Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

So, I'm looking into finding some cool record stores around the country to check out on vacation this summer. I thought it would be cool if everyone listed information about good record stores in their city. If you could list as much information as possible such as a website, pics, address, phone number and maybe give a quick overview or personal opinion of the store.

Here I will get things started with a good place in my area,

Vinyl Conflict

324 S. Pine St.

Richmond, VA, 23220

http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php#!/pages/Richmond-VA/Vinyl-Conflict-Record-Store/101077423935?ref=ts

http://www.myspace.com/vinylconflictrva

http://vinylconflict.com/store/

There's some info. Don't let the website fool you they do have a really extensive selection. You really have to stop by the place to see the variety of items they carry. However they tend to only carry punk, hardcore, and indie music.

I have a few more for my area I don't know how many of you are interested in Va. spots if so I'll list more. In particular I'm looking for some good spots in Fl. especially Orlando. But I'm interested in finding places everywhere.

List your favorite record stores!!!!

I've never been to any of the record stores in Orlando, but Tampa has 3 pretty good ones. Mojo is my favorite because they have a really good selection of new & used, decent prices and a shit ton of books. I've had some really good finds at Vinyl Fever. Sound Exchange is hit or miss, but it's better than a lot of other stores I've been to.

We've had a few threads like this but they never get stickied. SOMEONE PLZ STICKY THIS ONE!!!

As far as Orlando goes, all of the stores I go to have been ridiculously overpriced. Ebay prices or higher, which for me is pointless. Why go out and use gas and toll money to pick up a record for the same price as I can order it for from my home.

If you come through Gainesville, definitely check out Hyde and Zekes and Wayward Council. Hyde and Zekes as a decent used punk/indie/hardcore section, and I've gotten tons of good scores there. Wayward Council is not for profit and volunteer run, so you're pretty much guaranteed not to get ripped off. Not a lot of used stuff, but every once in awhile they'll get in crazy used stuff, usually No Idea, and put a decent price on it.

Hyde and Zeke's

402 Northwest 10th Avenue

Gainesville, FL 32601-4233

(352) 376-1687

Wayward

807 W University Ave., Gainesville, FL 32601

I should also mention that finding wayward council open is hit or miss. It's usually a safe bet to go around 1-2, but no guarantees.

We've had a few threads like this but they never get stickied. SOMEONE PLZ STICKY THIS ONE!!!

As far as Orlando goes, all of the stores I go to have been ridiculously overpriced. Ebay prices or higher, which for me is pointless. Why go out and use gas and toll money to pick up a record for the same price as I can order it for from my home.

If you come through Gainesville, definitely check out Hyde and Zekes and Wayward Council. Hyde and Zekes as a decent used punk/indie/hardcore section, and I've gotten tons of good scores there. Wayward Council is not for profit and volunteer run, so you're pretty much guaranteed not to get ripped off. Not a lot of used stuff, but every once in awhile they'll get in crazy used stuff, usually No Idea, and put a decent price on it.

Hyde and Zeke's

402 Northwest 10th Avenue

Gainesville, FL 32601-4233

(352) 376-1687

Wayward

807 W University Ave., Gainesville, FL 32601

I should also mention that finding wayward council open is hit or miss. It's usually a safe bet to go around 1-2, but no guarantees.

Yeah I'm hoping we keep this one because I searched for a thread about record stores totally couldn't find one.

Anyway I'm def gonna be coming through Gainesville in the year so this helps!! I'm adding it to my list thank you!

Bummer about Orlando I have a few trips planned there. I find a lot of places there are over priced. I guess because it's a tourist spot? Have you ever stopped by Park Ave CDs I'd like to know if that place is worth checking out.

Milwaukee

Rush Mor Records - http://www.rushmor.com/

Madison

B Side - http://www.b-sidemadison.com/

Ear Wax - http://www.earwaxwisconsin.com/

And there's a bunch of shops called Exclusive Company all over the state and they're all pretty nice.

Exclusive is backed.

Denver, Colorado

Twist and Shout

2508 East Colfax Avenue

Denver, CO 80206

(303) 722-1943

Probably Denver's best record store. Great vinyl selection, used vinyl, instores, and a great staff.

Wax Trax

638 East 13th Avenue

Denver, CO 80203-2613

(303) 860-0127

Wax Trax has been around for ages. The Ramones used to shop here, Ric Ocasik used to shop here. They used to have 2 great locations (one in boulder also). I used to work at the Boulder location. The store has a good used selection of vinyl, but their overall selection is not as good as Twist and Shout.

THANKS VIRGIL!

I've been to Park Ave. I feel like I might have missed something because everyone talks about how awesome it is, but their used section, which is what I prefer to shop for, was tiny, maybe 50 records, most of them overpriced. They did have an enormous new vinyl section with decent selection if I recall correctly. They also had a deal where if you spent a certain amount of money you got a free LP or 7" from a box they. It was mostly a bunch of promo stuff, but the amount of money you had to spend was very reasonable. Granted this was 2 years ago probably, so it could have changed.

I did go to Rock n Roll Heaven in Orlando a couple weeks ago and I thought it was terrible. Some people here like it, but it wasn't for me. I guess I'm just spoiled. Hyde and Zekes caters to my liking too much. Pretty much all used punk/indie records are priced 6-10 bucks, and stuff that he knows is rare gets priced fairly. I got a tour pressing of Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops for $20 bucks over the summer that he had just found laying around the back of the shop. Often times rare stuff slips through the cracks too.

THANKS VIRGIL!

I've been to Park Ave. I feel like I might have missed something because everyone talks about how awesome it is, but their used section, which is what I prefer to shop for, was tiny, maybe 50 records, most of them overpriced. They did have an enormous new vinyl section with decent selection if I recall correctly. They also had a deal where if you spent a certain amount of money you got a free LP or 7" from a box they. It was mostly a bunch of promo stuff, but the amount of money you had to spend was very reasonable. Granted this was 2 years ago probably, so it could have changed.

I did go to Rock n Roll Heaven in Orlando a couple weeks ago and I thought it was terrible. Some people here like it, but it wasn't for me. I guess I'm just spoiled. Hyde and Zekes caters to my liking too much. Pretty much all used punk/indie records are priced 6-10 bucks, and stuff that he knows is rare gets priced fairly. I got a tour pressing of Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops for $20 bucks over the summer that he had just found laying around the back of the shop. Often times rare stuff slips through the cracks too.

Thanks so much this helps! I might check out Rock and Roll Heaven. I found them on the web looks like not much of a punk/indie selection. I'll have to stop by all of these stores now thanks for the help!

I went to some random record store on South St. in Philly and most of the selection stuff, but the guys had a bunch of stuff that he didn't know was worth anything. This was over the summer. I picked up the first Cursive LP on Crank!, Get Up Kids - On a Wire, Boys Life/Christie Front Drive split, Cursive/Silver Scooter Split, Karate - In Place of Real Insight, and a Promise Ring record for $42 total I think. Maybe someone can help me out here, but I can't remember the name. Sorry.

The only record store in my town is calle Oz Music, it's alright...mostly CD's only in the past 3-4 years have they started carrying newer Vinyl releases (i feel somewhat resposible for that...after repeatadly asking them)...They focus almost exclusively on "Indie" artists in their Vinyl endeavours...I suppose the only market for it. At anyrate here's their only website, it's a myspace page. I don't have google maps thing, but there's a link to a google-map of their store on the myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/ozmusiconline THE MAIN STREET SHOPPING COMPLEX store closed about a year ago...so if by some odd chance anybody attempts to stop by there...it ain't there anymore.

Up in Huntsville, AL my friends' Ashley and Andy own a record store called Vertical House Records, it's relatively small, but it is absolutely JAM-PACKED. They have an excellent selection of New and Used, their prices are insanely low for a Mom & Pops style record store. They have live shows pretty often, the building that their store is housed in is a giant Arts Collective building with tons of shops, studio spaces, a few different theaters for Plays, Film-Screenings, Rock Shows, ect. The building is called The Lowe Mill. Their website for everything Vertical House is http://theverticalhouse.com/, the website for just their record store is http://theverticalhouse.com/recordstore.html (this has their physical address). Again, I don't have Google or Google-Maps, whatever was said, so if anybody wants to put that in on that map, go for it.

in Birmingham, AL there are a few record stores...the only one I've been to is Charlemagne Records. It's located in 5-points, pretty good. their Myspace page has the actual address. (again with the google-maps) http://www.myspace.com/charlemagnerecordexchange

agree with scott...plus i doubt anybody on this board will ever come through Alabama...and if they do, probably won't be stopping at a small record store.

that said...I know all you Austinites and Texas kids will probably hate me for this...but Waterloo Records in Austin...I've yet to not be able to find anything I was looking for there...the 4 times I've been there

agree with scott...plus i doubt anybody on this board will ever come through Alabama...and if they do, probably won't be stopping at a small record store.

that said...I know all you Austinites and Texas kids will probably hate me for this...but Waterloo Records in Austin...I've yet to not be able to find anything I was looking for there...the 4 times I've been there

False. One time I was driving through Alabama and saw a sign that just said records on the side of the road. Followed the signs and went to some guy's house and knocked in his door. He let me into his garage and he had a ton of records. Lots of really decently priced classic rock and 80s stuff. Not my cup of tea, but he had some cool stuff for sure. I guess he was just a huge collector who got cancer and was selling off his stuff. I couldn't tell you where in Alabama this was though.

Minnesota

St. Paul -

Eclipse Records

1922 University Ave. W

St. Paul, MN

http://www.myspace.com/eclipserecords651

Video games, records, they have a space for shows. awesome.

Minneapolis -

Extreme Noise

407 West Lake Street

Minneapolis, MN 55408-2910

(612) 824-0100

http://www.extremenoise.com/

Place is so good. If you ever come to town, definitely come check it out.

double false I'm sure I'll be coming through Alabama. I've got fmaily there now. It's just cool to know where record shops are. People that are moving can find new shops and you can stop by a new shop if you are on the road!