Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I've had perfectly fine experiences with Vinyl Collective, Mylene Sheath, No Idea, Interpunk, Denovali, Broken Circles, DreamOver, Pirate's Press, Magic Bullet and Insound.

The only questionable experience I ever had was with Aural Exploits. After Thrice's Alchemy Index came out, I sent 3 unanswered messages about replacing the defective Earth record over two months. I only received a response when I threatened legal action.

i think i am the only one who likes merchnow as they have always been on point for me .

i cant say anything bad about any distro or company as the times i have had a problem , like the 2 times my fat records came bent to shit , they fixed it fairly . so its all good .

but i love

its alive

fat

epitaph

no idea

kiss of death

vc

merch now

smartpunk

and of coarse interpunk

many more i am forgetting .

Amazon - the worst.

Told me it was my fault that the record they shipped me didn't have my name on it.

Fuckers

Amen to that, my wife tried to order me, Murder Ballads on cd for my birthday back in August, they finally got back to her in mid November saying they can't locate it and cancelled her order. I was like, Fuck em', this weekend while in Mass, I was 10 minutes outside of NH, drove over found a Newbury Comics and picked it up used, great ride back to Jersey, Screw Amazon, I only buy digital music from them if that...................

i used to keep a list of these places, good and bad, but got rid of it. i will only list the best and the worst, not every place i order from:

BEST:

vinyl junkie distro (one time something i ordered couldn't be located so he replaced it with a record from a band that was local to my area. totally awesome.)

VC (the occasional problem of missing/misplaced items, but they all have been resolved with excellent communication. good people.)

WORST:

dr. strange (fuck this place. paid $15+ for priority shipping and they sent it media mail, never got refunded for it. charged me for items that were not included in the shipped package as well. they owe me about $15-20 but i am hesitant to ever order from them again.)

crime mailorder (rip offs plain and simple. made a few orders that went fine, then all of a sudden they closed shop and ripped off who knows how many people.)

I forgot to mention how fantastic Goner Records is. While I've never had a problem, they always respond to emails quickly and courteously and their system keeps you posted on every step of the process (you get an email about your order, an email when it's packed and an email when it ships, and they sometimes write personal little notes). Goner is the fucking BUSINESS, so get with the program and buy some shit from Goner Records!

i used to keep a list of these places, good and bad, but got rid of it. i will only list the best and the worst, not every place i order from:

dr. strange (fuck this place. paid $15+ for priority shipping and they sent it media mail, never got refunded for it. charged me for items that were not included in the shipped package as well. they owe me about $15-20 but i am hesitant to ever order from them again.)

Wow! This is the total opposite of my experience with Dr. Strange. One time Dr. Strange sent me the wrong record (well, right record, wrong pressing), I sent an email and within minutes my phone rang and it was the store asking me what I wanted instead. They shipped it out and I returned the other record. It was some of the best cusotmer service EVER!

WORST:

Thats Odd. The dude has been nothing but great with me. i have been ordering from dr strange since they only have quarterly mail order catalogs and you had to mail in your cash. not one problem ever in the last 12+ years.

And the last few times i got my package upgraded to priority and actually felt bad since i paid like 5 bucks for media mail, and the priority mail cost as much as the records i ordered.

But i guess every places fucks up every once in a while.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also had a great experience with TDR Records a couple weeks ago. Shipping was quick, and the owner (Mike) wrote a cool handwritten thank-you note on the back of an Office quotes calendar.

Sometimes the tiniest cool gestures really stand out, and I'll definitely be ordering from them again.

i feel the need for shameless self promotion ... anyone who likes to mailorder punk records please feel free to check out the Grave Mistake distro / webstore (www.gravemistakerecords.com/catalog) ... I carry a LOT more than just what my label releases (plenty of non hardcore too) and I'm always adding new stuff and trying to get more diverse. I ship orders fast and package them well, plus i answer my emails and questions quickly! hope to one day make it on more of these lists ::)

back to the topic at hand, i don't do that much mailorder since I get a lot of distro stuff but here are some of my favorites:

vinyl collective

firestarter / toxic pop

sorry state records

judging off wholesale orders i do for my distro, the following have impeccable service as well:

no idea

dischord

douchemaster

feral ward records

i can't say i've had too many horror stories with mailorder ...

also in regards to valiant death, my band used to practice at the house where that dude bucky lived, he'd always be working on stuff and seemed to be on the level. then i guess he just dropped the ball HARD ... kind of shitty. can't say i was a fan of anything he put out but sucks for people that got burned ... including a dude i know who got burned on covers when bucky started his "printing" company that consisted of a laser printer.

I've been lucky and never had issues when ordering from labels or distros. I've only run in to issues on Ebay and with one dude over on deadformat earlier this year.

Great places I've order from recently:

Vinyl Collective

Interpunk

Revhq

Sabot

No Idea

Robotic Empire

Insound

Deathwish

Sideonedummy

Vinyl Junkie

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

If anybody ever orders anything from Forge Again Records, I'd like you to know that those short black hairs are CAT HAIR, and not pubes. So don't hold that against me.

I thought I was the only one with that problem - ha! :)

I'm a few pages behind on this still, but here's my list (and this is from things I've ordered as a customer):

Good experiences (my top is a tie between VC and No Idea, followed by Hot Topic's customer service):

VC

No Idea

Interpunk

Epitaph / King's Merch

Fat Wreck (though no email I have ever sent has been replied to)

Asian Man

Jump Start

Hot Topic (not the best packaging though)

Epitaph

Doghouse

Only time I've been screwed over recently was with Merch Now. Shorted me records, emailed them multiple times, called and left multiple messages, nada.

Guest naytoid

I need to add in Different Kitchen records in the UK, the man who runs this is a champion of the mail order business. Never fails and regular like clockwork.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?