Records melting (ocd?)

dim

I'm moving into an on-campus apartment for my last semester of college and I got some new releases that I would really like to take to school with me. My problem is that on-campus housing has no air conditioning and I always fear my records will warp or melt or something. This fear is pretty unfounded seeing as freshman year I had my records and player at school with no problems. Still, is there an issue with heat? how hot does it have to be for things to go wrong?

I've never had air conditioning and I've never had a problem. I've just always made sure that they are positioned in the room so that sunlight never directly hits them. And that's usually only a big concern with a massive amount of records with limited storage options.

thats why I leave them in storage boxes inside my closet

i live in florida so my AC runs all day every day

my main concern is keeping the blinds closed in the morning to avoid sunlight hitting my A-K section of my LPs because they are somewhat close to a window.

I'm in Florida as well but all my records are in storage bins (12"/lp's) or milk crates (7"s) which I keep them in the closet. The AC is not running continuously but enough to keep the house cool. I only crack open the blinds to let enough sunlight in to not have to turn the light on.

The only time that was I worried was after any and all hurricanes when we're without power for a few days to a few weeks. But the records have been OK throughout it all.

I'd be more concerned about humidity than heat. While your dorm room might get uncomfortable for you if you don't have a fan on or anything, the molecular composition of records won't get altered by, say, a room at 80 degrees. If anything, buy a dehumidifier to suck all the moisture out of the air -- it's that stuff that will mess up your sleeves.

I'd be more concerned about humidity than heat. While your dorm room might get uncomfortable for you if you don't have a fan on or anything, the molecular composition of records won't get altered by, say, a room at 80 degrees. If anything, buy a dehumidifier to suck all the moisture out of the air -- it's that stuff that will mess up your sleeves.

Yeah all my stuff is in my basement and it gets pretty humid down there, so I try to run my dehumidifier as much as possible. A few of my dvd inserts still show a little warp from the humidity.

I left an Elton John record in the back window of my car one day. Well, someone else left it there and I kind of didn't do anything about it. Anyways. It wasn't very hot out, but under the glass it melted and warped pretty badly. I think its got to do mostly with direct sunlight. Extreme heat will do it to, of course.