gin blossoms new miserable experience

On 3/10/2017 at 6:49 PM, GradedOnACurve said:

Got my Brown SRC copy today. Long wait but finally here. I forgot if this was supposed to be 180 Gram but even without weighing it on my postage scale it is most certainly not.

It is 180 gram but Erika Records decides when they press each title if its 160-180 depending on the press/weather/stamper/press operator/color vinyl pellets used etc. They Range from 168 and 174 gram when i did a quick test.

10 minutes ago, danny said:

It is 180 gram but Erika Records decides when they press each title if its 160-180 depending on the press/weather/stamper/press operator/color vinyl pellets used etc. They Range from 168 and 174 gram when i did a quick test.

lol. "It is 180 gram, but also it is not 180 gram."

1 hour ago, danny said:

Its not a big deal either way. I would say that a lot of records not listed as 180 grams could weigh between 140-180 depending on those same reasons. Some plants manage to press >180 Gram records when they advertise its 180 Gram. Doesn't affect the sound quality but some people might find a reason to write a picthforked e-mail.

2 hours ago, neo_styles said:

Jesus, what a bummer. Weird, too, considering I was 5/5 of what I just got through them on the "make it safely" scale. Good luck trying to get a hold of them to get things corrected

Yeah, I know.  I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with them to be honest.  I will definitely think twice before I purchase anything from them again though.  But...it happens even with the best pressed records.  Still, it is playable, but it's  far from perfectly flat and will be noticable anytime I decide to give it a spin.  Really disappointing.   

12 minutes ago, bungie said:

Yeah, I know.  I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with them to be honest.  I will definitely think twice before I purchase anything from them again though.  But...it happens even with the best pressed records.  Still, it is playable, but it's  far from perfectly flat and will be noticable anytime I decide to give it a spin.  Really disappointing.   

For records like that, I find that I have pretty good luck just putting them into a tighter-packed section of the collection and forgetting about it for a while. I put my records in MoFi-style sleeves between the LP jacket and an outer sleeve, though, to mitigate the possibility of any seamsplits. Might work for you.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:06 AM, neo_styles said:

It's ironic I see so much vitriol about SRC, even if it might be well-deserved. Had literally no issue with my last order from them. Shipped 4 days ago (within 2 days of ordering) and I'll most likely be getting my 5 records either tomorrow or Wednesday. I lurked long enough to learn that buying anything on their store that they didn't press would be a major mistake.

To be honest.   My copies had a slight warp, but nothing that affects play.   That said the double-45rpm thing does sound incredible.   And it seems like they got A&M's attention and that's why we get another version plus Congratulations I'm Sorry.   I'll take it.  No regrets.

Furthermore SRC took a chance on pressing Far's records as well as Say Hello to Sunshine.   Also Hum's Astronaut and Silverchair's first two albums were crazy expensive, so kudos for making that happen.   And doing their diligence for remastering/remixing for vinyl, which in my eyes is the whole point of a vinyl release.

1 hour ago, firefoxussr said:

To be honest.   My copies had a slight warp, but nothing that affects play.   That said the double-45rpm thing does sound incredible.   And it seems like they got A&M's attention and that's why we get another version plus Congratulations I'm Sorry.   I'll take it.  No regrets.

Furthermore SRC took a chance on pressing Far's records as well as Say Hello to Sunshine.   Also Hum's Astronaut and Silverchair's first two albums were crazy expensive, so kudos for making that happen.   And doing their diligence for remastering/remixing for vinyl, which in my eyes is the whole point of a vinyl release.

Is this some type of SRC praise ?! You better be careful man, some around here don't like your kind! :)

8 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

Getting a SRC copy of Say Hello from someone on Discogs was the whole reason I got into the label. Luckily the local shop gets enough from them, so I really could just let them accept the risk if I didn't want to.

that being said, I ordered 5 records from them at once and they arrived immaculately packed. When 4/5 were $15-17, I really couldn't pass it up. Maybe I just got lucky.

On 3/13/2017 at 9:30 PM, bungie said:

I have dealt with their customer service twice over the course of the last month and they have been great.  Definitely reach out to them.   I know they had their issues in the past but, at least in my experience, that seems to have changed. 

6 hours ago, mpitts said:

I have dealt with their customer service twice over the course of the last month and they have been great.  Definitely reach out to them.   I know they had their issues in the past but, at least in my experience, that seems to have changed. 

Thanks.  That's encouraging.   I don't have my hopes up about getting a replacement for the rust brown, but I may at least give them a shot and see how it goes. 

21 minutes ago, Die Laughing said:

I apologize for my ignorance, but is this thread real or are all of you just awesome at sarcasm?

Sarcastic about SRC's quality customer service??

Or sarcastic about liking the first Gin Blossoms record?

If it's the latter... Dude, you're on a forum where the first page has people getting excited about new releases from New Found Glory and Panic At The Disco.

In 2017.

Edited by filthyrich
fix

• 3 weeks later...