Your feedback about Every Time I Die

Guest admin1338560633

I have been going back and forth with my graphic artist about how we should do the art for the new Every Time I Die vinyl. I took some of your suggestions of doing a picture sleeve insert that could be put into the box set, but he thought that it might be silly to do that and I guess all the people he talked to thought so too.

I was thinking of doing a regular jacket, maybe a gatefold jacket and a picture sleeve that would have the same cover art and backside as the jacket so that if people chose, they could put it into their box sets. He thought that most people would opt to keep the picture sleeve and record with the Big Dirty jacket.

Your thoughts? I am pretty open to suggestions.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy whatever you make, but as the person that came up with the idea to make a picture sleve for the box set, I think silly is a little strong. Was it silly to make a box set and put picture sleves in it? No. So why is it silly to do the same thing now?

But really, whatever. I just thought it would be a nice way for people who have the box set to store it all together since theres room in the box. It's a lot more original idea than a "gatefold with some sweet colors."

My best case scenario would be to do a small run of picture sleve-only presses for people that want to put it in the box. Make that record the super-rarest color available. Then do regular record covers for the other pressings. Everyone wins.

Guest scriptedrain
I'll buy whatever you make, but as the person that came up with the idea to make a picture sleve for the box set, I think silly is a little strong. Was it silly to make a box set and put picture sleves in it? No. So why is it silly to do the same thing now?

But really, whatever. I just thought it would be a nice way for people who have the box set to store it all together since theres room in the box. It's a lot more original idea than a "gatefold with some sweet colors."

My best case scenario would be to do a small run of picture sleve-only presses for people that want to put it in the box. Make that record the super-rarest color available. Then do regular record covers for the other pressings. Everyone wins.

If originality is the name of the game, release the thing on a rainbow colored octogon record in jagged fold-out packaging and seal it with a hand numbered scratch-and-sniff sticker.

What happens when the 5th album comes out? I mean you gotta let box sets be box sets.

- Jeff

oakland, I did not say it was silly, our graphic designer thought it was. I started this thread because of your original suggestion which I took very seriously.

I will let you guys all talk it out and when I get back from my weekend away from computers, I will read all of your suggestions and make a decision.

thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Virgil, that's what I thought. I wasn't addressing you.

You could fit 5 lps in that box for pete's sake. Gimme a break. I don't care if you don't like the idea, really. But make a reasonable argument against it, considering you could (under my scenario) get it either way. Virgil would just have to order, say, 100 less outer sleeves for the people that want to put the record in the box set. Then maybe make a sticker to go on the front of the box set to add "Big Dirty" to the cover.

I got it by the way and it's way better than the last one. They have redeemed themselves.

But do you press the exact amount of Big Dirty picture sleeve copies that there are of the box set? What if all 1000 people don't order it? (Which is probably a possibility.) You can't sell them in stores or even in your regular online store, because I can't imagine people who don't have the box set wanting to pick up that version over a regular version.

As cool as I think the idea is, I think it will be too much trouble than it's worth for Virgil to do a limited picture-sleeve run just for us. We're being a little selfish here.

yeah, i think i vote for a full new package. the boxed set is of the first three full lengths. fantastic, red white and blue records. virgil's done a great job on all his pressings and packaging (especially the MTB), so i have faith that whatever he decides to do for this next record will be amazing, regardless if it fits in the box set or not.

Here's an idea:

Make the inside sleeve a picture sleeve with the same artwork as the CD release. Then make a plain outer jacket, maybe just brown cardstock (inside out sleeve gives the "matte" effect, even though it's just the "back" of the paper) with the script "I" logo stenciled on, in that magenta color from the cover. Well maybe not LITERALLY stenciled, but printed to look like it is. Then on the back, just have "The Big Dirty" printed on in the same color. This way you have "alternate" artwork for the outside, but then anyone who wants to put it in their box set can do that, too.

Oh, and magenta vinyl with a cream swirl or splatter. I'm all about a consistent theme.

i have the boxset but i dont really see the point of adding another sleeve/record to the box. gatefold or regular cover is fine by me. at the end of the day its your thing and you can do whats going to make sense to you. no matter what not everyone is going to pleased

just do what you want and im sure people are still going to buy it.

WEll, maybe you could do a preorder of the people that want the record/sleve to ad to the box set, then press that amount. Shit, I don't know. I'm telling you though, make it he rarest color, with super, duper low numbers and he'll sell them all, no question. Hell, do 100 on bird shit vinyl and do all the other colors with full packaging at numbers in the 500-1000 range. I'm telling you, they'd be gone gone.

I can see the posts now: "I didn't really want the insert one, but it was the rarest color so I bought that and the regular one."

The more I think about it the less selfish and more benificiary it would be for Virgil.

I was thinking of doing a regular jacket, maybe a gatefold jacket and a picture sleeve that would have the same cover art and backside as the jacket so that if people chose, they could put it into their box sets. He thought that most people would opt to keep the picture sleeve and record with the Big Dirty jacket.

basically thats what i think would make more sense.

also if you have or haven't noticed it doesnt seem like virgil does do a typical "limited edition" on most of the recent records. most numbers are evenly split whether its 500/500 or 4 editions of 250. pretty good idea if you ask me. get more people stoked on the music rather than the "limitedness" of the record.

:)

i have 3 ideas for this press....

1) only press on colour vinyl with gatefold jacket.2,3,4 colours (like you pressed on minus the bear and portugal the man),whatever.

2) put the extra box fit jacket for the oerder that order all colours or make offer it on package deal.you must invest more bucks for print the special box fit jacket but i believe fans of ETID who wanna collect their all vinyl will like it.they can collect all colours of this press with special jacket that they can put one of this new album for put in the box.

3) press the special colour for special box fit jacket.if you press on gatefold jacket for 4 colours,you may put special colour for special packet.ETID fan who wanna put this new album on ETID box must order the special colour and i might limited to 300 copies like you ever press on ETID colour version box set.

sorry if these idea is bother you....