What video games have you been playing?

13 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

Thanks for the tips! I need more to play on my Switch. BotW lost my attention after the 50 hour mark so now all I have been playing is Binding of Isaac. I totally understand how you feel about Persona. I am at the third palace I think (30ish hours in) and lost a lot of interest after dealing with the time management mechanics. It is an absolutely beautiful work of art and I love the story but I don't enjoy the anxiety of managing time. 

I don't feel like I am part of the demographic for Horizon at all but I still want to check it out to see what the fuss is about. I've heard the platinum is very easy to get so maybe that is indicative of how streamilined it is. I'm kind of in the mood to look at some really pretty visuals right now so maybe I'll borrow it from a friend soon. 

I played the Nier demo and it felt kind of off. Maybe I'm used to Dark Souls and other games with more weight to your swings but Nier reminded me a lot more of God of War style hack and slashes. I'm sure that was intended and I will just have to be in that mindset if I play it. It seems like the multiple playthrough thing is pretty polarizing and personally not the kind of thing I would enjoy. 

For sure. Balancing between MK8 and BotW and Disgaea on Switch has been a really nice balance of different game types.

Persona is extremely great, cool visuals, I loved Persona Q, I love the SMT series... but the time management/relationship stuff is too much for me. I have a hard enough time managing the time in my own life, I don't need to manage another person's whole life. I really enjoyed the dungeons but the dependency of stats on time mgmt and stuff is too annoying, and the time between dungeons and other mechanics that force you to leave liek calling cards etc. killed my enthusiasm.

horizon is great for visuals. I was in love with it for my first 10 hours. It's just after that there is no real progression. I finished the Hunting Lodge challenges, which result in the strongest weapons in the game in 2 days. I went from 100% basic starting gear to 100% end game best weapons in the game. Progression is not the focus of that game. And progression is what drives me in most games.

Nier IS weird. 100% and it tries to be. It feels weird, the story is weird, the people that play it are weird. Most people play it I'm pretty sure to blow the main robots dress off and or look up her skirt. The story is interesting, its fun, but like I said it's the subsequent playthroughs that are not different enough.

you swap to the other main character and play it from his POV

(super minor spoiler.) And it's 95% the same exact story as playthrough 1. It got old. I think Play 3 is the good one.. but I just lost interest before then.

46 minutes ago, mesi said:

Has there been any must have game on PS4 thus far in 2017? Not really, right? 

Horizon is pretty good if you dig Farcry and the like, but it's pretty shallow as mentioned by rooks. Still fun for sure, but it's not the system seller people make it out to be.

I know it's not a new game, but the Crash Bandicoot remakes have me so excited. I even bought a PlayStation mainly for them (obviously I got other games to consume time until it releases). I played Crash 3 regularly for like 13 years (until I no longer had a system to play it on), so I'll get like a billion hours out of the remasters. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Horizon is pretty good if you dig Farcry and the like, but it's pretty shallow as mentioned by rooks. Still fun for sure, but it's not the system seller people make it out to be.

I know it's not a new game, but the Crash Bandicoot remakes have me so excited. I even bought a PlayStation mainly for them (obviously I got other games to consume time until it releases). I played Crash 3 regularly for like 13 years (until I no longer had a system to play it on), so I'll get like a billion hours out of the remasters. 

Thanks for your reply! I remember playing Crash Bandicoot some 20 years ago, but unfortunately I can hardly get excited about that remake.

22 hours ago, Battra said:

I'm still playing Lunar Silver Star Complete on PSX....

I'm 10 hours in, give or take, and I've still not assembled my entire party.

I miss long, long RPGs like this.

I really should get on the Monster Hunter 3U servers though before it goes out.

Are you playing it on a PS3 or do you have an old tube TV to play a PSX on? I don't think my TV even supports that low of resolution. 

Been thinking about grabbing a game in the $10-20 range to hold me over for a month or so (currently saving up for a Tele). I was thinking Dishonored. I know Dark Souls 2 is on sale for fairly cheap right now, but since I've pretty much only played DS3 for the last year, I was thinking of mixing it up. Any hidden gems out there, or games that flew by my radar that you guys can suggest?

15 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Been thinking about grabbing a game in the $10-20 range to hold me over for a month or so (currently saving up for a Tele). I was thinking Dishonored. I know Dark Souls 2 is on sale for fairly cheap right now, but since I've pretty much only played DS3 for the last year, I was thinking of mixing it up. Any hidden gems out there, or games that flew by my radar that you guys can suggest?

The Binding of Isaac. Base game is like $15 and the DLC is $11. The DLC mechanics are just implemented into the main game. 

32 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Doom is down around $20 now used, but I agree with @throughbeingcruel, Binding of Isaac is fun  as fuck and since the dungeon is randomly generated every game, replay value is through the roof.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

40 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Doom is down around $20 now used, but I agree with @throughbeingcruel, Binding of Isaac is fun  as fuck and since the dungeon is randomly generated every game, replay value is through the roof.

It's insane, man. I'll play it for hours. 

Didn't know Doom was that cheap. I bought it at launch and loved every second of it. Replay value isn't much if you don't go for difficulty/collectible shit. 

40 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

It's insane, man. I'll play it for hours. 

Didn't know Doom was that cheap. I bought it at launch and loved every second of it. Replay value isn't much if you don't go for difficulty/collectible shit. 

I'll probably pick Doom up soon for a rainy weekend, Binding of Isaac kept me busy for months though. So fun just to pick up and do a run.

49 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I'll probably pick Doom up soon for a rainy weekend, Binding of Isaac kept me busy for months though. So fun just to pick up and do a run.

Agreed. I got it on Xbox One and Switch. I play the Xbox version at home when I can't decide on a game to play, and I play the Switch at work during downtime.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

i really enjoyed DOOM. had never played any of the prior games and ended up getting the platinum. i haven't touched it since, but i figure i'll give it another playthrough at some point. that ultra nightmare difficulty is absolutely insane. 

On 5/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Totally get wanting to mix it up - but just in case, DS2 remaster is actually really great on PS4. DS2 was pretty garbage ass when it first came out, but the remaster edition is the "remix" version with new enemy placements and other changes/enhancements - plus it has all 3 DLCs which, while definitely not my favorite DLCs, actually offer some of the toughest challenges in the series.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I probably wouldn't have recommended DS2 to anyone during its first year of existence. It was good but also not good at all and a let down after the high of DS1. But, in retrospect and after they've done some tweaking and made changes to enemy locations it's a MUCH better game than it was when it came out. 

It's also the BEST Dark Souls/Bloodborne game out of all of them in regards to weapon variety. There are SO MANY weapons, movesets, dualwielding options... it's the best DS by far for fashion souls/weapon mix and matching. By a large margin.

25 minutes ago, rooks said:

Totally get wanting to mix it up - but just in case, DS2 remaster is actually really great on PS4. DS2 was pretty garbage ass when it first came out, but the remaster edition is the "remix" version with new enemy placements and other changes/enhancements - plus it has all 3 DLCs which, while definitely not my favorite DLCs, actually offer some of the toughest challenges in the series.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I probably wouldn't have recommended DS2 to anyone during its first year of existence. It was good but also not good at all and a let down after the high of DS1. But, in retrospect and after they've done some tweaking and made changes to enemy locations it's a MUCH better game than it was when it came out. 

It's also the BEST Dark Souls/Bloodborne game out of all of them in regards to weapon variety. There are SO MANY weapons, movesets, dualwielding options... it's the best DS by far for fashion souls/weapon mix and matching. By a large margin.

I've honestly been wanting to buy it since I first completed DS3. I've been holding off, and holding off cause I just kept going back to DS3. I'd run a new build, a DLC would come out, run another build, see how many NG+s I could get in (currently on NG+9 on one, and NG+2-5 on a few others), would wait for the last DLC, play the last DLC on multiple characters, etc. etc. (even though I still want to keep playing it, and plan on it). I've just been waiting for DS2 to hit a flash sale or something to finally grab it, not that it's not worth $20 by any means. But, man, $13.99 is a steal. Between that and your push to get it, DS is once again going to take over my life. Haha. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

The sale ended at 11am, so you replied at the perfect time. Got it within a minute or two before it went back up to $39.99 (even if it is $19.99 on Amazon).

26 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I've honestly been wanting to buy it since I first completed DS3. I've been holding off, and holding off cause I just kept going back to DS3. I'd run a new build, a DLC would come out, run another build, see how many NG+s I could get in (currently on NG+9 on one, and NG+2-5 on a few others), would wait for the last DLC, play the last DLC on multiple characters, etc. etc. (even though I still want to keep playing it, and plan on it). I've just been waiting for DS2 to hit a flash sale or something to finally grab it, not that it's not worth $20 by any means. But, man, $13.99 is a steal. Between that and your push to get it, DS is once again going to take over my life. Haha. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

The sale ended at 11am, so you replied at the perfect time. Got it within a minute or two before it went back up to $39.99 (even if it is $19.99 on Amazon).

Nice! It's DEFINITELY worth 13.99, for sure. Not saying you've got to play it ASAP - it's not going anywhere. But, DS2 has gotten a lot of bad flak - and I've talked shit on it too - but the Remaster DS2 is actually a good Dark Souls game. A little bit of its essence is missing in that the level design doesn't really make you go "oh shit" that much, but, yeah. It's my favorite of the series to go back to and just hop into a new build. Dualwielding and power stancing weapons is awesome, and the weapon variety is unrivaled in the series. Worth a play - and the time to grind some of the cooler gear.

Also abundant re-roll items (forget what theyre called off the top of my head) make it reallllllllly nice in that you can change your build whenever you want in late game. Tired of your giant sword/axe strength build? Re-roll and put all your shit in dex and run with katanas and shit for a while. It's a much more time-forgiving game than the others just because it allows you to switch your levels up fairly easily/often and really get into more builds/weapon types.

Edited by rooks

On 5/27/2017 at 2:10 PM, throughbeingcruel said:

Are you playing it on a PS3 or do you have an old tube TV to play a PSX on? I don't think my TV even supports that low of resolution. 

I'm playing it on my PS2 Slimline.

I've got a CRT TV upstairs in the sitting room for video games....so, I drank beer, played Lunar, and listened to records pretty much all weekend.

@rooks - put in a few hours into DS2. It's weird cause it's so different from DS3 in ways, and so similar in others. I'll be able to really start diving in come tomorrow after work, and on Sunday, but I'm loving it so far. I'm seeing how far I can get without using an effigies as I don't know how scarce they are yet, but that's oddly fun. I just beat the Pursuer, and am having a blast. Can't wait to learn more lore, etc. etc. 

15 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

@rooks - put in a few hours into DS2. It's weird cause it's so different from DS3 in ways, and so similar in others. I'll be able to really start diving in come tomorrow after work, and on Sunday, but I'm loving it so far. I'm seeing how far I can get without using an effigies as I don't know how scarce they are yet, but that's oddly fun. I just beat the Pursuer, and am having a blast. Can't wait to learn more lore, etc. etc. 

Yah for sure it's wayyy clunkier than ds3. Ds3 is more like Bloodborne, it's a lot closer to ds1 than ds3 -minus the map design which is a lot of why people didn't take to it very well out of the gates. Fast travelling instantly was like... Not a very accepted thing in the DS community at the time haha. Just wait til you start getting really cool weapons, and take advantage of dual wielding and powerstancing even though it means no shield. It's a lot of fun and opens up a lot of cool options. There's a reason I play DS with no shield, and it's Artorias... But it came in handy in ds2 because of all the cool options.

5 hours ago, rooks said:

Yah for sure it's wayyy clunkier than ds3. Ds3 is more like Bloodborne, it's a lot closer to ds1 than ds3 -minus the map design which is a lot of why people didn't take to it very well out of the gates. Fast travelling instantly was like... Not a very accepted thing in the DS community at the time haha. Just wait til you start getting really cool weapons, and take advantage of dual wielding and powerstancing even though it means no shield. It's a lot of fun and opens up a lot of cool options. There's a reason I play DS with no shield, and it's Artorias... But it came in handy in ds2 because of all the cool options.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to dual wielding swords, and discovering all the new weapons. It's definitely clunkier, like trying to sprint, trying to roll, and drinking estus takes a while. I feel like I'll get used to them eventually, but dang. The one big complaint is not being able to compare gear to what you currently have equipped. Oh well. I'll memorize everything eventually.

And check out this sweet print my buddy gave me:

VHnASTp.jpg

Edited by Dave Grohl

@rooks I think I might be more addicted to DS2 than I was when I first started DS3. I have that kid feeling again when I'm excited to race home, boot up the ps4, and start grinding! I'm not sure if that has to due with the fact I have 500 hours under my belt now so it's making it easier, or if it's going backwards in the series, or having it be a little different mechanics wise compared to DS3, or a combination or everything. But I love the differences, yet it still being a Souls game. Obviously there wasn't going to be a huge different, it's the prequel to 3, but the changes are nice. I thought the human effigy thing was going to be a controller smasher, but I have plenty, and rarely use them. I mostly save them for when I want to summon (towards trophies). I'm doing a strength pyro build, so I have some casting. I did that cause I heard casting is OP in it still, and I didn't want to make it too easy. Not having a mana bar is a little odd, but I'm getting used to it. I'm doing a run through with a Fire Longsword, and a Great Sword when I need a little more oomph. Haha. Man, I just can't get enough of it. I think it's finally getting to play older DS when I've seen so much footage of it over the last year or so, and bits here and there before DS3. The bosses though, god damn they are easy, and holy shit there are so many. I think like 38 or so. Funny thing there are areas that are harder getting to the boss door than the actual boss, like in Iron Keep, and the Undead Chariot. But yeah, I'm having a blast, man!

PaXm6Sb.gif

Edited by Dave Grohl