Some of the most jaw dropping moments in gaming history. 

Edited by museummouth

On 1/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, Unique Antics said:

I received Lego Star Wars: TFA for Christmas, and I have to say this is probably the best Lego game in the series so far. 

I still haven't picked it up but have wanted to. I love that it got its own game unlike the rest of the movies. 

Also, Uncharted 1 for the win. They just made the graphics better with further installments, and didn't change up the gameplay enough. 

On 1/7/2017 at 11:15 AM, museummouth said:

Read the whole datamine and potential generalized plot analysis for RE7 and holy shit it sounds like it could be the best RE game yet. 

I'm so stoked for it. Its my favorite franchise, even though 6 was trash. I've been loving the remasters. 

I just found a bunch of copies of Battleborn on Xbox One for $10 at my Walmart, and I bought one. Does anyone on here still play it?

FFXV really won me over. So many feels. The beginning brotherhood really sets up the more story-centric final chapters. I feel like the longer you play, the more attached to the characters you are. I put in about 72 hours before the end. Just need to mop up a few more trophies for the platinum and maybe tackle some of the challenge dungeons. 

9 hours ago, Hanabi said:

Honestly I've been really into Grand Theft Auto Online and Star Wars: Battlefront again. I've also got the newest release of Resident Evil 4 on the Xbox One waiting for me but I haven't installed it yet.

Resident Evil 4 fuckin' rules.  I don't think it's much different than the 360 version besides a slight visual improvement, but still worth the money. 

5 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Started playing Inside.  Damn what a fun game.  Supposedly it's fairly short, but the story more than makes up for it.  I'm about an hour and a half in.

Game is so damn good. Crushed it in one sitting then went back for a second playthrough to get the stuff I missed.

5 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Resident Evil 4 fuckin' rules.  I don't think it's much different than the 360 version besides a slight visual improvement, but still worth the money. 

Hell yeah it does, one of the best games ever in my opinion. Got it for Christmas and I think it was only like $20 since the game has been re-released like a hundred times. Such a steal.

17 hours ago, Hanabi said:

Hell yeah it does, one of the best games ever in my opinion. Got it for Christmas and I think it was only like $20 since the game has been re-released like a hundred times. Such a steal.

Agreed, it's one of my favorites too. 

So so my buddy who runs the local GameStop just informed me that Nintendo Switch preorders start Friday morning :)

1, 2 Switch should have been included with the Switch like Nintendoland and Wii Sports were with their respective counterparts, so I'm not even going to count it. One launch game and a system $50 more expensive than PS4 or Xbox despite being much less powerful. Unbelievable. I've owned every single Nintendo console but I think this is the final straw. They have no idea what they're doing anymore, I'm just so disappointed. 

Edited by backpackoat

21 minutes ago, backpackoat said:

1, 2 Switch should have been included with the Switch like Nintendoland and Wii Sports were with their respective counterparts, so I'm not even going to count it. One launch game and a system $50 more expensive than PS4 or Xbox despite being much less powerful. Unbelievable. I've owned every single Nintendo console but I think this is the final straw. They have no idea what they're doing anymore, I'm just so disappointed. 

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GameCube and this is something I'm highly interested in. Zelda is a main draw for me anyway. Honestly the main properties I care for are Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, and Super Smash. The rest aren't nostalgic and aren't appealing. 1.2 Switch seems gimmicky as shit. 

About the the price thing, you do realize this is the launch price, right? Xbox One launched at like $500 or something, don't remember specifically because I waited a year to get one. $300 is crazy cheap for a launch price. Yeah, you can get a One S for $250 now, but Microsoft wasn't gonna charge an arm & leg just for a slight upgrade, although the Scorpio will be fucking powerful and cheap at launch. 

I think the Switch is something truly innovative, and I'm interested to see if they'll correct their course after the goddamn motion control sissy shit. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GameCube and this is something I'm highly interested in. Zelda is a main draw for me anyway. Honestly the main properties I care for are Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, and Super Smash. The rest aren't nostalgic and aren't appealing. 1.2 Switch seems gimmicky as shit. 

About the the price thing, you do realize this is the launch price, right? Xbox One launched at like $500 or something, don't remember specifically because I waited a year to get one. $300 is crazy cheap for a launch price. Yeah, you can get a One S for $250 now, but Microsoft wasn't gonna charge an arm & leg just for a slight upgrade, although the Scorpio will be fucking powerful and cheap at launch. 

I think the Switch is something truly innovative, and I'm interested to see if they'll correct their course after the goddamn motion control sissy shit. 

I definitely hear you, but my problem isn't with the price point itself, it's what I'm getting for the price. I used to be a believer in the "graphics don't matter, it's the gameplay that matters" mantra, and while I still believe that gameplay is paramount, it only goes so far while everything else in the world progresses and moves forward. We are in 2017 and I just can't see the long term benefit of the Switch having an entire console cycle (let's just say the next five years for the sake of argument) start off already two three years behind the competition while being severely underpowered in comparison. This will become even more prominent in the waning years of the cycle when I'm playing some Switch games at 30fps/720p on a 32gig system (albeit expandable) in 2022. 

Not to mention, required pay-to-play online service--and it's not even done through the console! If you want to chat with your friends after paying for the service, you'll have to use a smartphone app connected to your Switch. Messaging is only included in the paid online as well. And the free game they give you every month is only an NES or SNES game and they revoke the license at the end of each month. Not that we're all owed free games or anything, but these are 20+ year old games we're talking about while the competition gives out multiple recent AAA games to keep per year. That's just insane.

I wanted and still want to play the new Zelda. The Mario game really caught my eye and I'm interested in seeing more of it. Nintendo always has superior first-party games and I don't really foresee having problems with them in the future. My thorn lies directly with the console itself. I agree with you and I think that the idea behind the switch is innovative and something I am certainly interested in, but the execution does not live up to expectation for me personally. I just think there are more misses than bullseyes. I hope to be wrong, though.

Edited by backpackoat

48 minutes ago, backpackoat said:

I definitely hear you, but my problem isn't with the price point itself, it's what I'm getting for the price. I used to be a believer in the "graphics don't matter, it's the gameplay that matters" mantra, and while I still believe that gameplay is paramount, it only goes so far while everything else in the world progresses and moves forward. We are in 2017 and I just can't see the long term benefit of the Switch having an entire console cycle (let's just say the next five years for the sake of argument) start off already two three years behind the competition while being severely underpowered in comparison. This will become even more prominent in the waning years of the cycle when I'm playing some Switch games at 30fps/720p on a 32gig system (albeit expandable) in 2022. 

Not to mention, required pay-to-play online service--and it's not even done through the console! If you want to chat with your friends after paying for the service, you'll have to use a smartphone app connected to your Switch. Messaging is only included in the paid online as well. And the free game they give you every month is only an NES or SNES game and they revoke the license at the end of each month. Not that we're all owed free games or anything, but these are 20+ year old games we're talking about while the competition gives out multiple recent AAA games to keep per year. That's just insane.

I wanted and still want to play the new Zelda. The Mario game really caught my eye and I'm interested in seeing more of it. Nintendo always has superior first-party games and I don't really foresee having problems with them in the future. My thorn lies directly with the console itself. I agree with you and I think that the idea behind the switch is innovative and something I am certainly interested in, but the execution does not live up to expectation for me personally. I just think there are more misses than bullseyes. I hope to be wrong, though.

Definitely a good point about the life cycle. Nintendo haven't given a shit about that in awhile, but they haven't given a shit about graphics or performance either. My interest lies in the console and the first party legacy titles. I would enjoy virtual console stuff, but I don't care to play anything online on a Nintendo system. 

Edit: Switch preordered. Super thankful for Amazon's charge when it ships policy :)

Edited by throughbeingcruel

I pre-ordered a Switch from Best Buy last night (hoping I can get one from Amazon instead and cancel the first order). I'm not gonna lie, that press conference was pretty goofy and they could've done a much better job via a Nintendo Direct instead. I also wish they would've touted this more as a handheld console opposed to a full blown home console, it won't hold a candle to the XB1 or PS4 but will still have it's place in my home, especially since I have two kids who love their DSs and this will be replacing those in the market.

Hell, I might even need to buy another later on so they don't fight over it.