Vinyl budget?

Here's how I'm going to TRY to do it...I'm going to put $120 (the extra $20 is to cover shipping costs) into my PayPal account the first of every month. I have a PayPal debit card, so I can use that in stores and for online credit card purchases if the store/seller doesn't do straight PayPal. The PayPal thing will keep me honest and also keep track for me. It will also ensure the money I don't spend in a month gets carried over. There is one caveat to my budget: If my white whale (Screeching Weasel - BoogadaBoogadaBoogada German pressing) pops up anywhere I can buy it no questions asked and it won't count against my budget...

I think this sounds fair...how about all of you?

That should work well.

I have a spending account with a debit card attached to it, it's also the funding source of my PayPal account.  Each paycheck I drop roughly 10% of my income into it (bear it mind I have a decent job, so this is a decent amount), and it's my 'whatever the fuck I want' account.  95% of it is spent on vinyl, haha.

I've been doing it this way for about three years, it works great.

Jesus I just noticed how old the post was that I quoted, hahahaha, I thought the references to Virgil were ironic  :lol:  :lol:

I keep my purchases separate from "our" accounts. Both our pay checks go into our main account where we pay all our bills and stuff. We both have a monthly allowance to our individual accounts. If I have debt it is mine to worry about and it is on a credit card that has no ties to my wife. If I have debt...which I do, I need to figure out creative ways to pay it off (turning tricks, etc.)

She doesn't need to worry about it and doesn't care to hear about it.

This is more or less my set up with my wife.  It really does work well.

Though the debt note is something to take note of, Mars ;)  Your debt will effect her, and vice versa, if you ever go looking for a loan or to buy a house together.

I keep my purchases separate from "our" accounts. Both our pay checks go into our main account where we pay all our bills and stuff. We both have a monthly allowance to our individual accounts. If I have debt it is mine to worry about and it is on a credit card that has no ties to my wife. If I have debt...which I do, I need to figure out creative ways to pay it off (turning tricks, etc.)

She doesn't need to worry about it and doesn't care to hear about it.

This is not too different from our situation - although instead of combining our paychecks into an account and each having an allowance come out of it, we each put a fixed amount into a shared account each paycheck to cover mortgage, bills, groceries, and a little extra. I pay my own debt, the car, and most meals out with my money. She pays her debt and anything else with her money. So my problem is I just keep the rest of the money in my checking account and spend till I feel I've spent too much.

I think we should shift our approach, or maybe just my approach. I think the fixed money into a shared account is fine, but I need to not leave the rest of my money available so easily. I should get my paychecks deposited to savings, and allow myself a certain amount each pay period to spend on records, clothing, meals out, etc. I like the idea of putting a certain amount into my PayPal account each month for vinyl purchases.

You really think your debt has no impact on your spouse? Ever plan to buy a house together? :)

This is more or less my set up with my wife.  It really does work well.

Though the debt note is something to take note of, Mars ;)  Your debt will effect her, and vice versa, if you ever go looking for a loan or to buy a house together.

We've had a house for 10 years, but I get what you are both saying.  I don't mean to imply that if I amass a large debt it wouldn't affect her.  What I meant is that there was a time that she would get frustrated and stressed about my spending habits because they are different than hers, but we came to an agreement that as long as I am taking care of my shit, it is not her stress to worry about.

I think we should shift our approach, or maybe just my approach. I think the fixed money into a shared account is fine, but I need to not leave the rest of my money available so easily. I should get my paychecks deposited to savings, and allow myself a certain amount each pay period to spend on records, clothing, meals out, etc. I like the idea of putting a certain amount into my PayPal account each month for vinyl purchases.

Yes, my problem is that I have never been very good at saving, which is, again, why it works for us to have most of our money going into our joint account.  She is then able to work her magic and put some into other accounts each month so that we do have some savings. 

I've heard $200 a month as a baseline a couple of times and that seems to work well.

Also take into account the 50/30/20 rule. 50% of your monthly income should go to essentials (rent/mortgage/groceries). 30% should go towards lifestyle expenses (vinyl/nights out/beer). 20% should go towards debt/retirement/savings.

You can use that as a baseline, plus your numbers in and see where you fall. Bend the numbers around that 30% as much as you can ;)

ugh, why did i click on this thread? i have added 22 records to my collection in the last 2 weeks.

I buy more used records than new lately though, only 4 of those albums were brand new. I don't want to look at the total cost though, my wife would shit herself.

The amount i spend seems to go up and down week to week and month to month. To try and set a budget per month might not work. There are some months that are quite lean and some that are ridiculous. Spring and Fall seem to be the boom times. 

ugh, why did i click on this thread? i have added 22 records to my collection in the last 2 weeks.

I buy more used records than new lately though, only 4 of those albums were brand new. I don't want to look at the total cost though, my wife would shit herself.

The amount i spend seems to go up and down week to week and month to month. To try and set a budget per month might not work. There are some months that are quite lean and some that are ridiculous. Spring and Fall seem to be the boom times.

Do you keep a running list of wants and needs with prices?

I think what could help is an ongoing list of Wants vs. Needs. Needs would be a record you absolutely have to have due to a time restraint/new release/etc. Wants would be records that can wait for a little while, you don't absolutely have to have them yet.

That way you can compare your budget to your list and during the dry spells, you can snag those "wants" and during the tighter months of spending, only snag those "needs".

Do you keep a running list of wants and needs with prices?

I think what could help is an ongoing list of Wants vs. Needs. Needs would be a record you absolutely have to have due to a time restraint/new release/etc. Wants would be records that can wait for a little while, you don't absolutely have to have them yet.

That way you can compare your budget to your list and during the dry spells, you can snag those "wants" and during the tighter months of spending, only snag those "needs".

I don't keep a need and want list, but that might work actually. For example there will be a few items on RSD that will fall under the Need category and a few that will fall under the Want category. I'm going to try this idea.

I have come across a few albums this past couple of weeks that have been on my want list for a few years. It's things like that that you can't anticipate, and when you find them you can't pass them up because it might be another 2 or 3 years before you see them again.

My spending is sporadic. I am 16 so I don't have any real financial responsibilities so my income is 100% disposable. I try not to randomly blow it all, but that doesn't always happen. I tend to order POs so I don't miss out and depending on what kind of a month I was having I'll buy a ton of stuff from "collection sales" where people want to cut you killer deals. Honestly I don't buy many new RPs ever, I just wait and find them used and pay $10 or $12 instead of $20 or $25. I buy records in big lots of 10 or 15 and spend $150-175ish once a month or so and don't spend much otherwise.

My wife and i try to limit it to 1-2 releases per week. Obviously if there is a week where there isn't anything I want but next week there are 3-4 things, that's fine.

It's hard to break the habit of wanting to pick up every record i think i might listen to one day, but at some point you just have to get real about the "hobby".

It's a good thing my g/f appreciates vinyl and we have a lot of taste overlap - she had far more vinyl than me when we met. I was still buying CDs and she had stopped buying vinyl. We resurrected her turntable 2 years ago, bought an old school receiver and speakers, and now my vinyl collection exceeds hers quite a bit. She appreciates the hobby but worries about money - which is understandable.

I try to limit my spending to things we can both appreciate, as moments at home alone are rare, but there are certain things I really want to own that she doesn't like so I make exceptions. But that general rule helps cut down what I buy too. 

i had some shifty shit go down at the last place i lived and had to move back in with my dad in september

i havent lived at home since i was 20, but i had to get somewhere fast and it seemed like the best thing to do

there was a 4 year period were i barely spent money on records. like maybe on tour wed go to some cool shops and id spend 50-60 bucks in two weeks.

plus i only had internet at once place i lived in the past 4 years. its easier to not buy records then.

but basically in the time i been living back at home, ive been spending 100+ a week on records, depending on whats coming out and whatnot. i spend all my time on discogs and ebay, and its fucked up.

i dont have a shitty job or anything, and have saved a lot since being here. but just thinking of how much more i could have saved kinda makes me mad

Shipping fees are exploding my vinyl budget. 5 years ago i would spent 100 € a month and get almost 10 to 15 records... nowadays it s more 5 ...

I tried to count how much i d spend each month to reduce my budget but thanks to labels and discogs i couldn t...

Shipping doesn't count, right? we just kind of ignore that money lol.

I used to buy way too much. I buy 150 records a year these days. I stopped buying 7 inches I will listen to 2 times.I also realized I donnt need to own everything by artists I like if that album isnt good. I try to listen before I buy too. If I buy too many records some never get played.

The money isn't an issue at all for me. When my collection was over 2000 records, I was like what am I doing with all this stuff. I currently am down to 1510 with 44 bought this year and 37 sold.

Just buy things you know you really want and enjoy

Why do people need to budget things? How hard is it to spend within your means?

Spending within your means is budgeting.  Most people aren't financially savvy, so they don't fully understand what within their means actually means. Having a budget helps quantify that to those people.

Why do people need to budget things? How hard is it to spend within your means?

Spending within your means is budgeting.

I have a set amount I allow myself to spend on things, but if some "vinyl emergency" comes up, I can cover it if I really want to buy something.

That said, I know some folks on this website don't understand the difference between things they want (records) and things they need (food/clothing/shelter).

Some people automatically budget in their head, but others need to write down exactly what they can spend and stick to that.

Every time I go to buy something I run through in my head:

1) Is this a need, or a want?

2) Can I find this cheaper somewhere else/will it still be available at another time when maybe I have some "extra" funds?

3) How will this affect me being able to

a) save money for the future

B) pay for my actual needs

c) not make my wife angry for me spending money on it?

If I meet all the right criteria, I buy it. If not, I don't.

I think a lot of people (both in general and on this website) have problems with impulse control that having a written budget may be able to help them with. No one should go into debt just trying to buy a bunch of records.