Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

• 1 month later...

On 1/18/2017 at 2:25 PM, No This Is Patrick said:

Shoutout to Spartan Records! (Finally) Ordered a copy of "Destination: Beautiful" to go with my "The Everglow". Just came in with a handwritten thanks, label sticker, Twizzler candy, and a Torii Hunter baseball card. Oh, and they're great with shipping/packaging... it's just nice and/or cool to get little extras. :P

You're my hero. I was just lamenting how expensive Everglow was on Discogs and found your post. Now I guess I'll get to see how great they are...skipped on Destination, but I'll have to keep my eyes open for Singularity.

Quick update, just based on what's happened with a few different purchases over the past few days:

SRCvinyl - Ordered Thursday, shipped Monday with tracking info. I'm cautiously optimistic. Granted, they were all SRC exclusives and everything was listed as in stock. Maybe that helped.

Spartan Records - Ordered Thursday, shipped Monday. With these guys in Seattle, this might even hit my mailbox tomorrow. I'm excited. They might be my favorite to deal with so far, if only for the previous ties to Tooth & Nail.

Acceptance via MerchNow - Ordered Thursday, still no update on shipping, but they did send the download code. These are they guys I'll be most concerned about on follow-through, but I'm not worried yet.

SoundStageDirect - Ordered Thursday, received tracking info Friday. Has been "in transit" since the 4th, but I think that's more a USPS issue than anything.

So I suppose I've had a 75% success rate on turnaround times with SRC being the most surprising result, based on their track record. Fingers crossed that everything arrives in perfect condition.

Ok, Spartan has officially become my number one favorite. Quick responses, stupid fast shipping, and massive attention to detail all push them to the top of the list. I didn't get as many pack-ins as some of the previously mentioned guys have, but I did get a beautiful copy of The Everglow to my door at Amazon speed from a label and I'll take that any day of the week. In one transaction, they've made a permanent customer. I might even shoot an email next time to see if I can come down to Seattle and pick my next order up by hand and visit the facilities.

Updates on the others?

SRC - Tracking has them taking 8 days to my door from Buffalo, NY. Media mail really is the most "economic" method, I suppose. At least I know they're on the way.

MerchNow - Despite the product page listing this as a preorder, but available 2/27, my order status shows a March 10 availability. Which one is it, guys? Patiently waiting.

SSD - In USPS limbo. If I have SRC's tracking as an indicator, I'll probably receive them at about the same time.

Edited by neo_styles
Updated info from MerchNow

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Lmao are you going to document all your orders here from now on? I understand how exciting it is when you first start collecting but this is slightly crazy ya know :P

If they keep ordering from such shitty places they will quickly realize that keeping up with incoming orders isn't fun at all.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Lmao are you going to document all your orders here from now on? I understand how exciting it is when you first start collecting but this is slightly crazy ya know :P

Ha. No, it's not my first time collecting, but I did make orders from a bunch of different guys at once and thought it would be interesting to see how they all pitted against each other at one specific point in time.

Spartan's still the winner for me, though.

• 3 weeks later...

SRC has been the worst buying experience I have ever had purchasing music before, in my entire life.  I purchased 3 exclusives, one being a pre-order, the other two are in stock, the original street date for beautiful letdown has come and gone, it has been marked backordered multiple times on their site over the last three weeks, and changed back to pre-order to released on the 24th.  Needless to say my order has still yet to ship.  I have created tickets and one of their customer service people promised to split the order for me to ship the other two titles out, yet that never happened and went unaddressed through multiple exchanges of tickets.  The phone number on their site is never answered via a customer service person or even at their retail store.  I have never received an email update on my order, being delayed, changed or otherwise.  I wanted the gin blossoms from them but refuse to order based off this experience.   Currently traveling and came across it at a shop, just couldn't pull the trigger based off this experience.  Just bad, I have no idea how they stay afloat ignoring customers.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever ordered from thegrouchandeligh.com? I ordered the WinterFire EP wayyyyyyy back in early December and never got anything. I messaged the customer support on the site twice now, I have messaged both Eligh and The Grouch through email and instagram. The Grouch responded once and said he would look into it and fix it for me but that was 2+ months ago and has not said or replied to a message since. Sucks because I have been a huge fan of both of these guys for a super long time but all respect has been lost and I say fuck both of them at this point. Super shady, I have dealt with endless amounts of artists and they are usually always ready to make things right. Since it has been so long I do not even know if I can even do much with my CreditCard, it was one of the few times I did not use Paypal of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 10:34 PM, hype said:

Has anyone ever ordered from thegrouchandeligh.com? I ordered the WinterFire EP wayyyyyyy back in early December and never got anything. I messaged the customer support on the site twice now, I have messaged both Eligh and The Grouch through email and instagram. The Grouch responded once and said he would look into it and fix it for me but that was 2+ months ago and has not said or replied to a message since. Sucks because I have been a huge fan of both of these guys for a super long time but all respect has been lost and I say fuck both of them at this point. Super shady, I have dealt with endless amounts of artists and they are usually always ready to make things right. Since it has been so long I do not even know if I can even do much with my CreditCard, it was one of the few times I did not use Paypal of course.

Just in case anyone sees this that is contemplating ordering from the site it finally came to a conclusion. 5 months later (was supposed to be 3-5 days ha) and tons of emails I finally got the record randomly in an odd shaped box that was way too big with no protection. Luckily it only had a few corner bends (I was just happy to end this). I am 99% sure the only reason I even got it in the end is because I contacted another artist who knows The Grouch and Eligh and bugged them TWICE for me. I still never got any messages back from neither The Grouch or Eligh besides the one I got months ago so needless to say I still lost a ton of respect for both of them with the zero fucks given attitude. Hands down the worst experience I ever had dealing with an independent artist. Pretty much every other time it was a complete 180 experience.

Best - 24Hundred / UNFD in Australia.

Worst - MTS (lol). Then SRC for sure. They always get stuff there in the end, but EVERY record is a delay, they take forever to reply to emails / contact back.
I've literally had records show up 12 months after the original release date due to delays. That said, I'll never stop buying from them because they have all the Blink -182 exclusives.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Just checked their twitter, looks like a pretty active label to me. I believe the guy that runs the label posts here. 

Just wondering. I have purchased a couple of things in the past with no issues, but I purchased  a record on May 31 and haven't received any updates on my order. In the past I usually would receive a shipping notification three days after purchase. I sent an email onTuesday and I haven't heard back. It' s not a big deal, I just wasn't sure if there was something I was unaware of. 

A big boo/hiss for Razor & Tie

I got the The Sword's Low Country RSD release that had obvious pressing issues,

Tons of surface noise and distortion.

A number of complaints about the same issue on Discogs.

My(and others, apparently) many phone calls, emails, and facebook messages all went unanswered.

I eventually asked Bull Moose(place of purchase) if they knew how to get in touch with them.

They offered an exchange with reimbursement for shipping even though I'm sure a lot of places would not be as accommodating. 

I returned it and said that they didn't need to cover return shipping, they refunded it anyway.

Luckily, the new copy sounds great.

I feel badly for the poor bastards out there  that got stuck with a defective copy.

Big ups to Bull Moose!

Edited by Smellman

Just ordered a couple records from Madoviashop Distro last week. I was checking their shop at work during the day, but had to wait until I got home from work to place an order. When I got home, the variant of the record I wanted was sold out, so I decided to order a different version instead. When I went to place the order there was an option to add a note, so I decided to ask about the out of stock item. No more than an hour later I got a reply saying they may be getting the item in stock before my order shipped. Sure enough the next day I got confirmation that I would be receiving the item I originally intended to order. When the records showed up, ahead of schedule, they were packaged like a tank! Great communication and great customer service!

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of people don't like merchnow, but I just now had my first issue with them. So I received a record I ordered on May 31, but it was the wrong variant. They were quick to send me another one, I received the correct one by the first week of June. However, they never sent a return label for the incorrect variant. The last email I got from when was asking if they could email a return label, this was on June 26. They still haven't emailed me a return label. It's kind of annoying to have to set this record aside for over a month, I haven't contacted them again, but are they going to end up charging me for the second record if they don't receive it in a certain time?

2 minutes ago, underwaterzoo said:

I know a lot of people don't like merchnow, but I just now had my first issue with them. So I received a record I ordered on May 31, but it was the wrong variant. They were quick to send me another one, I received the correct one by the first week of June. However, they never sent a return label for the incorrect variant. The last email I got from when was asking if they could email a return label, this was on June 26. They still haven't emailed me a return label. It's kind of annoying to have to set this record aside for over a month, I haven't contacted them again, but are they going to end up charging me for the second record if they don't receive it in a certain time?

Your best bet is to call. I talked to some dumb ass when I called. I told her she sent the wrong record.  She tells me "I packed your order. The album you ordered was out if stock, so I sent that one instead."  If I wanted it, I would have ordered it.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?