13/14 Premier League Football Discussion

I bet you've never been so happy to be wrong. What a great 3 points. Plus, they jumped Spurs in the table.

That was beautiful. Oh so beautiful. Now all we need to do is sign a big defensive midfielder, center back, and maybe a striker, and we're set to clinch a champions league spot. God I hope we get a top 4

Here's my end of season table prediction:

1. Chelsea

2. Man City

3. Arsenal

4. Man Utd

5. Spurs

6. Southampton

7. Liverpool

8. West Ham

9. Newcastle

10. Stoke

11. Everton

12. West Brom

13. Swansea

14. Crystal Palace

15. Sunderland

16. QPR

17. Burnley

18. Aston Villa

19. Leicester

20. Hull

1. Chelsea

2. Man City

3. Arsenal

4. Man Utd

5. Spurs

6. Southampton

7. West Ham

8. Newcastle

9. Stoke

10. Everton

11. Swansea

12. West Brom

13. Swansea

14. Crystal Palace

15. Sunderland

16. QPR

17. Burnley

18. Aston Villa

19. Leicester

20. Hull

you forgot the kop! I'm hoping they'll end up around a Euro league spot if Balotelli can start producing. Even as an Arsenal junkie I hated to see them miss out on the title last year by a slip and a comeback by Crystal Palace

I was so confident of humiliation today that i backed Aguero as my FF captain. So fucking glad i put a jinx on that.

Not gonna get too carried away, though. This is where we go on a run, finish fourth and start the cycle of frustration once more. Not signing who we need yet again, not coming higher than third, yet again. It will happen, i want nothing more than for Arsene Wenger to blow some serious cash on exactly what we need and wipe the floor with everyone in the league next year before fucking Jose Mourinho's wife and setting fire to his car.

There's a real danger of not even qualifying for CL this year. We seriously need a new CDM, CB and a world class striker. Varane from Real Madrid is unsettled but will probably sign for Chelsea being an ex Mourhino player. Definitely a new holding midfielder, Paul Pogba would be a dream signing, him or Lars Bender

1. Chelsea

2. Man City

3. Arsenal

4. Man Utd

5. Spurs

6. Southampton

7. Liverpool

8. West Ham

9. Newcastle

10. Stoke

11. Everton

12. West Brom

13. Swansea

14. Crystal Palace

15. Sunderland

16. QPR

17. Burnley

18. Aston Villa

19. Leicester

20. Hull

I think you're overestimating Newcastle here! I'm struggling to see where the next 4 wins to stay up are going to come from unless we get a new manager in soon.

There's a real danger of not even qualifying for CL this year. We seriously need a new CDM, CB and a world class striker. Varane from Real Madrid is unsettled but will probably sign for Chelsea being an ex Mourhino player. Definitely a new holding midfielder, Paul Pogba would be a dream signing, him or Lars Bender

I'm assuming you're speaking about Arsenal. I still think what is most urgent atm is another decent centerback, because the situation is rather bad if Koscielny or Mertersacker (Especially Koscielny) gets an injury. Chambers is a big talent I think, but he is not good enough to play CB yet and lol, monreal and debuchy is definitely not a good solution for CB either...It would also be nice to have a good back-up at CDM for sure, but I must say that coquelin definitely looks good atm (My MOM yesterday), imo he is the kinda CDM we have needed for so long, so if he can keep up his good play then I'm not feeling too bad about that position. I definitely don't think Pogba would be the solution, he is a gifted player for sure, but I don't think he would be the kinda CDM we need, since I can imagine he wouldn't be the best CDM when comes to covering the back four since he would proper be a bit too tempted to go with offense rather than staying back, maybe a bit like song was when he played for Arsenal.

Realistic speaking, then what are the chances for signing a super quality striker? I agree it would be nice with someone better than giroud, but who should it be then? It's like all those strikers that are better than him are getting swoop up by City, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca etc...those who can put more money into a deal than Arsenal.

Anyways, the game against city yesterday was just incredible. I don't think I've ever seen Arsenal play with such a good amount of discipline throughout the whole game. Cazorla, Bellerin, Kos and Coq were absolutely amazing.

I'm assuming you're speaking about Arsenal

Time will tell what Coquelin can do, but I agree, he looked solid at the base. I'm a little afraid his performances may dip with the pressure he'll be put under from now on, which is why I definitely think he should be allowed gameplay but only under an experienced and proved holding midfielder which Arsenal have needed. The reason I suggested Pogba is because he reminds me so much of Patrick Viera, but you're right in suggesting he may be tempted to play on the attack, cause why not, he's got a great foot. I hear they're chasing Hector Moreno for CB, which would be a solid addition. Up until he smashed his shin bone at the world cup he was looking unbeatable for Mexico.

Realistically speaking, Arsenal probably won't be able to attract a big name striker next year unless they improve the ladder half of the season by deservingly qualifying for the champions league & winning the F.A. cup again. Strikers are motived by several things, salaries (which AFC don't have), club status(we're no Barca or Real), a coach ( Guardiola or Mourhino attract big names because of their reputations. Wenger will always be respected but in the football world his light is diminishing) or a promising team, which is what Arsenal are. If Liverpool think they can get Benzema, then Arsenal have an even better chance. I hear Cavani is in the mix too, but he's been sketch his entire season at PSG. In the meantime, if Walcott regains confidence and physicality, why not play Sanchez up front with Ozil behind him, Cazorla on the left and Walcott on the right, with Wilshere out, its the best time to snag a proven CDM to play alongside Ramsey in the middle. 

Let's hope we can fuel this run of promising gameplay. Arsenal tend to lose focus, but this was a major victory

Time will tell what Coquelin can do, but I agree, he looked solid at the base. I'm a little afraid his performances may dip with the pressure he'll be put under from now on, which is why I definitely think he should be allowed gameplay but only under an experienced and proved holding midfielder which Arsenal have needed. The reason I suggested Pogba is because he reminds me so much of Patrick Viera, but you're right in suggesting he may be tempted to play on the attack, cause why not, he's got a great foot. I hear they're chasing Hector Moreno for CB, which would be a solid addition. Up until he smashed his shin bone at the world cup he was looking unbeatable for Mexico.

Realistically speaking, Arsenal probably won't be able to attract a big name striker next year unless they improve the ladder half of the season by deservingly qualifying for the champions league & winning the F.A. cup again. Strikers are motived by several things, salaries (which AFC don't have), club status(we're no Barca or Real), a coach ( Guardiola or Mourhino attract big names because of their reputations. Wenger will always be respected but in the football world his light is diminishing) or a promising team, which is what Arsenal are. If Liverpool think they can get Benzema, then Arsenal have an even better chance. I hear Cavani is in the mix too, but he's been sketch his entire season at PSG. In the meantime, if Walcott regains confidence and physicality, why not play Sanchez up front with Ozil behind him, Cazorla on the left and Walcott on the right, with Wilshere out, its the best time to snag a proven CDM to play alongside Ramsey in the middle. 

Let's hope we can fuel this run of promising gameplay. Arsenal tend to lose focus, but this was a major victory

I do agree on that another experienced CDM would be nice for sure, especially because it's becoming obvious that Arteta and Flamini are slowly becoming unfit for the position since they lack the speed that it does require. Pogba is a good player for sure, and he could play at any team, but I just doubt CDM would be right position for him in Arsenal, since Arsenal is such a super offensive-minded team. That's the reason why they really need a CDM who is super defensive-minded, but I definitely wouldn't mind adding Pogba to team though, he would bring something different and he is a top quality player who is still quite young...I kinda forgot we've just signed that 17 years old polish CDM xD...I actually haven't heard the rumors about Hector Moreno, I've heard that we are still trying to get william carvalho. Besides that I've heard we should be interested in Winston Reid (Would completely make sense, his contract ends this summer and he has a lot of PRL experience) and a CB from Villareal, can't remember his name right now...either ways, all of them would be welcome and if Arsenal really wants any of them, it shouldn't really be a problem.

Oh man. Playing with Sanchez on the top would never work well I think, it just doesn't match well with Arsenal's playing style and this would only work if the other team have some big-ass slow CB. Arsenal have always played with offensive backs, and those players we have now (Debuchy, Gibbs, Monreal, Bellerin etc.) are all offensive backs...Having those kinda backs means that we need a good target man up front which they can play some crosses towards in the opposition's penalty area, otherwise it would be stupid to even have offensive backs. The rumors with Cavani and Benzema have been going on forever, both would be a great signing, but those rumors have continued for so many transfer windows now that I really don't believe it will ever happen, I hope I'm wrong though. It would be nice if we could get a world class striker someday...I also kinda hope that Welbeck could become the striker we need, to be fair he got all the qualities, he just need to improve his end product. 

Arsenal usually have one good period in every season, so let's hope that period is now so we at least can get a 4th or 3rd place. It's insane to think about we had about 12 points more last season around this time of the year. I would hate to see United end in front of us in the table. They've really played like shit all season xD

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening in this thread right now. The league is getting super excited, such a tight fight between the 3rd and 4th place and also in the bottom of the league. I'm really happy about how Arsenal have played lately, with more focus on defensive structure and direct counter attack, and oh man, really good to see Özil back in good shape. Bellerin and Coq is playing so well atm, if Arsenal can keep this up then I believe in the 3rd place, hell even the 2nd place could be possible. I so hope we will obliterate spurs on saturday :)

I can't imagine too many people are lamenting this loss? Hard to say he did a great job with the club, though admittedly, I don't follow QPR too closely. 

I think there was a QPR fan kicking about on here.

But yeah I can't see many fans being too upset by this, it looks like he's wanted to be fired for a long time now. I'm not sure if Tim Sherwood is really the man to take them forward though.

I think going down could work out to be the best thing long term. Give them chance to rebuild properly. 

I think there was a QPR fan kicking about on here.

That'd be me. Glad that Redknapp's called it a day. Fernandes is trying to change the club's identity moving forward - getting back to focusing on developing from within. It's a long progress though and it will be a very close end to the season whoever comes in. Can't wait to get rid of the last bunch of mercenaries at the end of the season - mostly rio and swp. I wouldn't mind going back to the championship if it doesn't mean financial meltdown for the club - it's a great division. 

That'd be me. Glad that Redknapp's called it a day. Fernandes is trying to change the club's identity moving forward - getting back to focusing on developing from within. It's a long progress though and it will be a very close end to the season whoever comes in. Can't wait to get rid of the last bunch of mercenaries at the end of the season - mostly rio and swp. I wouldn't mind going back to the championship if it doesn't mean financial meltdown for the club - it's a great division.

I loved our season down there, the fans are great (bar Forest) and it was proper football.

What would you think of Sherwood as manager or is there anyone else you'd prefer??

Redknapp gone.

What's everyone's views on him?

Personally I'm glad to see the back of him. Can't stand the guy who's only way of doing anything is paying average players stupid wages, bankrupting clubs and is clearly stuck in the past tactically wise.

Don't think he ever really got over not being named the next England manager. He was already recruiting Brenden Rodgers as his second even before the announcement. Not saying he was great before then, but atleast decent. QPR has been a disaster with him. Recruiting an island of misfit toys and former stars probably wasn't the best approach.

Not much happening in this thread right now. The league is getting super excited, such a tight fight between the 3rd and 4th place and also in the bottom of the league. I'm really happy about how Arsenal have played lately, with more focus on defensive structure and direct counter attack, and oh man, really good to see Özil back in good shape. Bellerin and Coq is playing so well atm, if Arsenal can keep this up then I believe in the 3rd place, hell even the 2nd place could be possible. I so hope we will obliterate spurs on saturday :)

I'll definitely be watching. I hope Wenger plays Ozil behind Giroud and not on the flank, he has Walcott and the Ox for that

Well, I think it was about time that QPR got rid of Redknapp, really seems like they are in the need of some sort of the chance. I think they have a good squad that is not performing well, and that has been the case for a long while now. 

I'll definitely be watching. I hope Wenger plays Ozil behind Giroud and not on the flank, he has Walcott and the Ox for that

Where should Cazorla play then? He is our best player atm. I think the last game was actually one of the first games I've seen özil play pretty well on the flank, but alright it was against a villa team in a bad shape...Anyways, Walcott is definitely not in a good enough form to be a starter atm, he still looks quite rusty, so being a substitute for now seems ideal. I wonder how the Ox will be when he return from injury, he might be a bit rusty as well. Well, we got sanchez and welbeck as options as well for the flanks, both injured atm though. I so hope that Sanchez would be ready again for the derby.

Anyways, we can easily agree on that the position behind Giroud would fit Özil way better than playing on the flank, but the way Cazorla is playing right now well yea, then it's better for Özil to play on the flank or simply just start on the bench.

I loved our season down there, the fans are great (bar Forest) and it was proper football.

What would you think of Sherwood as manager or is there anyone else you'd prefer??

Not too sure about Sherwood, it would be a different approach - at least he's in the early stages of his managerial career and has something to prove. 

If we could coax Paul Clement away from Real Madrid he could be a good shout as a first time manager. He's got great coaching experience and is a QPR supporter which would give him some passion for the position.

Sherwood seems a risk for me, surely you want to get someone who has history of keeping teams up, even if it is just until the summer.

Not really anyone with that on their CV available at the moment. 

• 1 month later...