how do you store your records

Guest falloutcollapse

this might be a really dumb question, but since i'm new to this i hope to get some leeway. with those plastic sleeves, do they go over the record itself, or the whole package? do i need two of them per record? if someone has a picture on how to do it or something, i'd really appreciate it, because i am a dumbass.

Guest falloutcollapse

alright, but some say that i should take the actual record out and put it behind the cardboard sleeve. should i leave the record in the paper sleeve?

Angryyoungandpoor.com sells LP bags for $.18 -- I just got 50 in the mail today and will be buying plenty more in the future. And to answer the above question, you just slide them over the LP sleeve -- it's just like a comic book bag or something. I'm leaving the LP inside the LP sleeve, but some people take them out and put them behind the sleeve.

I recently got the expedit from IKEA to replace my cinder block/wood plank shelves because my collection out grew it(now used for my books) back on subject, I'm really happy with the expedit. My friend doesnt like shelves though, he bought some record bins(the big ones like in record stores) because he likes being able to flip through his collection when deciding what to listen too.

yeah, Ikea's Expedit is great. my only problem with it is that my walls have a little guard at the bottom, so the shelf doesn't go flush against my wall. there's some room inbetween, but it's not more than half an inch. i also made it a point to store them downstairs in the den (the coolest room in my house), since I'm not gonna be around to take care of them while I'm in school.

I also have a few framed and put on my walls. My room is a mess right now, but once I move out I'm going to try to decorate a room w/ just album covers. Try to make it look very nice and not too cluttered.

Sometimes I frame a record because I like it a lot, other times its the album cover.

I haven't changed them in a while, but the four I have up right now are

The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America

Matt Pond PA - Emblems

Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose

None More Black - File Under Black

I need to go buy more frames, but every time I think about doing that I'm like "Hmm, I could just buy another record instead..."

is putting records in frames and hanging them okay for the actual record? for some reason i feel like this might do the vinyl harm. do you take the vinyl out of the sleeve and just hang the sleeve? maybe im crazy. i also wouldnt want the cover to fade from any sunlight that might hit it. what are everyone else's thoughts?

Guest scriptedrain

That's awesome how you got all 3 to sign where they are on the cover. I'm sure it's standard practice for them, but I had never seen it before or thought of that.

- Jeff