Fifteen is the greatest band in the world!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can remember when i was 16, a long time ago, hearing fifteen for the first time on cassette in my history class in high school! this band changed my life, i know it changed my brothers! for the next couple years all i listened to was fifteen, jawbreaker, avail, donuts n glory, crimpshrine, propagandhi, and i spy! those were some great years even know i wasnt doing great! ffifteen is in my top 5 bands:

honor system

lawrence arms

fifteen

broadways

the ghost

next 5 for shits and giggles

jawbreaker

propagandhi

cursive

crimpshrine

avail

honorable mention: death cab

now this is just me talking but alkaline trio's words have little meaning. Dogs shitting razorblades....i mean funny shit but no meaning.

See, now that's a subjective statement. I don't think there's necessarily any intellectual depth to A3's lyrics, that doesn't mean they don't touch other people. And I don't think it's any great speculation to think that A3 has more fans than Fifteen.

Like I said, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think Fifteen has a great message. I enjoy A3, but wouldn't say they did anything for me, intellectually. The band that's influenced my thinking the most is Propagandhi and I would put Fifteen almost in that strata of thought-provoking.

now this is just me talking but alkaline trio's words have little meaning. Dogs shitting razorblades....i mean funny shit but no meaning.

See, now that's a subjective statement. I don't think there's necessarily any intellectual depth to A3's lyrics, that doesn't mean they don't touch other people. And I don't think it's any great speculation to think that A3 has more fans than Fifteen.

Like I said, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think Fifteen has a great message. I enjoy A3, but wouldn't say they did anything for me, intellectually. The band that's influenced my thinking the most is Propagandhi and I would put Fifteen almost in that strata of thought-provoking.

First of all, thanks to the cat who posted the pdf with the rape statistics...scary shit man.

Second, I strongly agree with Casey. I love Fifteen, Crimpshrine, etc., but to say that other bands don't have an effect on people is a bit of a stretch. I have never really listened to A3, but if you were to ask Dan on this board about the impact they have had on his life, your statement would be proven false.

The same could be said about myself and SW. Sure, Ben Weasel himself is supposedly a dick (I have never met the man, but he sure seems to rub people the wrong way...ask the Zonkster), but his music, for me at least, has been there for me during good and bad times. The same could be said about Fifteen, Crimpshrine, Op Ivy, The Vindictives, and about every other punk band in my record collection.

I think my problem seems to be liking too many bands. ;D

my top 5 bands:

honor system

lawrence arms

fifteen

broadways

the ghost

I'll admit that I have been quite late getting in to a lot of bands (other than Oh! Calcutta! by the Lawrence Arms, I hadn't heard anything by any of these bands until about a year ago), but since the other four bands on this list are currently near the top of my list, I'm excited for those represses, Randy

i hadn't opened this thread since the first few posts were made, but somebody pointed me in its direction again after casey and santiago (jimmythescumbag) brought me up...

for the record, i love jeff ott's music. if you guys have never heard the release entitled "Epithysial Union," i highly suggest seeking it out. it's a split with this girl named amanda, all the songs are acoustic. some really powerful stuff on that album. as for what type of guy he is, i know nothing first-hand. i've never met him, i've never spoken to him. i know only what i've heard/read online. seems to me like he had a lot of demons growing up and as a younger man, and that he realized the errors of his ways at some point or another.

it's a shame that there had to be two (known) victims left in his path, and it's a little naive of him - in my opinion - to think that just because he apologized to one of them, that she has forgiven him and doesn't care anymore. maybe that girl is just putting the past behind her so it doesn't ruin the rest of her life and she doesn't drive herself insane thinking about it all the time, but i can hardly believe that anybody who has gone through something like that can just forgive and forget with the flip of a switch. but that really isn't the point of this post, either.

to me, music has been an incredibly big influence on my life. i can honestly say that without some of the music i listened to in high school, i wouldn't be alive today. i went through some pretty shitty times and was at a bad place in my life. but listening to bands like jawbreaker, alkaline trio, the get up kids, etc. i realized that i wasn't the only one going through that shit. i realized that there was more to live for. so when i hear people talk about how a certain band "can't have a major impact" on somebody else's life, no matter how popular or unpopular said band is, i can't help but shake my head in disappointment.

do i like bands like the black eyed peas, or rascall flats, or even the hold steady? no, i don't. but i know some people do, and to some people, those bands mean the world to them just like alkaline trio means the world to me. i haven't gone through the same life that anybody else has, so there's no way for me to know what chord their music strikes in their heart, and what impact their songs can have/have had on their life.

i don't think people need to force themselves to appreciate a band just because somebody else says that band saved their life, but i don't think anybody has the right to tell somebody else that the music they dig isn't qualified to be respected. i know that for wayne (f.t.w.), jeff ott and fifteen mean as much as alkaline trio does to me. he has gone through totally different things than i have. and whether i like fifteen or not is inconsequential. if i have any respect for wayne, i just hear what he has to say and admire him for finding something in his life to be that passionate about.

I like that Dan and Wayne have reasons for their liking of bands. i personally dont see it with ALKaline trio, but i respect dan enough to understand where he's coming from. Mine was personally Jawbreaker and Los Crudos. More los crudos because martin was always a good friend and he was there to bullshit with me and make realize shit isn't so bad, etc etc.. he always had something positive to say. crimpshrine always had a positive effect on me as well... sure the guy has a past, but he's human, people make mistakes. I have always found myself having sympathy for anyone who is completely sorry for their past shit no matter what it is.. I feel forgiving someone is a whole lot easier that holding some deep seeded anger for someone if they are truly repentant. I've made some serious mistakes i care not to speak of and people have forgiven me and i do the same now.

Sure i may be talking out of my ass, probably because i'm drunk but oh well....

Jawbreaker still rules, and i love Swain's First Bike Ride...blah...

The sad part is...some kid is gonna grow up and feel this way about a crabcore band... :P

i know you say that mostly in jest, but that's what i'm talking about! and don't take this as me preaching to you, because i know you're a good guy and were just fucking around, but...

if, for some reason, a band like brokencyde or hollywood undead genuinely meant a lot to somebody, enough that they didn't commit suicide, or enough that they tried to turn their life around in a positive way, then good for that kid. you and i don't have to respect the band, and you and i don't have to like what they put out, but i think it's ignorant to tell somebody else that something (whether it's music, or religion, or anything...) that they feel strongly about isn't worth admiring.

for instance, every time my mom sees the alkaline trio logo, she always cringes and gets upset that the logo has a skull in it. the thing is, i don't really care what she thinks about them, because i don't listen to them for her. i listen to them to keep myself going.

again, i know you were joking around, but when people say that shit on the serious, it's depressing.

now i love the way this thread has gone. I do believe regardless of the music, music has a impact on us metally and physically. Like Dan said if it helps you through a rough time, helped you not kill yourself or just gave you perspective on your life and where you stand. To me to sit back and think about how powerful music is blows my mind and some people take that for granted. I think sometimes bands take for granted the fact that a kid may tell them man your muisic changed my life. Some bands to take that to heart and embrace that fact, but some brush it off like yeah what ever. I think thats whats great about the punk scene (i use that term loosly) bands actually write music about important things, things that matter. Things others can connect to.

Me personally my all time favorite song isnt even punk ska hardcore emo or anything like that its Louis Armstrong "what a wonderful world" i am a man but everytime i hear that song it hits a certain part in my heart and i get a little teary eyed.

Dan i didnt mean to bash ALK3 and their lyric content i was just trying to make a lyrical example. I know this band means just as much to you as fifteen means to me and wayne and Randy. And that solo album you were talking about its great, more like amazing. I higly recommend it to anyone interested in it.

and calling someone a serial rapist is? thisisahijack? and whats it to you? it's called making a point and im not ashamed of who i am and what my life is about. maybe you need to deal with your own shit sir!

this is the first time i have been logged in since the last post i made in this thread, but i just wanted to follow up on my post and say i did not mean what i said in a dick-ish way, though that is probably how it came out. if you have dealt with and come to terms with whatever has happened to you and are unashamed to let it be known, then more power to you. the reason i said that is that this is the internet, and people on the internet have no souls so anything you do or say can be brought back up at any given point in the future on the darkest corners of the internet. but again, if you are fine with it then my previous statement is void.

and calling someone a serial rapist is? thisisahijack? and whats it to you? it's called making a point and im not ashamed of who i am and what my life is about. maybe you need to deal with your own shit sir!

this is the first time i have been logged in since the last post i made in this thread, but i just wanted to follow up on my post and say i did not mean what i said in a dick-ish way, though that is probably how it came out. if you have dealt with and come to terms with whatever has happened to you and are unashamed to let it be known, then more power to you. the reason i said that is that this is the internet, and people on the internet have no souls so anything you do or say can be brought back up at any given point in the future on the darkest corners of the internet. but again, if you are fine with it then my previous statement is void.

well said