Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I've had a couple bad experiences with ordering from Brutal Panda & will nmot be ordering from them again. Twice in a row I have had to remind them to actually ship my order. The first time I got a lame excuse, the second time they didn't even bother responding, but my order showed up a week later. Good bands, but amateur operation.

My recent Topshelf UK order took 8 days to arrive, which is a bit extreme. They are using the SilverBulletMerch distro. I'm going to chalk that up to the fact that they've only recently setup the UK/EU distributor, or maybe they had a stock issue that wasn't noted on the site.

I've had items from Topshelf US, MerchDirect US and several others arrive within 7 days on multiple occasions, so hopefully they'll speed up else I may as well just continue to use the US service.

Noted. Still ironing out the kinks with this. Also, in the early go of this, we had some things we sent to them that got caught up in customs (like, whole pallettes worth of shirts and records) and that unfortunately delayed the shipping times of some of the orders because they simply didn't have them yet. We've learned from that and only put inventory in the store that is in their possession. Also, we know the shipping's a bit much but that's the best rate we can get using a third party to ship our stuff for us, so we've lowered our prices on the actual items — the shipping stays 4.75, but the price of the merch is less so it evens out more. We make less so you don't have to overpay. Hopefully you don't have any future problems!!

I ordered a new copy of Sailing the Seas... by Primus from Amazon, fulfilled by Newbury Comics.

It was the new deluxe version, and of course, like everyone else, I was hoping to get the yellow cheese vinyl (but not holding my breath on that).  This was my favorite album when I was 14, and it always brings back great memories.  Don't own a copy of it currently.

Well, it came in the mail and it had about a 1 inch slit along the side.  Just enough for someone to possibly pry open with some tweezers and take a peak at the color of the vinyl.  In fact, as I opened it up and took the record out, the inside protective sleeve had a little tear in it level with where the 1 inch slit was.  

Of course, this isn't something I could in any way prove, but I do not think I'm being paranoid here.  I'm pretty sure someone checked the color very slyly.  If it weren't for the rip on the protective sleeve, I probably would have thought I was being paranoid.  

Anyway, it pissed me off.  I would have been happy to have lucked out and received a yellow vinyl copy, but wasn't expecting it.  So being on black wasn't a big deal to me.  But someone at Newbury is a complete asshole.  

I ordered a new copy of Sailing the Seas... by Primus from Amazon, fulfilled by Newbury Comics.

It was the new deluxe version, and of course, like everyone else, I was hoping to get the yellow cheese vinyl (but not holding my breath on that). This was my favorite album when I was 14, and it always brings back great memories. Don't own a copy of it currently.

Well, it came in the mail and it had about a 1 inch slit along the side. Just enough for someone to possibly pry open with some tweezers and take a peak at the color of the vinyl. In fact, as I opened it up and took the record out, the inside protective sleeve had a little tear in it level with where the 1 inch slit was.

Of course, this isn't something I could in any way prove, but I do not think I'm being paranoid here. I'm pretty sure someone checked the color very slyly. If it weren't for the rip on the protective sleeve, I probably would have thought I was being paranoid.

Anyway, it pissed me off. I would have been happy to have lucked out and received a yellow vinyl copy, but wasn't expecting it. So being on black wasn't a big deal to me. But someone at Newbury is a complete asshole.

I used to do this all the time at Newbury when I was younger. So it easily could have been a customer as I know they move stock around from store to warehouse etc.

Just sayin.

Of course, this isn't something I could in any way prove, but I do not think I'm being paranoid here.  I'm pretty sure someone checked the color very slyly.  If it weren't for the rip on the protective sleeve, I probably would have thought I was being paranoid.  

Anyway, it pissed me off.  I would have been happy to have lucked out and received a yellow vinyl copy, but wasn't expecting it.  So being on black wasn't a big deal to me.  But someone at Newbury is a complete asshole.  

I will have to say you were being paranoid. I have gotten a few records with seam splits on the side, and it goes straight through the inner sleeve. If what you're describing is a seemingly normal seam split with another seemingly normal seam split on the inner sleeve, it was probably a seemingly normal seam split. They could've checked the color by simply opening the shrink wrap.

Also, kind of ridiculous you're blaming the record store for this haha

I will have to say you were being paranoid. I have gotten a few records with seam splits on the side, and it goes straight through the inner sleeve. If what you're describing is a seemingly normal seam split with another seemingly normal seam split on the inner sleeve, it was probably a seemingly normal seam split. They could've checked the color by simply opening the shrink wrap.

Also, kind of ridiculous you're blaming the record store for this haha

He's talking about a slice in the shrink wrap and in the dust sleeve, not a seam split. Still paranoid, but wanted to clarify.

Thanks.

Also, as someone pointed out, it was likely not Newbury, so it is probably wrong for me to blame them.  But I don't feel I was being overly paranoid, as I said, the dust sleeve was also damaged in a very specific manner.  

He's talking about a slice in the shrink wrap and in the dust sleeve, not a seam split. Still paranoid, but wanted to clarify.

I've had really bad experiences with Captured Tracks ( http://www.capturedtracks.com ) - but I think they were growing too quickly and going through personnel changes.  They hired a new customer support person and then I had a fantastic experience.  Ever since then they seem to be on the up & up.  Nice label, great prices, quick shipping.

I really like ordering from El Paraiso ( http://www.elparaisorecords.com/ ) as well.  Jonas Munk, who runs the label answers the "Contact Us" emails himself and they make a great product.  For me, it's overseas shipping but stuff still arrives quickly and they make a fantastic product.

• 2 weeks later...

My Castaways and Cutouts record was printed with two A sides.

I facebooked Jealous Butcher records, and they told me to ship them just the record and they will ship a new one back.  So far they seem good.  They will cover costs.

I'm intrigued as to why they want me to send them the double A side though.

Music Record Shop has gotten progressively worse. They went from shipping within their 1-3 day parameter for previous orders to not shipping since I placed my current order 2 weeks ago. Tried communicating with no response. Just wrote them to cancel my order as I have no need for it. Won't be using them again. Very disappointing as they used to be great.

I facebooked Jealous Butcher records, and they told me to ship them just the record and they will ship a new one back.  So far they seem good.  They will cover costs.

So they can flip it on ebay as a single copy variant

I recently with placed an order with Deathwish, Inc. and I am nothing more than satisfied. Placed the order late on a Friday night around 11pm and got an email that it shipped out the next day. My order arrived with no problems at all Tuesday afternoon.

Also recently recieved an order from Sound Stage Direct with no problems at all. The order had 3 10" records and it was packaged excellent. It arrived a few days before the expected delivery and I was satisfied.

Would deal with both of them again.

The actual songs? Or just the labels?  The process for pressing records wouldn't allow for a single stamper to be used on both sides of a record. So for this to happen they would need 2 sets of stampers and have them mixed up. And then the odds of that hapening only once then then it getting corrected and the one error actually getting shipped and next to impossible. if it just had 2 A side labels that's more likely. I am guessing they don't believe you.

I saw that JollyRonnie posted in here and it made me think to comment on how awesome he/they are as a label/distro channel!!
I ordered a record and not only was the price nice (12 ppd) but also included were a couple free 7"s, a cd and some stickers!!
A+ service!!

So while it's not totally the fault of Turntable Lab, I'd have to strongly caution Canadians from buying from them. Not only did I pay an obscene $30 shipping fee for my record, I just got a bill for another $15 from FedEx. So, yeah, $45 shipping for a $20 record is pretty spectacular.

Also got no shipping cofirmation and no tracking number. Probably my fault for not realizing what I was getting into when it was FedEx shipping and not USPS, but holy shit. Never again.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?