Hot Snakes.

so who liked Hot Snakes? raise your hand and be exalted. hugely underrated. like a more refined, compact drive like jehu (who were pretty dudely themselves)

they put out 3 great records, each with its own distinct personality, and broke up. now i dont have to ever say, "man, that new record is ok, but doesnt come close to "

you know?

a-fucking-greed.

rocket from the crypt is another all time favorite. and boooo to those who sip the live from camp x-ray haterade

I honestly think Camp X-Ray is one of my favorite RFtC albums. I think it's solid as fuck from start to finish.

you're probably ther first person ive ever heard say that. but i agree. great record. definitely a dirty, "Sultans" vibe going on. a lot of RFTC fans say it's their worst, as if such a thing as a bad RFTC record exists.

oh man marked men are soo good. i love RFTC too, soooo good. my friends band did a tribute to them last halloween, it was off the hook. hot snakes, great, jehu, great

reis is putting together a new band, speedo, i'm sure it will be awesome. I'm pretty sure we'd be best friends if I lived near you.

from http://www.punknews.org/article/25124

John Reis has started a new band dubbed Speedo. The group features the Hot Snakes' Jason Kourkounis on drums and Gar Wood on guitar as well as Tommy Kitsos of Montreal's CPC Gangbangs. On the Swami message board Reis commented:

The sound is a combonation of everything I've been a part of dating back to my prepubescent days in Pitchfork. Similar to Hot Snakes but not as sinister yet still maintaining some of the drama and subsonic boom. Akin to the rockin' fun of RFTC but without the same kind of riffery. Like the Sultans but not as straightforward yet still maintaining the sense of melody and pop of the 2nd record. Occassional nods to the Flamin' Groovies, Real Kids, Byrds, boogie rock era Status Quo, Bo Diddley, Chess Records in general, Wipers, Michael Yonkers and Shuggie Otis are evident to me.

Reis also spoke about a few upcoming Swami releases. In regards to posthumous Rocket From The Crypt material, he made mention of the upcoming DVD in the works, as well as a collection of songs from the Drag Racist Recordings studio. He's uncovered 13 unreleased songs from old tapes as well as raw versions of RFTC and Group Sounds songs. Any resulting release is still a ways away however.

On top of all this, Reis has opened a bar in San Diego's North Park district called Pink Elephant. Speedo has plans to perform there in September after their record is finished.

does anyone follow Swami Records at all? they put out The Marked Men- Fix My Brain last year and it went almost totally unnoticed. definitely check it out if you ever see it anywhere. comes on clear wax, too, and cheap.

Do you know if it's only on clear? I've been wanting to pick one up but I want to make sure I get colored. I haven't seen black, but it'd be just my luck

Hot Snakes were good, but nothing compares do Rocket. By far the best live band I've ever seen. I saw them in 96 for the first time, then lastly at their last ever show in Diego. 6 times total I think.

I picked up Hot Charity at Amoeba (Hollywood) for $10 sealed. Damn good price.

Circa:Now! is probably their best overall album, but the first 5 tracks on Group Sounds is pretty amazing. State of Art is pretty flawless too.

Yep. Pretty much one of the best bands EVER!

Hot Snakes is good too though.

Jehu too.

But Rocket is best.

K, bye.

L

Don't smite me, but I just can't get into RFTC. I've only heard stuff on myspace pages, but it never grabs me. Perhaps I should pick up an entire record and give it a listen.

What is one record I should pick up that will get me in to them? Is there a general consensus among RFTC fans regarding their 'essential' release?