What video games have you been playing?

On 3/13/2017 at 7:49 AM, HybridxReality said:

I haven't finished it, but I agree. The story is very strong, but the gameplay is repetitive for the most part. To the point that I haven't brought myself to finish it because of it.

Walk, area with enemies, sneaky beaky mode, knock out enemies, walk further, knock out more enemies, cutscene, repeat.

I mean... aren't all games repetitive in terms of gameplay? Mario bros is run left or right and jump. Sometimes you can fly left or right. Racing games are just gassing and breaking around tracks. Call of Duty is run, duck, shoot. I know some games have massive controls but the common game is repetitive in general.

13 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Still loosing more sleep than I should playing Zelda every night.

I've been playing a lot of Zelda, and it's great, but I'm not convinced it's worthy of all the massive universal praise it's getting. 

Don't get me wrong, it's good, but there are some elements which I'm not all too impressed with; weapons breaking every five minutes is just annoying, the lack of any real genuine dungeons (the divine beasts aren't real dungeons, let's face it), the mixture of voice acting and text (do one or the other, not both),  and the fact that you seem to more or less have every item you need within the first hour of playing. 

The weapon system is genius because it makes looting actually worthwhile. If they didn't be break you wouldn't try out as many different weapons and the feedback loop of finding new weapons would be less rewarding. I like the mix of text and voice acting for the bigger parts. If it was all voice acting then I guarantee that the writing and interactions would have taken a nosedive due to time contstraints (see: fallout 4). I agree with the dungeons and I hope in the next game we get a smaller world (still open world) and more dungeons to balance it out but otherwise I think it's the best open world game I've played in a lonnnng time

On 3/15/2017 at 10:04 AM, videogamesandvinyl said:

I mean... aren't all games repetitive in terms of gameplay? Mario bros is run left or right and jump. Sometimes you can fly left or right. Racing games are just gassing and breaking around tracks. Call of Duty is run, duck, shoot. I know some games have massive controls but the common game is repetitive in general.

Of course. The only thing that really sets apart Call of Duty from its previous titles are different weapons/abilities and maps, which is why I'm not a fan personally. But the combat in TLOU lacks for me. You have basic weapons and not a whole lot else. The occasional boss battle is entertaining (can't remember what name it has), but the rest of the combat feels slow and dull. Super Mario may only be left/right and jump, but getting to the finish line often feels like a challenge bundled with a few abilities along the way; the only challenge in TLOU is quietly taking out enemies.

I guess a rebuttal could be Dishonored, but combat in that game is fun to me.

Edited by HybridxReality

I very much enjoyed the Uncharted series though. Uncharted 4 was outstanding in my book, with all of the chase scenes and story line. Had me on edge the whole ride.

Really looking forward to trying out Horizon: Zero Dawn. Might try and pick it up soon as I don't want the story spoiled for me.

Edited by HybridxReality

16 hours ago, HybridxReality said:

Of course. The only thing that really sets apart Call of Duty from its previous titles are different weapons/abilities and maps, which is why I'm not a fan personally. But the combat in TLOU lacks for me. You have basic weapons and not a whole lot else. The occasional boss battle is entertaining (can't remember what name it has), but the rest of the combat feels slow and dull. Super Mario may only be left/right and jump, but getting to the finish line often feels like a challenge bundled with a few abilities along the way; the only challenge in TLOU is quietly taking out enemies.

I guess a rebuttal could be Dishonored, but combat in that game is fun to me.

Dishonored is fun as fuuuuck. I always do my first playthrough of games that are stealth oriented as stealthily and non-lethal as possible, then a run just murdering everything.

On 3/17/2017 at 5:59 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Dishonored is fun as fuuuuck. I always do my first playthrough of games that are stealth oriented as stealthily and non-lethal as possible, then a run just murdering everything.

Same here! There's a trophy I'm trying to get where you only do non-lethal takedowns throughout the whole campaign. I was getting far, but lost all of my progress when I bought a new hard drive. Couldn't swap over the saves since I don't have an external hard drive. 

Didn't hear if Dishonored 2 is good or not, but it's fun to find different ways to take out enemies.

Edited by HybridxReality

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to share this on here as I thought it might make a few people chuckle. A friend I've known since school is doing a tattoo apprenticeship at the moment, and I promised him we'd do something fun once he's ready. I got this done about a week ago, the photo was obviously taken just after we finished and is a bit swollen etc...

I'm currently working through Dark Cloud, Until Dawn, Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition, and the entire Kingdom Hearts franchise that just got released on PS4. And of course I'm still on Breath of the Wild but I mainly play that when my girl is using the TV 

Oh, and if anyone is into Lego games but hasn't checked out Lego Worlds, DO IT!!! It's like No Man's Sky but it doesn't suck. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

Received my "crowdfunded" copy of Yooka-Laylee last week. Definitely owns up to it's "Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor" title.  Also, saw the leaked Star Wars Battlefront 2 trailer and my inner nerd is going crazy! Can't wait for more details and it's release later this year!

2 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Oh, and if anyone is into Lego games but hasn't checked out Lego Worlds, DO IT!!! It's like No Man's Sky but it doesn't suck. 

Xbox is having a huge Spring Sale... this was on the list and it has peaked my interest since it's PC alpha.

And speaking of sales, Elder Scrolls Online is like $10 on the X1... anyone interested in that?

tumblr_onfwnofHEF1w09efio1_500.gif

18 minutes ago, No This Is Patrick said:

Received my "crowdfunded" copy of Yooka-Laylee last week. Definitely owns up to it's "Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor" title.  Also, saw the leaked Star Wars Battlefront 2 trailer and my inner nerd is going crazy! Can't wait for more details and it's release later this year!

Xbox is having a huge Spring Sale... this was on the list and it has peaked my interest since it's PC alpha.

And speaking of sales, Elder Scrolls Online is like $10 on the X1... anyone interested in that?

tumblr_onfwnofHEF1w09efio1_500.gif

I got Lego Worlds from Best Buy for like $16, but I'm a gamers club member. I think it's $20 at GameStop if you'd rather have a physical copy.