How are you going deaf?

dim

How are you listening to your records?

Someone posted a thread awhile back on the other board about what kind of table you use, but just as important are what kind of speakers/headphones you actually get the sound with.

My brother is a media designer at Bose and hooked me up with these. They're nothing short of amazing.

[image]

I just use regular headphones as long as it sounds decent I don't care. I can't handle anything inside my ears so all the earbuds and stuff won't do with me. First of all they won't stay in my ears and 2nd I get baaaaaad ear infections from them.

So yeah. I'm not going deaf ever. I don't like loud music. I get very annoyed when you can hear the person next to you on the bus' music louder than your own, so I never do it. Loud enough so I can hear it is good, but too loud is just a good way to get a major headache.

Guest scriptedrain
I just use regular headphones as long as it sounds decent I don't care. I can't handle anything inside my ears so all the earbuds and stuff won't do with me. First of all they won't stay in my ears and 2nd I get baaaaaad ear infections from them.

Finally, I hear from someone else that can't / won't listen to music with those ear buds. I felt like I was the only 1 and there was something wrong with my ears, physically. I just don't get how people can wear them, nevermind feel comfortable.

- Jeff

I've been scoping those Bose for a long time now. I don't want to pay money for the Bose name, so I'm waiting for something else to pop up. However, I cannot find another headphone that feels as nice and sounds just as good as those Bose ones. I think those headphones cost $130, but I know there's something out there that's better at the same price or even cheaper. I refuse to pay the extra money so I have Bose.

i wear $20 sony's. yeah, i would love a pair of those bose headphones... but it's not in the cards... i never listen to records on headphones. the only time i use headphones is when i'm on my bike (wind rushing by my ears and cars don't lend itself to great sound anyway, so i jsut use my ipod buds), and at work off my computer (again, mp3's don't lend themselves to great sound anyway, so my sony's do the job).

i'm on my second or third pair of the exact same phones. i've gotten like 2 or 3 years out of each pair... so for 20 bucks, i definately feel like i get the best out of them. and they're the best sounding cheap headphones i've found.

[image]

oh, and i'm not going deaf from loud music in the headphones, i'm going deaf from seeing hundreds upon hundreds of shows with no earplugs.

Finally, I hear from someone else that can't / won't listen to music with those ear buds. I felt like I was the only 1 and there was something wrong with my ears, physically. I just don't get how people can wear them, nevermind feel comfortable.

- Jeff

It ISN'T comfortable :|

I also refuse to buy Sony products, so I'm in a huge pickle.

If you're not wearing earplugs to shows you're not right in the head (seriously)

A) it sounds better

B) you'll be able to listen to your grandkids

I agree, as lame as it may have been I wore earplugs to most of the shows I went to in high school, especially the ones I played.

When you're talking about a room in a VFW hall where everything is turned up as loud as possible to be able to mix with the drums you're definetly doing a lot of damage. It's nothing like going to shows with real sound equipment and engineering.

I plead with all of you to please, please, please wear earplugs at every concert you go to. I've been wearing them since August '99, and since then, I've probably gone to around 1000 shows (I'm estimating here, but I know I've gone to 400+ since moving to Cleveland in '04, so I imagine 1000 total isn't much of a stretch). I can't even imagine how poor my hearing would be if I didn't wear earplugs.

I don't really even understand the argument for not wearing earplugs, either -- it's not like most punk clubs have crisp, clear PAs that allow you to hear everything, nor do most punk bands sound incredibly pristine live. Wearing earplugs hardly detracts from the experience, especially when you consider what it can save in the long run.

Maybe I sound like a parent here, but you only get one set of ears. If you lose your hearing, that's it. Game over. Sure, hearing aids can help to an extent, but the more you damage your eardrums, the less you'll be able to appreciate the nuances in recorded music.

Seriously, please wear earplugs.

i get my earplugs at shoppers drug mart; you can get them at most drug stores i've found. my common law and i keep a pack of 30 in the glove box of the car because if we keep them at home we'll forget them.

and scott is right, you're a goddamned idiot if you don't use earplugs. i didn't for a long time, but when i went to broadcasting school and found out what kind of decibel levels most PA's put out and what kind of damage that can do it scared me straight. i already had a bit of permanent ring, very slight, from years of shows without protection. now i NEVER go without and i've enjoyed shows just as much if not more with them in. it's just essential in my mind.

also, i have a couple of pairs of great sennheiser studio monitoring headphones i got when i was in school. sennheisers are amazing, though some of the lower-end models aren't that comfortable. i try not to use earbuds, not so much for comfort but just because there isn't enough outside noise cancellation. i usually don't use headphones with my turntable...i just turn it up as loud as i can without the neighbours banging on the wall.