help find our next vinyl collector of the month

Guest admin1338560633

I decided that for the month of September, I would choose someone from the message board. I wanted to figure out a way of selecting someone from suggestions by the board.

We could nominate people and then put them up for a vote or could do some kind of contest on the board.

Any ideas? I am out of town this weekend, but I will respond if I can get online.

Please give serious suggestions as I want to find a way that is fair to everyone on the board.

My suggestions:

1.)Make people earn it. In 100 words or less, explain why you should be collector of the month. Virgil can pick the best submission and we'll (presumably) get an interesting read out of it.

2.)Set some criteria (# of records owned, etc.) and pick a name out of a hat from the candidates. In the future you can go back to those for months you don't know who to pick

3.) If you're worried about alienating people with small collections, put every registered users name in a hat and pick one. Contact the person and gauge their interest. If they don't feel their collection is worthy, repeat the process.

Set up a post just for nominations. One nomination per person, and just the name to keep it simple. So all it would say in the post is:

Joe Schmoe

Then, total up all the nominations and have a vote / poll on the top three poeple.

I'd agree with this, it seems the best way to do it. A small variations would be to have said nomination thread, add it up to get the top 5 then run a poll thread to pick someone out of that 5.

I think you should just pick at random someone who is active on the board. Criteria for "active" could be:

-100 or more total posts

-last post made within the past week (or 2 weeks, whatever)

Or something like that. I think nominating might create a bad vibe cause what would be the criteria for nominating someone? Everyone on here would like to be COTM.

My suggestions:

1.)Make people earn it. In 100 words or less, explain why you should be collector of the month. Virgil can pick the best submission and we'll (presumably) get an interesting read out of it.

2.)Set some criteria (# of records owned, etc.) and pick a name out of a hat from the candidates. In the future you can go back to those for months you don't know who to pick

3.) If you're worried about alienating people with small collections, put every registered users name in a hat and pick one. Contact the person and gauge their interest. If they don't feel their collection is worthy, repeat the process.

I like #1.. but any of the 3. Virgil you could pick like 5 nominees and make a poll about it. that's my suggestion

This is the reason I didn't get any scholarships to College. Also, I don't want to hear anybody's sob story about how they were too poor to buy CD's (which oddly enough was my college entrance essay..jk)

-100 or more total posts

That could potentially leave out some good candidates solely because they are newbies...I'm not referring to myself but you never know who out there would be a good one but not allowed because they recently joined.

I dunno...I will say this...this has become an exciting thread! ;D

This is the reason I didn't get any scholarships to College. Also, I don't want to hear anybody's sob story about how they were too poor to buy CD's (which oddly enough was my college entrance essay..jk)

i kinda have to agree. essay idea seems sort of lame.

drawing names of active board members out of a hat seems super dooper fair. and easy. unlike writing an essay.

My suggestions:

I like any of these three. All seem pretty straight forward and easy.

-100 or more total posts

That could potentially leave out some good candidates solely because they are newbies...I'm not referring to myself but you never know who out there would be a good one but not allowed because they recently joined.

I dunno...I will say this...this has become an exciting thread! ;D

You're right, I'm just saying it has to be reasonable and random. I think having to "do" something to earn it wouldn't make sense. We all have lots of vinyl, thats pretty much the only criteria.

Virgil could always randomly "pull names" as has been suggested...check out their collections (if they have links; if not request a list from them privately) and maybe make a decision from there...what to look for in the collections?...Now, that I would not know...

Just throwing some ideas out there I guess...

I like all of the suggestions, but the 2 I like most are:

1. Having people nominate others, the top 5 nominations go up for vote.

2. Me picking a name out of a hat of all of the registered message boarders.

I think an essay would be cool, but it feels like it would be way more serious of a thing than I want it to be.

How about let's try to nominating first and see how it goes. If people get but hurt about it, we will try something else.

I am going to start a thread where nominating is open, it will have the other guidelines.