more copies of the splatter loved ones EP found...

j4m35

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how closesly any of you looked, but the box they 'found' was a return from a distributor.

A similar return (totally like $40,000 worth of merchandise) nearly killed Suburban Home about 4 years ago. Seems like Virgil is doing really well now, which is pretty inspiring if you ask me.

How could a distributor return records that sell for 3 times face value on ebay? Somethings not adding up.

As for the Suburban Home part, I'm not sure how the relationship between a label and a distributor works, but there's something screwed up if that can happen. It seems like the label would keep producing, thinking things were selling. The distributor keeps taking stuff, but not selling. Then the distributor returns everything and the label takes the hit.

Am I understanding this right?

How could a distributor return records that sell for 3 times face value on ebay? Somethings not adding up.

It doesn't necessarily work like that. The distributor is in the business of selling these things in a retail store or in an online retail store. I doubt they sit around looking up the stuff they have in their inventory to see if it will sell for more on ebay.

I don't really see how anybody can call shenanigans on this one. They found a small box of these records and put them up for sale. If they were trying to sell them at a higher price I can understand thinking they were intentionally set aside or something like that, but they're selling them at the normal price. Just take it for what it is.

It doesn't necessarily work like that. The distributor is in the business of selling these things in a retail store or in an online retail store. I doubt they sit around looking up the stuff they have in their inventory to see if it will sell for more on ebay.

I don't really see how anybody can call shenanigans on this one. They found a small box of these records and put them up for sale. If they were trying to sell them at a higher price I can understand thinking they were intentionally set aside or something like that, but they're selling them at the normal price. Just take it for what it is.

I wasn't calling shenanigans, although I can see how my statement could have been taken that way. I was very please they did this.

I didn't mean that the distributor could have sold the stuff on ebay. What I meant was that clearly there was demand for the record. If not, the price wouldn't be as high as it is. It doesn't make sense that someone wouldn't be able to sell these in a store, when they sell for a premium on ebay. The demand is there, so clearly the distributor is not doing a good enough job of letting the customers know that the product is available.

I don't know how closesly any of you looked, but the box they 'found' was a return from a distributor.

A similar return (totally like $40,000 worth of merchandise) nearly killed Suburban Home about 4 years ago. Seems like Virgil is doing really well now, which is pretty inspiring if you ask me.

i remember that. i ordered like $55 in stuff and got about a 10 pound package of cd's, magazines, posters, pins, stickers, and a SHR hat. virgil included a note with all the orders too thanking everyone for the help. that'd how i first found the site.

As for the Suburban Home part, I'm not sure how the relationship between a label and a distributor works, but there's something screwed up if that can happen. It seems like the label would keep producing, thinking things were selling. The distributor keeps taking stuff, but not selling. Then the distributor returns everything and the label takes the hit.

Am I understanding this right?

Kyle, I went to Chunksaah's site and "clicked to enter". The first thing on the page was the form to order the album, saying they received it as a return. Obviously it's gone now.

As to how the distributor could return an album that is sold out and sought after, that's a matter of how the system works. It's the same way in which it happened to Suburban Home.

Say you have a pretty big indie label with a few bands that have sold 10,000 records each. A distributor's job is to get albums in stores - to facilitate the relationship between labels and retailers. It's kind of like a consignment, with the distributor acting as your agent. You work with them and they work with the store on promotions, on carrying the products, whatever.

You send a shitload of boxes of your newest release, The Grundies' Zebra Ass, expecting it to do at least 12,000. You're pretty confident, so you do the works - point of sale posters, talking cardboard cutouts, whatever. You spend an assload, and you sell your albums to the distributor at a standard 50% of retail, fully expecting that due to the nature of the business, even if it sells out within a month, you're not going to see a dime for half a year. They get it into a bunch of retailers and indie stores.

For WHATEVER reason, the album flops. You've already dumped an assload into this venture, and the retailers gave you shelf space, but the stuff isn't moving. They send it back to the distributor, and because it's not selling ANYWHERE, they send it back to you. Unless something changes and it picks up speed, months after dumping a ton of money into sending the record out, you not only aren't going to recoup from sales, you owe 100% of the money the distributor spent BACK to them.

This is an ultra-simplified version of what happened. In the worst case, such as Virgil's, he wasn't expecting to get a bunch of difficult-to-move stuff dumped back in his lap, with a distributor that probably wanted ALL of their money back. The best-case scenario is what happened to Chunksaah. For WHATEVER reason, they didn't find a place for those Loved Ones EPs, sent them back, and the label is doing okay because they sold like hotfuckincakes through the website, bills paid.

You also have to remember that while it's important for distributors to be hip to what exactly is happening, they're also mostly volume dealers, and sometimes shit slips past their radar underneath more pressing concerns.

On the plus, this same system of highly coveted items lurking in distributor limbo has helped me score some pretty cool OOP shit through my local indie store, most recently an original print of the Decemberists The Tain EP.

hello...first time posting. the person that started this thread told me that it was through this site that so many people found out about the loved ones vinyl so quickly so i figured i'd come by and check it out and saw this thread and figured i'd respond...

on occasion i look up our releases on ebay and it's a little disturbing to see things advertised as being "out of print" when i look at our storage room and see heaps of releases supposedly "out of print". the loved ones splatter is not neccesarily out of print...it's just been out of stock on our end. there is nothing to keep us from repressing the colored/splattered version except that we have plenty in black left and there is no need for a repress. i see a lot of bouncing souls chunksaah 7"s on ebay that are "out of print"...they are not (except for johnny x).

i'm not even sure if the splattered version is that much more rare than the black. i don't remember the pressing info but we probably did 500 color and 500 black...maybe 500 color and 1000 black. we don't really push the stuff in stores as being colored. if 500 are going to the distributor i usually just throw in 100 color in the hopes that they will spread out and someone will get stoked when they get home from the store. at least that's what was done with the newest world/inferno and also the off with their heads / measure split.

as far as "finding a box"...i dunno why lumberjack/mordam didn't sell the colored version first but a couple weeks ago they returned a whole lot of stuff to us which sucks that they didn't sell in the first place and now we need to find a way to store all this stuff (we only saved the vinyl...cds went to the dump). since a lot of people ask about them (and since we're broke as fuck) i decided to put them up for sale and sold out in a little over 4 hours (it wasn't that many copies in the first place but enough to bother putting online). i didn't even get to send out an email to lure people to our site to see the other stuff we sell...oh well...i'm def not complaining and i thank all of you on here that ordered a copy(s)...in hindsight i almost wish that i had been devious and just put them on ebay or sold them at a higher price. but no...no tricks...just some needed sales.

so thats whats up...straight from the source. i'll have to check out this board more often and maybe we can all talk shit. thanks again if you picked up a copy of the loved ones splatter and sorry if you missed out...who knows...maybe there's another box hidden under a case of mighty mighty bosstones / madcap splits or j church / plungers splits or something.

by the way...we have a split 7" sale at www.chunksaah.com and also a pretty cd sale as well, both will be ending soon, so if you haven't done so already come take a look.

word!

- zak / chunksaah records

FUCJK!! olnqaff/

How in the holy fuck did I miss this?!! FUZKCNFD

I'm seriously seriously, seriously fucking infuriated. What the fuck happened to a week or two? And what was that bullshit about their mailing list? I joined that fucking garbage and didn't get shit.

Fuck this crap. God damn it fuck it all. At least maybe they'll drop a few bucks on ebay now that they're in the hands of 50 people waiting to fucking flip em.