computer nerds: help a fella out

Guest afsdan

Guest afsdan

I'm trying to download Dreamweaver cs4, and I have, but it's zipped. When I try to open it, it opens the Media Player program.

how the fuck do I unzip this thing? that's what I have to do, right?

I've tried right-clicking, but it doesn't give me that option.

any advice is appreciated in advance.

Guest naytoid

Do you have win-zip or winrar?

If not, download one

If so, right click the zipped file, and click "extract here"

That's what I do and It usually works

Guest afsdan
dude, if you cant figure out how to unzip files, how the fuck are you going to use Dreamweaver.......?

cuz I know how to use Dreamweaver. but I'm a little miffed about the unzip, cuz I thought my comp came with WinZip. boom.

• 3 years later...

NERDS AWAY!!

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    50
  BCP1:    FFFFF880762FE828
  BCP2:    0000000000000001
  BCP3:    FFFFFA80065722E6
  BCP4:    0000000000000005
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    768_1

if it helps...i can only use the computer functionally in safe mode.

tell me what this means, because IM LOSIN IT, MAN. IM LOSIN IT!

mainly, is this an easy fix - if it is, i'll let you take over my computer manually and then pay you via paypal if you can help me out.

I think this will be over most people's heads that post here. You need to find the dump file on the hard drive (every time your computer blue screens it creates this file) and subsequently have someone look at the dump file to find the reason for the blue screen. Even then it might not be 100% certain.

It's either caused by software or hardware. Have you installed any new programs lately/downloaded any from the Internet? Could be a virus. Added any new hardware or installed any drivers?

Unfortunately the actual blue screen itself doesn't really tell you anything, you need to find the dump file. There's a bunch of PC forums where you can upload the dump and have someone look at it for you.

Sorry I'm not more help but I'm at work and posting from a phone.

EDIT: seeing as how you can access the computer via safe mode I would guess its a software problem and not hardware. If you haven't installed/uninstalled/changed anything and it started out of nowhere it's likely a virus... Probably not what you wanted to hear, and I can't be certain, but that would be my educated guess

first thing was a virus scan, and that was clean.

tried to find a .dmp viewer so i could (try) and read the dump file but safe mode hates me.

windows did an update about 2 days ago, and when i try to delete that (so i can reinstall.) NOPE. because im in safe mode.

I scanned the RAM and that was clean.

this happened after i opened a program i've used to watch hockey, which has been fine since the season started. but last night, it just all went to shit.

as for new programs? nope. nuthin.

Yeah it sounds like a virus. Once it's in your computer a virus scan won't do anything for you. As I've recommended in the past on here, you should reinstall your operating system (I recommend once a year as preventative maintenance and to keep the registry clean). I never recommend virus removals as they aren't always successful and there's no way to be certain your registry won't stay infected. Some viruses just can't be removed as well and won't be found by scans. The whole point of a virus is to infect your system and stay there for good.

Is your PC name brand? Did you create recovery discs/ did your computer come with them? Reinstalling windows will get your computer running like new (but will also erase EVERYTHING on the hard drive)

I don't really know how to look at dumps.. I had to register on a forum (can't remember which, this was a couple years ago) and ask someone to do it for me. I wouldn't try to look at it on your own as you won't know what to be looking for.

first thing was a virus scan, and that was clean.

tried to find a .dmp viewer so i could (try) and read the dump file but safe mode hates me.

windows did an update about 2 days ago, and when i try to delete that (so i can reinstall.) NOPE. because im in safe mode.

I scanned the RAM and that was clean.

this happened after i opened a program i've used to watch hockey, which has been fine since the season started. but last night, it just all went to shit.

as for new programs? nope. nuthin.

We can try but as stated above when you get to the blue screen / dump file level you are talking about serious errors. Not something someone "good with computers" can probably fix...more like you need someone with a degree in computer science.

When you say you did a virus scan, did you do a deep scan or a quick one?

there really isnt much on here that i'd be butthurt with losing.

yeah, its a dell inspirion so it is brand name and not a built thing.

i've tinkered with my little sisters computer and got hers to do a factory reset from the control panel. she had a dell too with windows 7 - but for the love of fuck, i cant find that option for me, and i dont have a recovery disk.

edit : did a deep scan with microsoft security essentials.

You can just type the word restore into "search for files or folders" and do a system restore.

Assuming it's a virus, that may not remove it. The virus in burying into your computer probably screwed something up, which made the OS unbootable. Fixing the error might not remove the virus.

Reinstall the OS is the way to go. Your computer will have that fresh out of the box speed that it has before windows gets clogged down with every new program you install (which is a bonus).