Stupid eBay sellers...

kyle

Well, I won an auction for a record recently and I had three choices for shipping. One was $4.75 for USPS Parcel Post, the second was $7.75 for Priority, and the third was $20 for overnight. The seller was in Florida (and I'm in CA) so I opted for Priority, because I figured it was only a couple bucks difference and I wanted the record quickly. Well, I paid for the record and then waited... and waited... and waited. It finally arrived today, but imagine my annoyance when I realized that the seller decided to ship it via the very S L O W USPS Media Mail (which only cost $2.13).

The difference of $5 isn't that big of a deal, but goddammit when I opt for the faster shipping method because I want it quicker its really annoying to sit around and wait so long only to realize I overpaid for the slowest shipping method possible.

/rant

i didn't have this exact thing happen to me, but something similar. i won a very rare talking heads record for 2 dollars(!), and the guy charged me 10 dollars shipping. since i got the record for so cheap i didn't complain, and of course when it showed up the postage sticker said 2 dollars or something like that.

as a seller on e-bay, i can say thats def a low move on their part... unless it was an accident which of course is always possible. message them first and politely ask them to fix their mistake. if they ignore, then go the feedback route. plus, ebay now has the rating systems so you can just give them a 0 or a 1 for shipping while not giving negative feedback, etc.

Notify ebay, you can get your money back and that person's account banned.

Document everything. How did you pay? Paypal, let them know that you want to put a freeze on the payment and they'll take it out of his account while they make a decision.

I've done this before, it's illegal to make profit from shipping on eBay and they will get banned.

I can understand if a seller charges a dollar or 2 more for shipping and "handling" fees. I try to recycle as much packing material as possible , but from time to time I get decent mailers and those aren't free unfortunately. But paying for priority and having someone send media mail is horseshit

• 2 months later...

i do quite a lot of buying and selling on ebay. i calculate the shipping rate according to weight and add 10% to cover ebay and paypal fees. which tends to make my auctions quite cheap for post. i dont charge for packaging, coz i buy so many goddamn records that i always have loads of mailers lying around the place!

i've toyed with the idea of having a buy it now of like $1 and adding a large postal charge so ebay doesnt take all the fee money off me, but i know a lot of people hate that shit. i do too. it doesnt keep to the 'karma' of ebay. although with all the shop selllers on there now, i think that 'karma' has long gone. used to be you could pick up bargains, but they are few and far between now.

i wanna keep my 100% rating too...

this is where the power of feedback comes in

The problem being, the seller always holds the power because he can just leave retalitory feedback.

whenever i buy something on ebay i never leave feedback til the seller leaves it first. i feel its just fair since you pay first and everything they should leave it first since youve already held up your end of the bargain. then once the record gets to you and what not thats when you leave it depending on how they held up their end. some sellers dont like this but if they want feedback at all i think its more than fair.

The problem being, the seller always holds the power because he can just leave retalitory feedback.

whenever i buy something on ebay i never leave feedback til the seller leaves it first. i feel its just fair since you pay first and everything they should leave it first since youve already held up your end of the bargain. then once the record gets to you and what not thats when you leave it depending on how they held up their end. some sellers dont like this but if they want feedback at all i think its more than fair.

I do the exact same thing. I don't leave feedback until I know what I've gotten is exactly what I was suppose to get. I figure my time to leave feedback as a buyer is when I receive the item. As a seller I leave feedback when I receive payment.

I can understand if a seller charges a dollar or 2 more for shipping and "handling" fees. I try to recycle as much packing material as possible , but from time to time I get decent mailers and those aren't free unfortunately. But paying for priority and having someone send media mail is horseshit

Totally agree. I get a little annoyed when I know someone sends things media mail and charge $5 for shipping or something but I can understand it better. However, paying for a specific type of shipping and not getting that type is totally crap.

i do quite a lot of buying and selling on ebay. i calculate the shipping rate according to weight and add 10% to cover ebay and paypal fees. which tends to make my auctions quite cheap for post. i dont charge for packaging, coz i buy so many goddamn records that i always have loads of mailers lying around the place!

i've toyed with the idea of having a buy it now of like $1 and adding a large postal charge so ebay doesnt take all the fee money off me, but i know a lot of people hate that shit. i do too. it doesnt keep to the 'karma' of ebay. although with all the shop selllers on there now, i think that 'karma' has long gone. used to be you could pick up bargains, but they are few and far between now.

Those things are 'against the rules' on eBay. Overcharging for shipping to avoid fees/cover your fees.... I know everybody does it, but just be forewarned, don't get caught. I wouldn't even post here about doing it because if someone buys a record from you and sees this post you would be busted.

Those things are 'against the rules' on eBay. Overcharging for shipping to avoid fees/cover your fees.... I know everybody does it, but just be forewarned, don't get caught. I wouldn't even post here about doing it because if someone buys a record from you and sees this post you would be busted.

its pretty easy to see when someone isnt being legit on ebay. the cost of the postage is a dead giveaway when you receive your win! when i buy stuff, i tend to look at a few different listings of the same item to garner the kinda price people are charging for post, then i bid on the cheapest option!

i think thats why people buy my stuff - its usually one of the cheapest post rates.

personally, i'm losing my love affair with ebay. i think these boards are the way to go. giving like-minded people a chance to get some good tunes.

I hate the ebay police. you used to be able to sell anything on ebay. I am a diabetic and would always have a ton of left over supplies, so sometimes i used to pop em up on ebay and sell them to someone who usually didnt have insurance and couldnt really afford the stuff, and i would make a couple hundred bucks for about a grand worth of supplies. But since the supplies need a Rx if i list them and someone doesnt BIN right away it gets removed within a few hours. I miss the good ol days of unregulated Ebay! now i have a closet full of diabetic supplies that i dont need.